• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Wildcat vs. 80cft scuba tank

I will be the proud owner of a FX Wildcat in the very near future and this is my fist PCP.

Here are a couple of questions for Wildcat owner:
~ how many usable fills I should expect to get from a 3,500 psi 80 cft scuba tank?
~ what pressure should I stop shooting the Wildcat at before the accuracy goes away? 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Regards,
Arch

You'll need to do the math. Lot of different fill calculators, here is one
http://www.airhog.com/A27_Capacity_Calc.php

Your refill psi will be where ever your regulator is set ( or somewhat lower if everything is balanced). One nice thing about a regulator is you are still in your sweet spot no matter now much air you have as long as it is above the reg. set point every shot will be the same.
Havent read what the reg is set at from the factory, sorry.
John

I have a 25 Marauder with a 3000 psi fill pressure and have 1500 psi to play with before I start getting partial fills. I think the wildcat fills to about the max on the tank you speak of. If you get a 3500 tank you will go to partial fills after the first fill and that is if you can get the shop to fill to 3500. The problem is all tanks heat up when filled and loose some pressure when they cool down so you might not even get one complete fill. Other issue is steel tanks are HEAVY as in 40 to 50 pounds. Most carbon tanks run 15 to maybe 20 pounds and just look cool. Get one with a clear finish where you can see the fibers. If you get one with a slow flow valve you can sneak up on your fill pressure and not heat up the tank on the gun. You should be able to look up what the regulator on the wildcat is set at. I would shoot down to that pressure then refill. You will know when you are off the regulator when your velocity drops off and point of impact begins to drop. Before you buy a cf tank be sure to find someone who can fill to 4500. Best yet is to have a buddy at the Fire Dept. who can get your tank filled. Other than price the only downside to cf tanks is they have a 15 year life span then its time for a new tank. You should be able to use you old valve but it might be a good idea to buy a new fill hose at that time.

Do yourself a favor. Spend the extra $200-$300 for a nice cf tank with a long micro bore fill hose.

Yes Dan25 is right. If the Wildcat has a max fill of 3,500 psi then a SCUBA tank is useless. A 4,500 psi carbon fiber tank with a slo-flo valve and micro bore hose is what you want. Also make sure you get the proper fittings for whoever is going to fill it. Find someone to fill it first, then see what they require. You can then order it so configured. There are also small high pressure air compressors that many of us airgunners use.
Good luck and welcome!

Yeah CF is more but for my 600 dollar tank, 15 years is 40 bucks a year. 20 bucks every 5 years to hydro test. Not bad for a sweet looking, light weight setup. (And maybe safer?) I am still looking for a 4500 capable place. My fire station is across the street, may ask them. Dive shop across the other street fills to 3200 and I still got useful 6 fillups out of it on my 500cc Wolverine. For 5 bucks fill a pop, I am not messing with Shoeboxes and the like, for now.

"AV8OR2"Thanks Guys for the information...the members on this website are GREAT and a GREAT source of information..
I have a buddy who bought a air compressor from a local fire dept so the 4500PSI is not gonna be a problem (once I get the CF tank).
Hey AV8OR2! I looked through the replies and nobody seemed to answer your second question clearly. I own a wildcat and have great pellet on pellet accuracy with it until around 150bar or around 2000 psi. Feel free pm me if you have any questions, especially disassembling it because i couldn't find much info on doing so.