• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Wildcat Stock Weight Differences

Following is some data I wish I had prior to my purchase. Upfront - I love both Wildcats that I own. .22 and .177 and I highly recommend both.

Attached is a photo of the two wildcats being discussed. One in Gray/Black Laminate and one in Soft Touch Black Synthetic. The laminate was a $300 up charge over the synthetic. I don't own a walnut Wildcat stock but I see that they are $200 upcharge.

After owning 7 FXs in the past few years; I have formulated my opinion that FX is an industry leader for soft touch synthetics. Light, durable, very comfy to the touch. The wood and laminate examples in my possession have definitely not been best of industry examples, given the normal practice of upcharges over synthetic. That being said, I have heard you can request of certain retailers for their "best examples" or "premium grade" examples much like the secret menu at Starbucks. The walnut examples of FX guns that were sent to me have been nice in coloration in warm darker tones but the wood was almost featureless in grain or character. The laminates have been well constructed and sturdy but have had numerous areas where the stains they were applying didn't take to the wood to color it. No, these light misshaped areas were not intended. They are obvious defects that don't match the color, flow, or shape of the areas immediately around them. My Wildcat laminate has nine of these light spots in random places on each side.

Weights for Wildcat Stocks:

Black and Gray Laminate = 2 lbs and 0.2 ounces

Black Soft Touch Synthetic = 1 lb 9 ounces

I am not necessarily a weight weeny but that's about 7 ounces difference. Or the weight of a couple Quarter Pounders with Cheeses (disclaimer- burger weights prior to cooking) strapped to your rifle. Fortunately, at a lower point for center of gravity.

In my case, I was mildly disappointed in the Laminate stock given the $300 upcharge - only from an aesthetics standpoint (no surprise on weight penalty) Unless I can travel to a retailer or airgun event to touch and see up close, any walnut or laminate choices. - I will be sticking to soft touch synthetics only for any future FX purchases. 

1b61a95d149744ee6cc751bf2774a398.jpg