• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Wildcat MKIII Compact .22 - Brand new leaking air...

I would have to disagree. PCPs should have absolutely zero leaks. They should hold pressure for months if they are properly manufactured. The only leak allowed is from the barrel when you pull the trigger. Your impact is leaking all over the place and you confirmed my suspicion that FX manufacturing tolerances and QC are pretty bad. I was searching the net for similar issues and it turns out that FX air rifles leaking are very common.

Anyway I will try to find the problem and although this is my first FX air rifle it is also my last.

I myself believe that PCPs will eventually leak but Should not leak when they are new. But it does happen sometimes. It could be bad machining. Or it could be that they didn’t install the O-rings properly. I would also believe that the company is under the gun to get a bunch of parts and guns out right now so when that happens sometimes QC is lacking. I worked in machining and manufacturing all my life And seen how it goes.The regulator could be creeping and I wouldn’t be too much concerned on the first couple shots. And hopefully it will break in. I always put a couple drops of pure silicone oil in the fill Port when I first buy a rifle and fill it up. Because I don’t know if they installed the O-rings dry or not. I have a cheap Benjamin maximus that I bought six years ago and has not leaked one bit over the years. None of my PCPs have leaked over the years.That includes my Benjamin all the way up to my Daystate.I have had two that it happened to soon as I got them but they were cheaper guns and they went right back to the seller for a refund. 

Opinions, opinions’ opinions. Most of these PCP rifles have O rings maybe they all do. Seems inevitable that at some point the rubber deteriorates so leaks will crop up. Whether or not a person should go DIY depends doesn’t it. I’ve got an Impact II that leaks down some. I’ve also got a Alkin compressor and a 74 Joe Brancato tank. So my investment of about 4K fixes that 10 cent O ring LOL. 
Saying this with tongue in cheek but I guess my point is if you swim in this pond expect some pond scum 

Air rifles are a different breed. I bought my first air rifle 60 years ago ( crosman pumper) it was fixed any number of times finally got a Sheridan silver streak that I wish I still had. Air rifles just are going to take some maintenance and repairs.

How much you want to deal with or how much is too much is opinion. While my impact leaks some it’s still the most accurate gun I own so when the leak gets to a certain point .... 

No observable leak after 24 hours this time. I tried two more magazines. The first one had again the slow first pellet and a worse standard deviation and max spread from yesterday. The grouping was slightly better this time with 18 shots and a 14mm diameter at 25 yards. Then I tried a second magazine but at power level 5. Better SD but even worse max spread. First pellet was ok though. I've noticed that the FX magazine squeezes the first pellet a bit. I don't know if this is a factor for the first slow pellet. That first shot though is valuable for hunting and it needs to be accurate. The pellets I used were the SpotOn Pars 18.13gr Maybe it does not like them. Next time I will try with the JSBs.

Results 17-05-2021.1621243822.png
(its a 14mm group, not 0.76") (Wind 7km/h with 22km/h gusts)

I pumped the rifle with a $40 hand pump. 95 pumps from 150bar to 228bar. That was a proper workout! Sweating like a pig at the end. :)

I am shooting in the sun and the rifle been all black might be affected from the heat.
I don't know what to make of this. I will wait again for 24 hour and see what happens.

20--5-2021 Update

It looks like that the Wildcat needs a break in period. Things are getting better but not quite there yet.
Temperature variation plays a big role in PCPs from what I see. Just 5 minutes in the sun and the gauge
showed 5bar more. 

17 rounds with JSBs 15.89gr and the Hawke Airmax SF 30 Compact which by the way is not a good match
for the Wildcat. First of all it needs a reach forward mount to be placed comfortably and it is very heavy which
makes the rifle want to tip left and right. Sometimes you spend a lot of money just to find out that a cheap
alternative is a better match.. In order to take advantage of the lightweight construction and the perfect balance
of the wildcat you need a very lightweight scope. Very basic but with AO. This Airmax is nice for bench target
shooting but I am not sure why would anyone would buy the Wildcat for that. 

Results 20-05-2021.1621490479.jpg

Maximum spread is getting better.

I will use the rest of the JSBs and then I will leave it for a month to see if it is still leaking
in which case I will send it for repair.

Guys, thank you for your help!

Hello,

I know this is an old post, but...

What did you find on this?

Did you keep it? Repair? Or all just ok after breaking?

Thanks 

Bill B in Michigan

Hi,

No, it got worse. I got some spare parts and a new regulator but I threw everything in the closet.
I will probably try to repair it during this spring. Its laughable to buy such an expensive airgun
and receive it faulty. And I am not the only one. After researching for the problem there are many
other owners with the same issue. I have other, way cheaper ones that are way more consistent.

No more FX for me, thanks.

I would have to disagree. PCPs should have absolutely zero leaks. They should hold pressure for months if they are properly manufactured. The only leak allowed is from the barrel when you pull the trigger. Your impact is leaking all over the place and you confirmed my suspicion that FX manufacturing tolerances and QC are pretty bad. I was searching the net for similar issues and it turns out that FX air rifles leaking are very common.

Anyway I will try to find the problem and although this is my first FX air rifle it is also my last.
I will second that! You all cured me from wanting a wildcat. None of my made in america pcp's have ever leaked! In no way should a new pcp leak... Fx was known in the past as leakers, and it seems they still are...