• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Wildcat MkIII .177 - What a Mistake - fixed with a Vet

I received my FX Wildcat MkIII in .177 mid-week and have been getting used to it for the past few days. I've tried a whole lot of pellets and I don't feel the accuracy is what it should be. I'm only shooting at 13 yards but I'll get fliers that go up down left and right 0.4 - 0.5 Mils every few shot and none of the shots really stack in one hole - I think at 13 yards any gun should be shooting one hole. 

I've cleaned the barrel, checked that it was mounted tightly. I can't find anything that would indicate an issue - other than not really caring for how the barrel is held with two set screws that don't even have alignment dimples. I don't know if maybe the shroud could be causing this? FPS seems to be more consistent for some pellets than others - but they are all have the same issue.

Any help on things to check would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if you've seen any of @intenseaty22 threads on his issue with accuracy and POI issues with his MK2 Wildcat .177 but hopefully you can figure it out...

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-wc-wandering-poi-penny-for-your-thoughts/

Thanks - I'm reading through this thread. I believe it's everything I've already read before as well. 

I think this it going to come down to the barrel and how it sits. Right now - 500mm barrel with two set screws. It appear to free float through the two holes under the scope mount. I think at any higher power levels the barrel is just bouncing around. 

I'm playing with the NSA 12.5gr pellets at 825 fps and they are grouping better. I caught this in another thread when I was searching around so I thought I'd try. Not ideal - I'll keep digging through that thread - some things to try around checking all the screws.

Funny thing is when I took it out of the box it was hole on hole for about 2 mags and then all this stuff.

I have a maverick 177 with 500 mm superior(i guess its the right twist) barrel and had a real hard time getting it to shoot very good with anything but jsb 10.3 gr. I finally removed the shroud and took out the liner. This was a revelation as the groups droped about 5” @ 10 yds with a 1/4 turn of liner. Also moving the orings forward or back has an effect on group. I can’t give you specifics but now i seem to be getting the type of groups i expected with 12.5 gr nsa. Its going to be a process you will have to work thru and if you do check to make sure the liner is perfectly straight. I watch a vid of them straightening them at the factory 

That very unfortunate, sounds like something is loose. 

I have 177 for my crown and Dreamline and they are basically shooting 1 hole out to 34 yards with no wind. Light weight 177 is very wind sensitive due to low weight and BC. 

few things to try would be cleaning the barrel, index and tighten the liner with orings spaced out evenly. Make sure moderator is on relatively snug. I would also get the carbon liner sleeve and a tension spacer for the should or replace the shroud with a carbon tube. Also chrono your shot string to see if you have consistent speed. 

I'm going full circle here - just ordered a Taipan Vet .177 Standard. It was my first quality PCP and it never disappointed. Also - after reading Scott's take on how well the Taipan is built in the thread on tuning the Cricket II .22, I don't see a reason not to.

That's a total bummer that WC didn't work out you could of gotten a lemon. I'm sure Taipan would work out great. 

Wow yes send the gun back ASAP for that kind of money there is NO reason to have to work on a gun to make it accurate, There is NO way to go wrong with a Veteran, Ten years ago when i got into PCP I was told the 177 was a dyeing caliber to stay away from it , Last year I bought a Vulcan 177 wow lots of fun with lots of shooting, Well I pulled the Triger on a Uragan standard, Still a bull Pup But I get over 400 shots between tank fills,,, I will go out and go through 200 or more shots at a time, I do not do that with my 22, or 25s 

I shoot a lot more now at my 48 yard range.

Mike

Let's start the story of this return and see how it goes. 

Called PA this morning. Left number for a callback. When the callback comes in I describe the problem and the first thing the guy says is let me get you the FX information - we're just the distributer. I'm like - Umm no I just want to return the defective airgun. Complete double pause on his end before he says please hold. 4 minutes later I get hung up on. 

This is starting out well.

Did you get a chance to check he o-rings on the liner? Had problem with poi changing on my Maverick Sniper and found 4 o-rings stacked together on the muzzle end. I spaced them out which fixed the problem. Good luck with FX.

Yeah - there are no o-ring ON the liner on the Wildcat. The two "supports" that the barrel goes through look like they have o-rings inside them (kinda like a breech ring setup) but the barrel doesn't even touch them in the front.

I got my RMA - so it'll be going back in the next day.

I hope you have better luck in getting a speedy PA refund than I am having.

I returned an FX Mav with a leaking valve under an RMA. This was within about a week of receiving it, and they have a 60 day return policy.

They received the gun nearly a month ago, but still no word about any refund. I tried calling in to check the status, but they only let you wait on hold for so long before the auto-hang-up. Then tried chat, but the PA chatter said I need to call customer service. Told him I tried, but could not get through. He verified my phone number and said that CS would call me back.

That was about a week ago...

Did you get a chance to check he o-rings on the liner? Had problem with poi changing on my Maverick Sniper and found 4 o-rings stacked together on the muzzle end. I spaced them out which fixed the problem. Good luck with FX.

Yeah - there are no o-ring ON the liner on the Wildcat. The two "supports" that the barrel goes through look like they have o-rings inside them (kinda like a breech ring setup) but the barrel doesn't even touch them in the front.

I got my RMA - so it'll be going back in the next day.

If you have a Wildcat MKlll with no o-rings between liner and barrel that would probably cause a poi problem.