• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Wildcat Mk2 vs Mk3

I have had a hankering for a long time for a Wildcat Compact in .22, and I think I'm going to take the plunge. The thing is, I can't seem to find any Mk3's anywhere new, but I do seem to see the occasional Mk2 up for sale used. I know the Mk3 has a bigger magazine and easier external hammer and reg adjustment, but beyond that, is there much of a difference? Can I get a slug barrel for a Mk2, like I can for a Mk3? If I come across a used Mk2 in good condition, is it worth it to nab it, or am I better off waiting on a Mk3?

Thanks,

Chris

I have a mk2. I was going to get a mk3, but a power wheel is not enough for me to get one. I like the 8 shot mag on the mk2 because I can keep it loaded with pellets, and load it in seconds for that quick shot of a pest in the back yard. These new spring loaded mags make me nervous about keeping them loaded for long periods of time. I have a superior liner in mine, and with a awesome tune courtesy of bigragu, I’m getting 960fps with king heavies for over 65fpe. This is with the 600mm version, but I’d love a compact .22 also. 

I have both and I like them a lot. I would not say the MK3 is better than the MK2. If you get a chance for either in good condition used grab one. You will really love it.

coyote -

So...you are saying that Matt doesn't know what he's talking about ? Interesting. ONE...of you may know more than the other..!

Mike

Are you saying EVERYONE on this forum needs the same opinions as Matt??

I have both and I like them a lot. I would not say the MK3 is better than the MK2. If you get a chance for either in good condition used grab one. You will really love it.

coyote -

So...you are saying that Matt doesn't know what he's talking about ? Interesting. ONE...of you may know more than the other..!

Mike

Are you saying EVERYONE on this forum needs the same opinions as Matt?

Yes we all do!! Haven’t you got the memo?! I had a colorful response for Mike, but what’s the point right? So he gave me key stroke crap, so I just responded in kind. God bless MikeVV (in all sincerity) and of course Matt Duber! 

I have a mk2 in .177. It is a nice gun. To make it easier to tune, I have modified the stock, so I can have a gauge reading regpressure, like on the mk3. I have also cut out a grove, so I can acces the hammer spring adjuster. You need some kind of loctite to secure the adjuster, when you are happy with the result. There is only one negative as I see it, and that is that the rotary mag holds 8 shots. I shoot allot on paper, and like to do 5 shot groups. But since there is only 8 rounds, I have to switch mag after 3 shots on the seccond target. I usually do 4 shots instead. Not a big deal, but may be a lilte anoying if you shoot paper. If the mag did hold 10 shots, it would not be a "problem". In that repect I think I would have prefered the larger magazine on the mk3.

Look guys, I’m not trying to be an mk2 snob here, but the OP was looking for advice about BOTH of these, and if there is a true benefit to the mk3. If you haven’t tested both side by side, then You cannot possibly say one is better than the other without it being opinion or preference. These can be based on liking more shot count, or adjusting on the fly, or just having to point and shoot, or having a mag without moving parts. 

I have a Cricket gen 1. I love the magazines. Other than the difficulty of loading them one handed. I have a MK2 Wildcat on the way. I wish the wildcat was a 12 shot mag. No springs, no covers, no buttons, what's not to like. Hey big mags are nice too. Power wheel would be fun, but also tempting to fiddle with. If you like it one way great, if you like it the other, great too. 

Jim