• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX Wildcat MK 3 Air Leak update 1/22/21 “The Exorcist”.

Update 1/22/21:

This rifle was purchased used with maybe 3 months of use on it. I bought an FX to learn about them in anticipation of buying an Impact Mk3 when they come out and the Wildcat was a step up in power and tuneability from my Leshiy classic. (I have learned a lot; still not decided that the FX platform is for me, but I am being open minded). :)

I disassembled the rifle and took out the air tube; then removed the AMP regulator. I had owned it about 6 weeks, and maybe pumped it by hand with a Hill MK5 about 6 times and began having the air leak and it just didn’t make any sense to me, until I took the AMP out. Moist air it appears from the PO air source, in a relatively short period of time, wrecked havoc on the Reg. It was beginning to get crusty on both ends, had green stuff (thus Exorcist reference) coming out of action end side, and the O ring that I suspected to be the problem was “flat” and not circular vs. the action end O ring that looks good, that is round and correct proportions.

I called FX (before disassembling) and they are sending me some parts. Kudos got FX for standing behind their product. I decided in the meantime to just buy a Huma and XL plenum because I have been down 2 weeks and FX said USPS is only picking up 2 days a week and who knows about that situation. ====> Rant <====

I installed the Huma and plenum, also upgraded the poor excuse for a Reg gauge (the casting hole on the back was in uneven (not a circle, had rough cast edges, and poorly casted, ugh)s with a Huma. Greased it all up and pumped the gun. Holding air like a champ!!! The new reg has far fewer potential leaking penetrations, i.e., fewer screws and such in it, is 1/2 the size. Yes I did loose the flexibility of Reg pressure external adjustment screw.

I can’t say that the Reg design was the problem, it could have contributed, the air source from PO is certainly suspect as the corrosion was alarming. Is the Wildcat fulfilling my need for a different powerful platform, yes, longevity? It does require more maintenance than my Classic, but I expected that. Do I enjoy the tuneability aspect? Yes Do PCPs require a good, DRY air source? Absolutely ( i have a carbon fiber tank arriving this coming Monday) All lessons learned. 

My adventure in PCPs will continue.

Thanks for all of those that contributed to helping me out.

==================== original post ==================

Background: I had doubled a loaded a pellet, it jammed the magazine and I couldn’t get it out. In order to be safe, I degassed the gun and finally was able to remove the mag. I aired the gun back up and I thought all was good. Today, the reg was 70 and the pressure was around the same 70.

I pumped the gun back up to 230. I can hear the air escaping at the Regulator adjustment screw.

I remember reading somewhere that if you dont have a fast air source, there is some O ring that can unseat.

Any ideas on where to look for the unseated O ring? Up to now the gun held air fine. Yes, I bought this gun to begin exploring the FX world before moving up to the next one.

Any ideas where to look and the procedure for tearing it down? I can look at the Disassembly vid on YouTube so pointing in the right area would be great!

Thanks,

How did you degas your WC? Sounds like the reg might have creeped due to the pressure difference between the plenum (Reg side) and the tank causing an O-ring on the Reg that seals atmospheric @ the adjustment screw, to breach the adjusting hole and cause the leak. Just a thought.

Start here if you want to proceed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2iSvHwjGXs&has_verified=1

I degassed the gun with a 11mm wrench, slowly like Earnest did on his tuning video. I did send an email to FX since the gun is obviously under warranty. I am willing to go into it, just want to proceed without violating the warranty.

Is it usually a matter of just reseating the O rings, pitting some silicon grease on it and pumping up again. (Assuming the ring hasn’t been compromised). BTW, @2L8, the video link didn’t work, What should I query on?

CLICK HERE.

NO! NOT THIS SCREENSHOT!

GO BACK UP TO THAT POSTED VIDEO LINK!

Screenshot_2021-01-10-03-02-03.1610283796.png