Tuning FX Wildcat and Maverick owners....what's your TUNE in .22?

I have been moving it and I still have not found that sweet spot yet, my fps seems to still be jumping around no matter how much or little I turn that macro. The frustrating part for me is that just when I THINK I have this thing dialed in and zeroed the groups will move and change, move to my 1 oclock off the bullseye 2 up and 2 right. I adjust for it and then it moves again 20-30 shots later. The groups are tight, but keep bouncing around. I'm shooting around 45-50yds out. I am shooing the same grain, not bouncing back and forth. This weapon has close to 1500 shots thru it now so I should be way beyond the break in periord.

My goal was to end up so that power wheel 7 will be shooting the 25grain good and then I can rotate the wheel down to 3-4 or 5 and shoot 18 grain good. Is this possible or am I'm asking this for too much. I see folks talking in here all the time about shooting different grains. I was hoping it was just a matter of rotating the wheel.
No this will not work, that was my plan for the 25.4/18.1 also. You pair the tune with a lighter slug(22gr hybrid)for a dual tune. If you move the PW down enough to shoot the 18.1 slow enough the reg/hammer balance will be off and cause big ES/SD numbers.

Reactions: Trucker3573
I have been moving it and I still have not found that sweet spot yet, my fps seems to still be jumping around no matter how much or little I turn that macro. The frustrating part for me is that just when I THINK I have this thing dialed in and zeroed the groups will move and change, move to my 1 oclock off the bullseye 2 up and 2 right. I adjust for it and then it moves again 20-30 shots later. The groups are tight, but keep bouncing around. I'm shooting around 45-50yds out. I am shooing the same grain, not bouncing back and forth. This weapon has close to 1500 shots thru it now so I should be way beyond the break in periord.

My goal was to end up so that power wheel 7 will be shooting the 25grain good and then I can rotate the wheel down to 3-4 or 5 and shoot 18 grain good. Is this possible or am I'm asking this for too much. I see folks talking in here all the time about shooting different grains. I was hoping it was just a matter of rotating the wheel.
If you are experiencing a POI shift make sure the entire barrel assembly is snug, from the transfer port out. Been there done that. I'm set up on both my .22 and .25 Mavericks to just dial, sometimes you wind up with perfection all the way others the SD will be a bit larger but meh whatever.

No this will not work, that was my plan for the 25.4/18.1 also. You pair the tune with a lighter slug(22gr hybrid)for a dual tune. If you move the PW down enough to shoot the 18.1 slow enough the reg/hammer balance will be off and cause big ES/SD numbers.
Really? I can shoot 22g. slugs, all the way down to 14gr, no issues, the SD may not be super tight but it's in the close enough range. It's fun to shoot the really light pellets close to 1,000 and still have nice tight groups at 30 yards....and still be able to dial it up for slugs at 100 yards.

Really? I can shoot 22g. slugs, all the way down to 14gr, no issues, the SD may not be super tight but it's in the close enough range. It's fun to shoot the really light pellets close to 1,000 and still have nice tight groups at 30 yards....and still be able to dial it up for slugs at 100 yards.
25.4 to 18.1 is a big stretch and you are the one that helped me focus on one pellet and pair it with a slug(thank you again). The MRD can be shot faster and causes even more of difference. I suppose if you shot the MRD “slow” then it might kinda work. Maybe if you flip the barrel from slug port to pellet when shooting the 18.1 it could work.

OP, what port are you using on the barrel, I forgot to ask?

25.4 to 18.1 is a big stretch and you are the one that helped me focus on one pellet and pair it with a slug(thank you again). The MRD can be shot faster and causes even more of difference. I suppose if you shot the MRD “slow” then it might kinda work. Maybe if you flip the barrel from slug port to pellet when shooting the 18.1 it could work.

Pellet port…but I cheat a little with a slug probe, NOT a pin probe. Reasoning . Why have two small holes for the air to go through? I'm running 126.1 bar on the rear. It MAY have a .25 cal hammer weight in it because it was a .25 Sniper at one time, the .22 cal compact. Also be aware that I've tuned my Bellville washers so they are all the same. My SD in this gun isn't as quite good as my .25 and that may be the reason but it's close enough that I don't care. On #7 I'm still getting 60+ shots, don't ask the size of the bottle I've forgotten let's just say mid length, one size up from the compact. With 25.4 gr I'm getting 860 fps and 42.2FT Lbs with a SD of 7.6fps and a full spread of 26FPS. 22 gr slugs, 892 FPS, 19FPS spread and 7.5 FPS STD, 18.13 985 fps, 11 fps spread and 4.0 SD and the fun one....Crossman on HSA 4 14.3, 909fps, 98 fps spread, 34.6 SD but they absolutely drill, it's cheap thrills.

If you are experiencing a POI shift make sure the entire barrel assembly is snug, from the transfer port out. Been there done that. I'm set up on both my .22 and .25 Mavericks to just dial, sometimes you wind up with perfection all the way others the SD will be a bit larger but meh whatever.
Yes, I did go thru last week and found that the barrel was loose at the transfer port. I did a small amount of blue loc tite to keep that from happening again. Went out and found the groups seemed to be doing really well as far as being tight and no POI moving about. Today seems like that has started happening a bit again, not much but enough that it is noticeable. Groups are always tight but just moving about....is this a sign that I'm still not dialed in and due to the wheel?

I have the slug side down so more air goes in.

So I have been working with the 18.13gr FX because I'm out of the 25.4 grain, suppose to have those today but all the snow we had last week has delayed those from arriving.

Also to confirm, do not be on power wheel 4 trying to adjust with the allen? You have to be on 7? If I'm on 7 with the 18.13 grain this thing is blasting out at over 1000fps.

A few days ago when I still had the 25.4 I had the wheel on 7 and was seeing fps between 896-900. With the numbers so tight would you say that means I have arrived?

I have the slug side down so more air goes in.

So I have been working with the 18.13gr FX because I'm out of the 25.4 grain, suppose to have those today but all the snow we had last week has delayed those from arriving.

Also to confirm, do not be on power wheel 4 trying to adjust with the allen? You have to be on 7? If I'm on 7 with the 18.13 grain this thing is blasting out at over 1000fps.

A few days ago when I still had the 25.4 I had the wheel on 7 and was seeing fps between 896-900. With the numbers so tight would you say that means I have arrived?
To your last statement YES, nice job!! Not everything needs to be on any given number, you can start fiddling with the HSA to get speeds that work for the pellets, the SD may open up but I've found generally not significantly unless you're doing something like I do with extreme weight differences. You will probably find that the 22gr slugs will work in the 5 to 7 range. I'm doing 18.13 on HSA 7 at 985 SD of 4.0. My 25.4gr are at 860fps with a SD of 7.6. It's probably that heavier hammer weight. I really don't care because I can hit a cork at 100 yards

Reactions: Opfor
Once your 25.4’s are dialed in, leave it alone and only use the PW to lower the fps to shoot the 18.1’s, they will be secondary and may not be as tight but as long as they group ok.

I found this helpful to explain tuning to the “knee”.

Sounds like a good plan and exactly what I'm waiting on now. Have suspended all tuning until those 25.4s come in, hopefully today. Will take a look at the video. Thanks for posting.

I agree with you totally. However, the impact, in my experience, will tune with a good ES much wider than the Maverick will. On the Maverick I tune to one projectile.

I agree with you totally. However, the impact, in my experience, will tune with a good ES much wider than the Maverick will. On the Maverick I tune to one projectile.
Thanks for your perspective on this. Pretty much where I'm headed also with the 25.4. You posted a nice read on another post about tuning with regards to adjusting the hammer spring. I copied and printed to keep for reference ;).

What all do you shoot?

Thanks for your perspective on this. Pretty much where I'm headed also with the 25.4. You posted a nice read on another post about tuning with regards to adjusting the hammer spring. I copied and printed to keep for reference ;).

What all do you shoot?
I have the Maverick compact in 25. I just shoot 25.39 and hades out of it. With a 102 bar operating reg pressure it shoots the 25.39 a bit over 900 fps very well. I have an m3 600mm tuned for 33.95 heavies. That gun however will shoot 25.39 with very consistent velocities around 900 by just dialing the power wheel back to 4 from 13. I can do that on my Maverick however it’s extreme spread opens up much more when you venture off the optimum tune than the m3 does for some reason.

Once your 25.4’s are dialed in, leave it alone and only use the PW to lower the fps to shoot the 18.1’s, they will be secondary and may not be as tight but as long as they group ok.

I found this helpful to explain tuning to the “knee”.

That video you sent was FANTASTIC! I finally understand now what tuning to the "knee" is as well. I've read the instructions for doing this and heard it spoken but by him putting it into a graph really helped to drive it home, thanks for sharing that.

Finally received my pellets and worked on it again today. Spoke with a tech from the shop that I purchased this from and his recommendation was for me to bump the 1st stage up to 155 and second to 130psi and try to have these 25.4s flying between 920-930fps. I did that and working from PW7 found my way into that range. I still have an ES of about 10-12 and so would like to get that down a bit more if I could. The groups were really tight at 50 and 70yds so I fell like I'm headed in the right direction for now. Ran out of daylight and now rain moving in for tomorrow, lol.

I finally got into the 1s with my Maverick . I was using JTS 25.4 pellets . Then I ran some more shots over the chrony with fx branded JSB 25.39 . Both the new design. The JTS was more consistent. Accuracy wise it was close, poi was about an inch left whith the JSBs. I finally got a CF 300cc bottle
Screenshot_20240407-124101_FX Radar.jpg
Screenshot_20240407-124109_FX Radar.jpg
Screenshot_20240407-142217_FX Radar.jpg
Screenshot_20240407-142141_FX Radar.jpg
20240407_124432.jpg
20240407_124403.jpg

I finally got into the 1s with my Maverick . I was using JTS 25.4 pellets . Then I ran some more shots over the chrony with fx branded JSB 25.39 . Both the new design. The JTS was more consistent. Accuracy wise it was close, poi was about an inch left whith the JSBs. I finally got a CF 300cc bottle
Good data, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Headshots
I will probably be getting around 40+ shots at just under 45 fpe with the small 300cc bottle . Plenty for me hunt with .

How do any of these tunes relate to the OP when not one post, not even the OP tells anyone what barrel lengths they are dealing with?
I ain’t much on sharing tunes but without the barrel length all the numbers may or may not be applicable.

I'm using a 600mm barrel and 13g hammer .22 cal. The Mavericks large plenum really helps with heavy ammo . I don't think I've seen any other PCPs getting 45 fpe at 95 bar . Where my Taipan standard starts slowing with the heavy pellets the Mavericks is just getting started.

My first reg is around 150 bar or more and I just leave it there .

If your getting consistent fps with 1 or 2 slower shots in say 20 rounds with my Maverick that means I'm getting close . Sometimes I forget to change the power wheel off adjust and it shoots 25.4g ammo at around 640 fps. Not sure if shooting on adjust is OK or not .

Hiya, I had a wildcat mk3 compact .22. I tuned it for the JSB RS (13.43gr I think) as a close range rat shooter. I had my reg at 80 and power wheel turned down till I reached a stable 870fps. That rifle was so quiet and fun to shoot I ended up plinking for hours at a time😁 and for those of you that fear light pellets at long distance, I consistently hit steel 2”spinners at 100yrds, and got at least 60 shots out of that little tube, loved that thing!

IMG_7270.jpeg

Ope!

Looks like a liner issue more than a FPS issue!

On my Maverick sniper, I found my poi moving all over, I spent a good week chasing my tail until I found a post from another gent stating that he had the same issues and when he got to the liner jam nut, he started playing with torque.

I found that with a drop or two of light machine oil on the threads and 19 inch pounds of torque (measured digitally), I got a stable poi.

I was then able to follow AEAC and tune.

"Can't hoyt"