Tuning FX Wildcat and Maverick owners....what's your TUNE in .22?

Still learning my new Wildcat 22 and curious to know what some of your favorite tunes are on your rifles? I'm currently using the FX 25 gr pellet and running a 1st stage pressure of 125 and 2nd state of 100. With power wheel on 7 I'm staying pretty close with 888-894fps, sure there is room to tighten that up but pretty decent groups at 50. Definitely interested in hearing other .22 users with the tune they are using. I called out wildcat and maverick since they are basically the same gun and setup.

Why are you asking ?
If you shoot to a target at 10 yards, you'll have a different setting to someone that shoots to 50, or someone that shoots to 100 yrds.
Adjust your gun to...your, shooting.

Me, I have a shorter range. My two Wildcats are set to about 820 / 825fps. This works well out to about 30/40+ yrds. Also quieter than an 850 / 900fps setting.

Mike

Why are you asking ?
If you shoot to a target at 10 yards, you'll have a different setting to someone that shoots to 50, or someone that shoots to 100 yrds.
Adjust your gun to...your, shooting.

Me, I have a shorter range. My two Wildcats are set to about 820 / 825fps. This works well out to about 30/40+ yrds. Also quieter than an 850 / 900fps setting.

Mike
Why am I asking? I'm still new to the world of PCP and FX and so the way I gain knowledge is by asking questions. I would like to see what reg pressures other are having good success with. I'm not convinced that reg pressures 125 and 100 are the best ones. I like shooting 50 to 100yds.

Reactions: 223coyote
You can use this as guide but you’ll need to fine tune with the IHS to make sure your at the knee. Check out the AEAC videos on tuning.
Oh yes, have watched all of Steve's video VERY informative and leaves nothing uncovered, that is where I picked up trying to keep the spread from 1st to 2nd stage between 25psi. My FPS is still not as tight as I would like for it to be as it varies by 15psi from shot to shot. I might try going up to 135 on 1st and 110 with second. I was running 110 before and believe it might have been more consistent on fps.

So is that the best way to tell when a gun is TUNED? The groups are tight and the fps is within 5 -10psi?

Oh yes, have watched all of Steve's video VERY informative and leaves nothing uncovered, that is where I picked up trying to keep the spread from 1st to 2nd stage between 25psi. My FPS is still not as tight as I would like for it to be as it varies by 15psi from shot to shot. I might try going up to 135 on 1st and 110 with second. I was running 110 before and believe it might have been more consistent on fps.

So is that the best way to tell when a gun is TUNED? The groups are tight and the fps is within 5 -10psi?
In my limited experience yes, tight groups and a ES/SD 10/2 fps. You are probably close I used the wheel to figure out where the fps didn’t increase any more and where it fell off. PW 4 dropped fps and 6 and 7 didn’t increase anymore. I set it at 5 and did 10 shoot groups, I turned the IHS up 1/8 turn and shot 10 more, repeated until I had a consistent low ES/SD. If you are happy with the speed you may only have to move the IHS up or down a 1/8. I used the reg to get me close to my target fps of 930 first on PW 7 and the 30 bar spread between 1st and 2nd works good for me.

When I had a ES/SD of 19/6, 1/8 turn on IHS made it go below 10/2 consistently. I hope my ramblings help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Opfor
How do any of these tunes relate to the OP when not one post, not even the OP tells anyone what barrel lengths they are dealing with?
I ain’t much on sharing tunes but without the barrel length all the numbers may or may not be applicable.
Well chucka under every one of my post states wildcat sniper and sniper is the long 700mm barrel so Excuse me if I failed to mention that in the title. So now that we have that all CLEAR and you AIN"T MUCH on sharing tunes anyway what exactly was your point for your post?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Firewalker
In my limited experience yes, tight groups and a ES/SD 10/2 fps. You are probably close I used the wheel to figure out where the fps didn’t increase any more and where it fell off. PW 4 dropped fps and 6 and 7 didn’t increase anymore. I set it at 5 and did 10 shoot groups, I turned the IHS up 1/8 turn and shot 10 more, repeated until I had a consistent low ES/SD. If you are happy with the speed you may only have to move the IHS up or down a 1/8. I used the reg to get me close to my target fps of 930 first and the 30 bar spread between 1st and 2nd works good for me.

When I had a ES/SD of 19/6, 1/8 turn on IHS made it go below 10/2 consistently. I hope my ramblings help.
Absolutely helps, appreciate you sharing your knowledge to me. Not new to shooting and not new to airguns but new to the world of PCP and FX. Some people really do come off ABRASIVE in here, guess they just need to blow their horn to feel good about themselves....whatever!

Confirm ES an SD please....Extreme Spread...Short Distance?

Absolutely helps, appreciate you sharing your knowledge to me. Not new to shooting and not new to airguns but new to the world of PCP and FX. Some people really do come off ABRASIVE in here, guess they just need to blow their horn to feel good about themselves....whatever!

Confirm ES an SD please....Extreme Spread...Short Distance?
Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation

With the 700mm barrel you should be at least 30 fps faster then my 600mm, you could try 105 bar on 2nd reg.

Reactions: Opfor
Well chucka under every one of my post states wildcat sniper and sniper is the long 700mm barrel so Excuse me if I failed to mention that in the title. So now that we have that all CLEAR and you AIN"T MUCH on sharing tunes anyway what exactly was your point for your post?
My apology if I offended you. I missed your fine print.
as for sharing tunes, opinions vary. Mine and yours just do not coincide.
Once again, my apology for offending you. It was not intentional.

My apology if I offended you. I missed your fine print.
as for sharing tunes, opinions vary. Mine and yours just do not coincide.
Once again, my apology for offending you. It was not intentional.
I do appreciate your follow up and apology. Perhaps good tunes are guarded like a family secret recipe and meant never to be shared? As I mentioned earlier I'm new to the world of PCP and FX airguns and just trying to learn as much as I can on them, the way I learn is by asking questions. I just assumed most folks were happy and eager to share what was working for them. Again, thanks for your follow up.

I did bump 1st stage to 135 and second to 110psi, doing some pretty good groups with 18grain FX on power wheel either 3 or 4 at around 900fps, but running low on 25 grain FX pellets and that is what I'm primarily wanting to zero in on. Suppose to have pellets today but UPS is still delayed with all this snow we picked up last week, rain moving in late Tue so was hoping to have today and tomorrow to work on that but not looking to be the case.

I did find a nice write up provided by another user on here and assuming its ok to repost since he uploaded it here. Nice tips and order of events for someone new to tuning either of these weapons. Going to upload below.

View attachment Wildcat Tune.docx

Ok, this is where it gets interesting, have you started moving your Macro out to find the maximum speed? Then did you back it off? It could well be you'll need to keep making TINY movements in to find that one sweet spot where the stars align and the pellets are flying consistently. More is not always better. You don't have to have a 25bar difference between regs, you can open the #1 up a bit more, to say 35 bar and get a faster refresh. If you REALLY want to get it zeroed, you need to match your Belleville's in #2 for size so the all work equally, and give them a light polish on all contact surfaces. I recommend a good lubricant to make sure they slide nice and clean, I use Mobil 1 and NO your gun won't explode.

• Love
Ok, this is where it gets interesting, have you started moving your Macro out to find the maximum speed? Then did you back it off? It could well be you'll need to keep making TINY movements in to find that one sweet spot where the stars align and the pellets are flying consistently. More is not always better. You don't have to have a 25bar difference between regs, you can open the #1 up a bit more, to say 35 bar and get a faster refresh. If you REALLY want to get it zeroed, you need to match your Belleville's in #2 for size so the all work equally, and give them a light polish on all contact surfaces. I recommend a good lubricant to make sure they slide nice and clean, I use Mobil 1 and NO your gun won't explode.
I have been moving it and I still have not found that sweet spot yet, my fps seems to still be jumping around no matter how much or little I turn that macro. The frustrating part for me is that just when I THINK I have this thing dialed in and zeroed the groups will move and change, move to my 1 oclock off the bullseye 2 up and 2 right. I adjust for it and then it moves again 20-30 shots later. The groups are tight, but keep bouncing around. I'm shooting around 45-50yds out. I am shooing the same grain, not bouncing back and forth. This weapon has close to 1500 shots thru it now so I should be way beyond the break in periord.

My goal was to end up so that power wheel 7 will be shooting the 25grain good and then I can rotate the wheel down to 3-4 or 5 and shoot 18 grain good. Is this possible or am I'm asking this for too much. I see folks talking in here all the time about shooting different grains. I was hoping it was just a matter of rotating the wheel.

• Wow