• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx Wildcat .25 squirrel hunt

Older fox squirrels are tough as shoe leather, I quarter them and brown them in a little oil then make a roux ( a browned flower gravy). Then you put the meat back in the pot with onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Season to taste, usually bay leaves, salt, black pepper, celery salt etc. lets it simmer for about 4 hours, you want to catch it when the meat gets tender but don't let it start falling off he bone, it makes it harder to eat. Serve it over rice, good eating for sure. I have 15 in the freezer!

That is a great video of an actual hunt. I chased the squirrels with the scope in the same manner until I gave them a reason to sit still with a close miss and a kill on the second shot. Big Red's in my part of the country come out latter in the morning than the little greys and I find the red squirrels to be really difficult to find amongst the colorful fall leaves. As to cooking and serving I always go back to the survival school instructor quote: "Knockem in the Head and Muckem on Down."

You can brown them and make an onion gravy then put the top on a pressure cooker and tenderize those Fox Sqs. I hunt the smaller gray squirrels as they are much more tinder and easier to clean than fox squirrels. They also tend to be less gamey than fox squirrels. Only problem is they seem to be on meth, but once you learn how to play that against them you can score a nice bag o rats.