• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Widcat .22 regulator pressure

Guys:

Based upon the excellent review made by Chuck (http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/setting-the-regulator-hammer-spring-tension-correctly/#post-222976), I decided to order a Huma regulator for my Wildcat .22. 

I can ask them to preset the regulator pressure which I will. FX site non updated specs says 140BAR for the original regulator. However I think it is 120BAR. I shoot JSB 18.13 grains and I have an average of 886FPS. My current spread is 15 FPS which is unacceptable. I cautiously have changed the orings and nothing. Same spread. 

Anyway, what my fellows airgunners recommend as the optimal regulator pressure having in mind my current pellet weight and caliber? 

Hi Paio, as far as i know fx has changed reg pressures in different rifles a few times over the years. Some .22 Royales for example were shooting with a reg at 140-135bar and now (according to AoA) they are setting them at around 125bar. There's a difference tho, in my experience when they were at 140bar they got a hammer weight to balance the increase of pressure in the plenum (harder to open longer) so if i where you i wouldn't change a thing with the reg. I have to say 15fps isn't bad at all, but if you want to improve it you can make sure the hammer is sliding efortless inside the action with no grease in its way slowing it down or making the impact to the valve inconsistent. And for what i've seen .25 calibers tend to have less ES so don't compare them, 15fps is a perfect ES anyways and you won't be able to seeany poi poops at long distances. Keep in mind, if you increase your reg pressure it will be harder to open the valve longer so your velocities will decrease without a hammer weight.

Paio,
It appears that you have your mind made up, so I would have your new Huma regulator set at 120 Bar, install it in your gun, and adjust your hammer spring tension to its ideal setting, and shoot about a dozen shots over your chrony to get a good average velocity. Then take your gun out and shoot some targets and see how your groups are looking.

Repeat this process until you get the accuracy you are looking for, not the velocity someone else says to use. Your gun may shoot the JSB 18.13 grain pellets best at 800 ft/s...or 860...or 900...or 950? The only way you are going to find this out is to experiment with it. The Huma regulators are marked with a tape and are easy to set higher or lower. At one time I had my Wildcat .25 setup to shoot the 34gr. pellets at 930 ft/s...and then as low as 830 ft/s...and I currently have it set at 800 ft/s for unbelievable accuracy! You are going to have a lot of fun experimenting with your new Huma regulator which may give you a 6 ft/s extreme spread...just don't expect your rifle to shoot much more accurately than it does now at long range. Good luck!

All the best, Chuck

Thanks Menttaliist and Chuck.

After much consideration I put on hold the Huma regulator. I will work on the hammer, trigger adjustment, pellets and other small but important things. 

As others pointed out as well, my ES is not that bad at all and I have to explore everything before going to a radical move.

Thanks guys. Your comments have shown a down-to-earth experience which is very valuable to me!