FX vs AGT

I am deciding a new gun for next year and I have narrowed down the brand of airgun to FX and AGT. I know that AGT is more of a point and shoot gun. While FX is a tuning gun. The specific models I am looking at is the FX Panthera, AGT Vulcan 3, and the Uragan 2. Between these three what one would be better. This is a short to mid range hunting rifle. 0-100 yards range. .22 caliber. Biggest game that will be taken is groundhogs or rock chucks. Weight ten pounds or less. Also want to be able to shoot pellets and slugs with minimal changes.

Reactions: Greenarrow
My vote would be a FX maverick in .25 700mm.

I have a impact and my panthera will be here Saturday.. but tbh.. The maverick gives you a nice bullpup gun (long barrel/short gun), with all the adjustability you need to switch between any projectile, and at a reasonable price point.

I have a impact m3 and love it. Have a panthera on the way as well. But I think the maverick is so much more bang for the buck than those options.

Reason I say .25 is with HEAVY SLUGS you get better shot count... in my experience. .22 is nice because it's the most common projectile sold. But I like my .25 a smidge more

Two very different rifles.

I own five AGT (Vulcan 2 tactic in .25 and 30 Cal, Uragan in .22 and Vulcan 3 in .177 and .30 Cal).

My current 3 FX are not meccano shooting line ( Royal 400 in .22, Steamline in .25 and Indy in .30 Cal).

AGN are what they are: excellent shooting rifles, accurate, reliable, built like a tank and shoot perfectly well both, pellets and slugs. They do not give any problem. And if you want to disassemble and reassemble the rifle easily the Vulcan 3 is cherry picking. Easily and fast.

If you want to play all day long with the tunning until the rifle gets out of order, then FX is the tiket.

FX are very complex as far as rebuild and maintenance. I’ve heard for example that the Vulcans only have 9 orings in the whole gun. No idea if that is a fact though. Maybe others can chime in.
Fx aren't that bad as far as being complex or rebuilding if you tear into them a couple times yeah they have more o-rings but it really isn't as difficult as people try to say it is

I am not gonna go brand versus brand, but I would not regard a FX gun like a maverick, or wildcat mk3 complicated guns. Some might consider the impact more complicated, as it has many dials. Think they are relative light weight, compared to some other guns. Since I am not a hunter and doeas not bump my barrel around, I can not really tell if it is an issue or not regarding POI shifts on FX having lighter barrels. But if I was consearned about it, the chance of that happening on a vulcan 3 is probably very small, as it use a solid barrel, screwed directly steel against steel.

What? It's the exact opposite. Have you ever seen a .22 Uragan2 or Pathera make 114fpe ? The V3 can and it comes without a choke.
The Uragan2 and Pathera are not even in the power ballpark and don't have enough plenum to get there.

Interesting, I must be thinking of the older version? Looks like it has the newer/updated valve like the uragan 2 which is a very good and advanced design that can create a ton of power. That valve is the only valve I know that can rival/surpass FX’s balance valve in power and efficiency. Now I’m curious on why they aren’t any where near as popular as other brands.

What? It's the exact opposite. Have you ever seen a .22 Uragan2 or Pathera make 114fpe ? The V3 can and it comes without a choke.
The Uragan2 and Pathera are not even in the power ballpark and don't have enough plenum to get there.

That meassure is incorrect.

With that meassure of fps it HAS to be a sonic braking bang sound. And the video clearly show that the pellet is flying under sound speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
That measure is incorrect.

With that meassure of fps it HAS to be a sonic braking bang sound. And the video clearly show that the pellet is flying under sound speed.

Could be the mic? It does have a bit of that crack sound. I do have some reservations since you made me watched the video again, why is the 30 grain at 1170 fps and 45 grain at 1070 fps or only 70 fps difference. In my experience the difference in speed on the same tune between 31.5 grain and 35 grain is higher than 70 fps. Between 35 grain and 20 grain or difference of 15 grain like the video the difference is dramatic or 400fps difference. Maybe that's because he is already at 1000 fps range? don't know but certainly interesting.

Interesting, I must be thinking of the older version? Looks like it has the newer/updated valve like the uragan 2 which is a very good and advanced design that can create a ton of power. That valve is the only valve I know that can rival/surpass FX’s balance valve in power and efficiency. Now I’m curious on why they aren’t any where near as popular as other brands.
V3 doesn't have the assisted valve like U2. This new valve isn't the biz imho because turning hammer spring doesn't do anything as a result.
And yes, V3 has a lot more power out of box because of the huge plenum while still keeping a high shot count. Want that power from a U2 possible but shot count will suffer drastically.

Reactions: qball
Pretty much any gun hiked up to that sort of power level will have an atrocious shot count. Uragan 2 or V3 included.

The uragan 2 has a balanced valve with a very light hammer, with power adjustment mainly by reg pressure. The vulcan has a traditional valve with a heavy hammer and spring, with more standard mix of reg pressure balanced to hammer strike. At 114fpe the famed vulcan hammer slap must be something akin to a sledgehammer hitting a railway spike.
So at stupid powers the U2 will likely be more civilized to shoot.

Both have very big plenums - more than enough to achieve any power level a normal shooter could ask for.
Also like the AAO guy mentioned the V3 barrel is machined with a much smaller TP than U2, somewhat hampering it's potential power output - I suppose this may change, if it hasn't already.

Out of the box every uragan 2 700mm (all 0.22... South Africa 🤷‍♂️) I've encountered has come shooting 25gr slugs at 970fps, while the vulcan 3 has been set at the factory (with the high power plenum setup) shooting the same projectiles at 900-910fps. I'm guessing the distributors in certain parts of the world may tune up their V3's a bit before shipping if you're finding them higher power out the box...

Both are very good guns and the U2 I've currently got matches my heavily modded and tuned (and stupidly accurate) impact with slugs, straight out of the box, as have the last three I've compared, with the V3 not far behind. Id be willing to bet it would match them if it had been tuned up a little.

If you asked me 2 weeks ago I would have said URAGAN 2 in .30 cal without even blinking,...today ?

Man that Panthera in .30 cal either 500 or 600 sure looks fantastic.
It really does look great, but it is just too new for me.
if I were looking to buy sometime later this year, I would not rule out the Panthera,
If looking to buy next week, well, the Panthera is still untested when compared to the Uragan and Vulcan are.

Have you considered the RTI prophet 2?
I consider the Prophet 2 too new also. Thats why I bought a Prophet Performance version 1 and have been 150% happy with my choice.
And even got it discounted since they were bringing in the P2's.

This time next year, when the Panthera has had time to get all the bug worked out if any surface, I might buy one. I really like the overall design.

V3 doesn't have the assisted valve like U2. This new valve isn't the biz imho because turning hammer spring doesn't do anything as a result.
And yes, V3 has a lot more power out of box because of the huge plenum while still keeping a high shot count. Want that power from a U2 possible but shot count will suffer drastically.

Are you talking about the new assisted valve in U2? Due to the design it opens and closes very quick so the hammer is very light, because of that the hammer spring adjustment doesn't do a whole lot and power is mostly tuned using reg pressure. Then the down side of that especially on the U2 is the U2 doesn't or most AGT guns don't have externally adjustable regs AFAIK. Between the traditional valve and the new assisted valve I'll take the assisted valve any day if I'm looking to shoot high power/slugs, it's just made for high power and far more efficient.

U2 valve I heard is using pneumatic and Impact is using mechanical assist to limit valve travel/dwell and help valve close faster. Obvious the advantage of FX's mechanical valve close assist is extremely adjustable where U2's pneumatic assist is completely not adjustable BUT it also assists with valve opening. I'm wondering if FX's new high impulse valve in Panthera has any sort of valve open/closing assist and if it is the mechanical method like the M3 or the pneumatic method like the U2, given it's a dedicated high power slug gun I'm guess FX would incline to use the pneumatic methods to get max power and efficiency. HOWEVER from the thread of someone just received a Panthera the cocking is stiff which means a heavy hammer spring which means it most likely does not have a pneumatic valve assist. Will find out when I get mine, hopefully soon.

Pretty much any gun hiked up to that sort of power level will have an atrocious shot count. Uragan 2 or V3 included.

The uragan 2 has a balanced valve with a very light hammer, with power adjustment mainly by reg pressure. The vulcan has a traditional valve with a heavy hammer and spring, with more standard mix of reg pressure balanced to hammer strike. At 114fpe the famed vulcan hammer slap must be something akin to a sledgehammer hitting a railway spike.
So at stupid powers the U2 will likely be more civilized to shoot.

Both have very big plenums - more than enough to achieve any power level a normal shooter could ask for.
Also like the AAO guy mentioned the V3 barrel is machined with a much smaller TP than U2, somewhat hampering it's potential power output - I suppose this may change, if it hasn't already.

Out of the box every uragan 2 700mm (all 0.22... South Africa 🤷‍♂️) I've encountered has come shooting 25gr slugs at 970fps, while the vulcan 3 has been set at the factory (with the high power plenum setup) shooting the same projectiles at 900-910fps. I'm guessing the distributors in certain parts of the world may tune up their V3's a bit before shipping if you're finding them higher power out the box...

Both are very good guns and the U2 I've currently got matches my heavily modded and tuned (and stupidly accurate) impact with slugs, straight out of the box, as have the last three I've compared, with the V3 not far behind. Id be willing to bet it would match them if it had been tuned up a little.
Hi!

Do You have some links or a like where to read/watch more about that U2 balanced valve?

Hi!

Do You have some links or a like where to read/watch more about that U2 balanced valve?

Not specifically about the uragan 2 one but it's a pretty standard balance valve so this article is probably the best.
The uragan 2 hammer is also an SSG type design so there is a link to that in the article too if you want the full picture.

Reactions: Loff