FX VERSUS CALDWELL CHORNY

I was messing around with these the other day I put the FX in the middle of the Caldwell and was surprised to find one of them is off? The FX is 20-24fps slower than the Caldwell or the Caldwell is faster LOL. Any one experience this?

Dennis

Was the difference between the two chronographs consistently the same?

if you shot through the Caldwel without any left/right or up/down angle it should give you the most reliable readings because the distance from the end of your rifle to the two measuring sensors will always be the same.

The FX Chronograph uses Doppler radar with a measuring envelope of approximately 2 feet in length. That means the distance between the end of your rifle and the location where the pellet is measured could vary within that 2 feet. However, this would only make a meaningful difference with very low velocities. However, it will be inherently less consistent.

As far as which one is closer to the real velocity (accuracy vs consistency): can’t tell that without a calibrated reference Chronograph or an oscilloscope.

I have a Caldwel and an FX chronograph and an oscilloscope. I have two sensors 5 inches apart that I hooked up to the oscilloscope to measure spikes as the pellet passes them. We are looking at around 800 µs at 530 ft./s. If I get time I will see if I can do a comparison.

Last fall, I hung my FX on the end of my Brocock barrel then put my Pro Chrono about 6’ away and they both read exactly the same numbers. I was amazed because I was expecting to see some differences. Then my buddy took my pro crono and put it in line with his Caldwell and shot his 9mm pistol over both. Again same numbers or within just a couple digits.

Doesn't matter. The two important aspects of a chronograph, for most practical purposes, are that it's reliable (it captures every shot) and repeatable (the values don't change due to solar angle, shadow, PMS, whatever). It doesn't really matter if it reports the "real" fps, as long as it shows a 10 fps change as 10 fps. Which is to say that absolute accuracy isn't that important, but relative accuracy is. (Yes, please lecture me on accuracy vs. precision...) Oh, the third most important thing is that it not attach to the barrel. That's a complete non-starter.

As long as the relative accuracy is good, you have all the information you need to tune, etc. 

I have owned perhaps as many as a dozen powder-burner chronos and it seems that most offsets are systematic. For instance, my pact chronos (3 units) were all consistently ~10fps "faster" than my Oehler chronos (2 units). The two Oehler and the three Pact were all consistent amongst each other. In any case, using a "ballistic pendulum" - which is the only way I know to test a chronograph available to those on a limited budget, I determined that the Oehlers were the 'gold standard'. CED chronographs match Oehler pretty well, but only in a full-on lighted box (not just lighted screens). I *suspect* (but don't really know) that the Caldwell is no better. The LabRadar (my current go-to for powder burners) also matches the Oehler. I use an Air-Chrony for my pellet rifles, but have never compared it to the others. 

I'm not seeing a lot of comments about reliability / difficulty in different lighting conditions (where are my Pacific North West shooters?), but that's what would drive my decision.

GsT

Well, I sure do want the repeatable measuring results, i.e., precision.

But for putting my muzzle velocities into my ballistic calculator —

and for estimating hollow point expansion at range —

I also want the true velocity, i.e., accuracy....

Sure, 10fps off the true MV isn't going to make much of a difference, but say 50fps off is a different story.... 😊

Matthias

Well, I sure do want the repeatable measuring results, i.e., precision.

But for putting my muzzle velocities into my ballistic calculator —

and for estimating hollow point expansion at range —

I also want the true velocity, i.e., accuracy....

Sure, 10fps off the true MV isn't going to make much of a difference, but say 50fps off is a different story....
1f60a.svg

Matthias

Fair enough, I guess I'm assuming "adequate accuracy" which is the case with any chrono I've used.

GsT

I have tried everything I can think of as well as a couple PM's I recieved. I shot 2 mags (58 rnds) I saw a variance as high as 50fps. This time I put the FX on a stand in front of the Caldwell. I played with all the settings as well. Once in a while I would get to 10 fps but not consistantly. Strange. It worked so well new, neck and neck with the Caldwell.