FX Verminator MK 2 Who has one?

I placed my deposit on the FX Verminator in .22 cal. a few days ago at AOA and they wanted to know if I wanted to add the Huggett moderator. I forget the exact price they mentioned but it was over $200. I believe FX also sells shroud extensions for about $150 to quiet it down too. My question is and I know this is relative but how loud is the Verminator US version. I would not mind a little bark to the report while hunting squirrels but for rats I would want it pretty quiet. From what I read the barrel is just under 12" and close to the end of the shroud so it might be louder than the typical rifles with longer shrouds. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Bill

ztirffritz thanks for the idea but the Verminator Extreme is a slightly different animal. First off you can see the shroud is much longer and I guess the barrel too. I have been through all of Ted's videos and the closest talk about FX shroud extensions is his video comparing the Bobcat and the Wildcat. I have seen plenty of videos of the Brits shooting their 12 ft. lb. versions and they say they are pretty quiet to start but that is at 12 fpe. Not the 24 fpe that the US version puts out. I know that with the big chunk of cash I am putting out just to get the rifle I will be waiting to see for myself before spending more for a shroud or moderator. I was just hoping someone in the US could give me some first hand experience. Bill

With the shroud extension that is just a hollow tube with end cap or the modular one that you can add sections to it is very quiet. The loudest is at the shooters ear as you hear the hammer hitting the valve. Downrange the gun is quiet the pellet impacting the target is also louder. The hugger is nice gives it a different tone but I don't think any quieter. I wouldn't spend the money at first shoot it and see what you think and maybe latter you may want to try one. Some people just like to accessorize and when you spend 200 dollars on something you may even believe it is quieter. Also check out Neil Clagues mods they are excellent and a good price.

I had the Verminator Extreme in my hands last week and I will say it has a nice feel to it. It had the arrow tube on and was surprisingly light. Accounting for the weight of the barrel, it would still not increase the weight by much. I am sorry to say I did not dry fire it for loudness. I think you have made a good choice, I like this rifle!

Doc

Yes Doc I hope I made a good choice too. I was first looking for a rifle for ratting and then small game hunting. I have a ATN X-Sight a digital night sight which I use ratting and it is quite heavy. The present rifle I have it on is Hatsan AT 44 and it is just too heavy and only gets about 30 shots per fill. I was considering a bullpup to keep the NV sight closer to my body and eliminate some back strain I was experiencing, but most bullpups just did not meet all my requirements. The FX Verminator seems to meet most of my needs. It gets well over a hundred shots per fill, has a three position repeatable power wheel to meet various pesting and small game hunting, has the forward lever cocking arm, is compact and fairly light weight. AOA hopes to get them in later this month so I hope my wait is not too long.

I believe it gets about 70 shots on high power and is really considered a carbine rifle. If you are ratting you will probably like the lower power so you're not putting holes in the wall. Being left-handed I loved the forward position of the cocking lever and I really liked the feel of this gun. The Extreme is on my wish list!!!!!! Like most all FX they all have the same barrel so it should shoot great!. 
Best of Luck with your need rifle!

Doc

AIRGUNBILL: you didn't mention Verminator Extreme in your first post so I am assuming you are not getting the Extreme. I have the V Mk2 in .22 cal. & love it. I did decide on the Huggett for a couple of reasons. First, the Huggett makes it a bit more quiet but secondly it makes it much better looking. Since the barrel is short, The entire shroud is changed & the Huggett replaces the original. So the shroud is the same diameter the length of the barrel. I think I'm hearing you say you like the shot count in the Verminator. Let me give you another option. Many people are taking their 500 cc bottle off their FX500, replacing it with the carbon fiber. The 500cc bottle will screw right on your Verminator giving you even more air. You should be able to pick up one of these bottles pretty cheap. The Verminator is also very easy to work on. 
Let me know if I can help. 

Hey Crusher that is what I like to hear. I might have to pick you brain later with some more questions about your Verminator. I have know doubt that short barrels can be accurate. I have a 15 year old TalonSS in .22 cal. that has a 12" LW barrel and it is very accurate. I have not done anything too it other than clean the barrel and it is still going strong. Here is a video of me taking a grey squirrel at 50 yards last week. I see the Verminator with its 12 shot magazine and other features taking over the squirrel hunting role soon. The noise you hear in the video is me at first reloading the rifle again and then trying to uncock it when the squirrel drops to the ground. Bill

John I hope to be getting my Verminator .22 cal in the next couple of weeks so I have no first hand knowledge. I do see that FX lists the high power output of the rifle at 24 fpe. If you are shooting the JSB 18.13 at 812 fps that means you are getting 26.5 fpe. That means you are getting more fpe than stated for the rifle. Sounds good to me. When I get my rifle I will be shooting it at the different power settings and then post shot count, fps and fpe. Bill

Oh John I see that your old Verm. was shooting at 812 fps. What is your new one shooting at for fps.

Well Bill took a look at my notes looks like the 18 ones should do about 810 or so 15 nine's are averaging 823 14 three's are averaging 844 looks like it's going to be right on par with my other one I'll let you know next time I shoot it 
I also have a 177 Verny shooting 10 threes at 906 average first 80 shots out of the gun are 18 foot pounds 
it also shoots the 8.4's at about 920 for 14 foot-pounds not to pellet picky 22 is about the same not to picky but I haven't tried the 18 ones in the 22 because I wanted a flatter trajectory 
I named my two verminators Bonnie and Clyde Bonnie is the 177 Clyde is the 22 20 shots string with 15.9'sTemperature: Pressure:30f
Bullet Weight: 15.9
Power Factor Average: Power Factor Low: Power Factor High: 24Shot List # Velocity 20 825 19 827 18 825 17 822 16 825 15 824 14 826 13 827 12 823 11 830 10 832 9 822 8 823 7 822 6 821 5 822 4 819 3 820 2 819 1 815 Feet/Lbs 24
Number of Shots: 20 Minimum: 815 Maximum: 832 Spread: 17 Average: 823 Standard Deviation: 4 Date 2/14/16, 5:36 PM