• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Verminator at 37.2lbft 1068fps

HTech

Aug 23, 2015
I was wondering how to make my FX Vermonter more powerful but was told to get a chrono to test it first.
I ordered a chrono and tested the gun using 3 different pellets and was shocked that the power is 37.2lbft and 1068fps.

Obviously above the legal limit but does this sound right ?
Each test gives a slightly different result, over around 2lbft +/-

I am shooting at just under 200bar on the pressure.

My terminator is the mk1

MOD EDIT: MOVED TO PCP

I used the cb625 chrono and am not used to guns in the slightest, I can only add the weight of the pellet and it works out the rest.
I took the gun and chrono to a local gun shop today and they didn't test the gun as they told me that if they did and it was over 12b they couldn't let me have it back.

He took the chrono and tested it on another gun and told me it was almost spot on and to get the power turned down.
I am trying to find out how to do this but details are hard to come by. 

I'm a bit confused (nothing new, dont worry!).

Are you saying this is a Mark 1 FX Verminator ?
My understanding is they could never reach above approx 28 FPE owing to the barrel length, but I'm here to be proved wrong.

However, 37 Ft./pounds is so far off that I would question the data, or your reference tables for the working out.

I am not saying you are wrong - its far more likely to be the Chrono error.

Does your rifle have the 3 way power adjuster on the left of the action? (it should do but some were marketed with the wheel blanked off).

"BRS"I'm a bit confused (nothing new, dont worry!).

My understanding is they could never reach above approx 28 FPE owing to the barrel length, but I'm here to be proved wrong.

However, 37 Ft./pounds is so far off that I would question the data, or your reference tables for the working out.

Does your rifle have the 3 way power adjuster on the left of the action? (it should do but some were marketed with the wheel blanked off).

The guy at the gun shop said the chrono was almost perfect.
I do have the 3 way adjuster, it is 6.8lb / 9.4lb / 37lb

I did some searching and found that the US versions of this gun which is the mk1 did 40lb but as you say, the man in the gunshot did mention the barrel length which is oem.

I brought it from the same shop who tested my chrono today.
I had issues with the gun, when I purchased it, there was no magazine for the pellets so it sat in a cupboard for over a year as FX were useless and wouldn't help me.
Only last week a friend who shoots came round and I ended up getting one from ASI who were brilliant.
I have used the gun a couple of times using his magazine from his wesley gun.

The gunshot wanted paying to limit the power down but I didn't feel I should pay as I purchased it like this.
I paid over £1300 for the gun and a pump so I don't think it was a cheap deal ?

The power wheel is a finely engineered thingie :) with 3 holes to the left of the vertical (vertical from the screw-in adj. pin or handle) & 3 slightly different holes to the right. The 3 smaller diam. holes are those intended to be used in the UK (ie. Non FAC), the larger for higher power levels. To use either the wheel is turned over so that whichever is presented correctly. To do this IN OVERVIEW, Is a matter of removing any scope and separating the upper half of the action, via the bolts at the front, top of the action, the side plate/name plate and flipping the wheel over. There are small 'O' rings involved in the correct seating of the power wheel..

I'm still confused with this one,

The old FX mags are freely available and dont cost much new (even), being the simple side indexing alloy type.

(Never heard of a Wesley air gun, why would their mags work?).

Apart from anything else its incredibly difficult to load these rifles without a mag. - from the Sellers point of view its like selling a car without tyres :) yes. its a car and it will move but....

Thanks for the help guys.
I meant Webley rifle, not wesley.
When I purchased this gut it didn't have a mag so I spoke with the shop who told me to contact FX direct, I did and got nothing and after a few weeks I gave up.
I actually work between the USA and the UK so I am often away for a while and I kind of forgot about the gun.
I have a friend who shoots and he reminded me about it. ASI have been great, they charged me postage only for a new mag and I now have my own, I've shot a few times in the gardens but the results from the chrono are worrying.
I will strip the gun and turn over the wheel.

"HTech"
"BRS"I'm a bit confused (nothing new, dont worry!).

The guy at the gun shop said the chrono was almost perfect.
I do have the 3 way adjuster, it is 6.8lb / 9.4lb / 37lb

I did some searching and found that the US versions of this gun which is the mk1 did 40lb but as you say, the man in the gunshot did mention the barrel length which is oem.
The power wheel should give about 6/9/12. So,if you have measured the power at 6.8/9.4/37 ft-lb then turning over the wheel will accomplish nothing as a previous owner has drilled out the 12 ft-lb hole. Although that makes no sense either.

Personally I think the retailer should be held to account as you have not modified the rifle yourself and are the innocent party.

37 FPE out of an MK1 Verminator with an 8 inch barrel is HIGHLY unlikely. Unless there was some SERIOUS modification done to the power wheel, transfer port, & hammer. The FAC Mk1 Verminator should produce 20-22FPE on high power.

As others have stated: if you live in the UK & do not have a FAC card I suggest you return it to the dealer immediately. They should not have sold it to you without an FAC card.