• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX True Ballistics experiment

Hello from Patagonia, just bought a FX True Ballistic radar, and wanted to share my experience and see if someone has tested this device...
First day, I set all to fire my Panthera at long range (open field) to test if it really reads speeds up to 300 meters. As shown in many videos, it did, and the speeds displayed were consistent with my previous readings, test, and calculations with other devices. So I was happy with the new toy.
Today, I went shooting where I usually do, a pinetree forest, where I can shoot up to 180 meters. So I set up everything, including the new radar. But since I was shooting at 130meters, where I have a natural bullet stop made by the raising terrain (a 4 meters steep natural ramp) I set the longest distance in the radar at 120m. Made some shots, fine tuned the Panthera, and then just for curiosity, increased the last value of the radar to 150 meters, to see if it readed error, or not reading at all. To my surprise, the radar kept showing results up to 150M, even up to 200 when set it. When actually, my slug slamed against the steel target. So is this device just predicting a velocity? Not really measuring it? Does it take the CB at X distance, and then extrapolates the results? Not happy with that, shot at 50 meters, and kept showing speed up to 200. So at this point my disappointment was huge. Then I ran some other test, like shooting really close, something like 7 meter, then it showed muzzle speed, but no other speed, and no BC off course. Then a little bit away, my first distance to "read" was 15 M, and then read muzzle, 15m, and nothing else. Then a little bit further away, and started "reading" up to 200 meters again with a CB, but with crazy results, like muzzle velocity 930 (as should) and velocity a 200m of 2237fps (I guess my slugs are rockets). Throw some crazy CBs....
So now I don't know if this thing really "measures" up to 300 meters, or "guesses" up to 300 meters with a CB taken at certain distance. According to the manual, you should fire at least at 25m, and don't fire at steel targets, etc. Now I don't know how this really works, because first day, the data was consistent with my Mero app using SLG0 drag, that at long distances differs from G1 or RA4, wich the radar may deduce the results....So it's just reading in certain place and that's it, or the algorithm is just filling gaps. I will continue testing, but wanted to hear from someone who owns it and can test this kind of shots.
Pancho

For those interested in buying the True Ballistic, after several tests, I've concluded that this device only takes a CB value at around 25 yards, and that's it. The rest is just a simple ballistic calculation, it doesn't measure at the distances you set it to, it just shows an algorithm result. And according the drag model you use, the result you will get. So basically, at least for me, it's just an expensive way to get an "CB" at really short distance, and if used with pellets or slugs, that CB doesn't help much, because the drag laws availables at the moment don't apply. The battery is huge, 6800mah, last several days of use (say 2hs per day of continue use), the battery drecreases in four steps, 100%, 75%, 50% and 25%. It's really handy to have all in one, display and batteries. But overall, too expensive when you realize it doesn't really do any speed measure at distances, only math.
Just my two cents on the FX "not so" True Ballistic

Although the minimum measuring range for this device is indeed 25 yards, this doesn't fully reflect its capabilities. For long-range shooting with airguns, we recommend an unobstructed line of sight of 100 yards, allowing the ballistic models to be fitted to sufficient data points for enhanced accuracy.

It's important to note that smaller projectiles, such as .22 slugs, present a reduced cross-sectional area for the Doppler radar, making them more challenging to track over long distances. However, even in these scenarios, provided there is sufficient line of sight, the ballistic models still function effectively. The cross-sectional area of a .22 slug is approximately 19.36% of a .50 cal bullet, which reduces the maximum tracking distance.

While larger caliber ammunition typically provides an extended detection range with Doppler radar, numerous factors such as atmospheric conditions can influence this range. Our primary objective is to guarantee the precision of our ballistic calculations under all shooting distances. Therefore, considering the variables that can fluctuate in real-world situations, we refrain from providing specific figures for tracking distances.

Although the minimum measuring range for this device is indeed 25 yards, this doesn't fully reflect its capabilities. For long-range shooting with airguns, we recommend an unobstructed line of sight of 100 yards, allowing the ballistic models to be fitted to sufficient data points for enhanced accuracy.

It's important to note that smaller projectiles, such as .22 slugs, present a reduced cross-sectional area for the Doppler radar, making them more challenging to track over long distances. However, even in these scenarios, provided there is sufficient line of sight, the ballistic models still function effectively. The cross-sectional area of a .22 slug is approximately 19.36% of a .50 cal bullet, which reduces the maximum tracking distance.

While larger caliber ammunition typically provides an extended detection range with Doppler radar, numerous factors such as atmospheric conditions can influence this range. Our primary objective is to guarantee the precision of our ballistic calculations under all shooting distances. Therefore, considering the variables that can fluctuate in real-world situations, we refrain from providing specific figures for tracking distances.
Ok, but anyway, shooting a .25 31gn slug, does the same, takes info up to X distance, that it can get data from the radar, and the makes a prediction just like strelok or any other ballistic app. It would be better, at least for me, that it shows up to what distance it could read, and what was the actual velocity; and at least have the option to show or not the "prediction". As I said before, the value you get really doesn't mean much, since not all slugs clearly fit on G1 or RA4, so having real data at distances helps to build a drag model like SLG0(Ballisticboy). So what I mean with all this? Is that I think it's a nice product, but too expensive for what really does vs all advertised and the lack of more detailed info in the manual so one really knows what actually does, or does not, before buying.

Reactions: Raider03