• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX - time to move on?

Not directed at the OP but many of the members here really need to get over this us versus them mentality. That mindset causes a lot of unnecessary contention.

@kd7rsrrze1, if you'd like to try something else, go right ahead.. I own a bunch of airguns, from a bunch of different companies. They all have pros and cons. If you like to shoot and see what you and a gun is capable of, broadening your horizons will allow you to enjoy the hobby more. Alluding to my first sentence, there's a certain contingent here that seems to enjoy defending their brand choice (into the ground) more than they enjoy shooting. If youre on the shooter side more than the online gang type, I think you'll enjoy simply experiencing what else is out there.

Not directed at the OP but many of the members here really need to get over this us versus them mentality. That mindset causes a lot of unnecessary contention.

@kd7rsrrze1, if you'd like to try something else, go right ahead.. I own a bunch of airguns, from a bunch of different companies. They all have pros and cons. If you like to shoot and see what you and a gun is capable of, broadening your horizons will allow you to enjoy the hobby more. Alluding to my first sentence, there's a certain contingent here that seems to enjoy defending their brand choice (into the ground) more than they enjoy shooting. If youre on the shooter side more than the online gang type, I think you'll enjoy simply experiencing what else is out there.
I agree with everything you've said but will add.......
"there's a certain contingent here that seems to enjoy BASHING a brand (into the ground) more than they enjoy shooting. If you're on the shooter side more than the online gang type, I think you'll enjoy simply experiencing what else is out there."

I have owned 4 FX products and of the 4, 1 has been great and the others are great sometimes and at other times... not so great.
The great one was the Logun Solo in .22. Robust and just flat dependable oh, accurate too.
Second best is my late model Impact MK in .22.
Third would be my Wildcat MK3BT Compact. 22. Love the stock!
Lastly is my Impact MK3 in .22.
The Logun Solo only ever required breach o-rings every few years. Why did I ever sell it??
My Mk2 Impact has been pretty good with the 700mm barrel and slug liner. I have had to replace the regular once and both gauges once. I was hoping the barrel tensioner system would be a step up but I have yet to have found a way to keep it as consistent as was my own simple system. I cut a piece of carbon fiber (thick walled) tubing squared the ends and secured tension with my moderator. I could pick it up buy the barrel without notable POI shift. A little silicone grease on the ends goes a long way to ensure this. I have had to replace the bottle to bottle adaptor washer/ seal also. I don't push it hard but I do have 2 hammer weight washers installed. I shoot NSA 24.8 grain slugs around 1030fps. Both liners love JSB MRD between 870 and 920fps.
The Wildcat MK3BT Compact is great with the HADES around 930-935fps an MRD as well but it can be pretty sensitive accuracy wise more than the others. Short barrel syndrome?? This has need a new bottle gauge and breach o-rings. Less than a year old. The 600mm liners both have less than acceptable accuracy. Both lead up really fast!
The Impact MK3 does well with the 700mm and 800mm barrels. The 800 has the FX tensioner system and loves 31 and 28.5 NSA slugs. The latter at 1070ish. It has the heavier Huma brass hammer weight and NSA slug probe. I'm on my second 1rst regulator 2nd set of gauges. I'm running my 2nd regular at 155 and feel like the 1rst reg is better suited for much lower 2nd reg pressures if need at all. The MK2 is just more consistent than this is.
At this point I'm considering getting a Tiapan Veteran, Kalibur Cricket or something else that is more robust and less finicky.
Selling the MK2 to my brother for his fist PCP. It should do him a good job for pesting and target shooting from his deck.
Blasphemy
I have owned 4 FX products and of the 4, 1 has been great and the others are great sometimes and at other times... not so great.
The great one was the Logun Solo in .22. Robust and just flat dependable oh, accurate too.
The Logun Solo only ever required breach o-rings every few years. Why did I ever sell it??
My Mk2 Impact has been pretty good with the 700mm barrel and slug liner. I have had to replace the regular once and both gauges once. I was hoping the barrel tensioner system would be a step up but I have yet to have found a way to keep it as consistent as was my own simple system. I cut a piece of carbon fiber (thick walled) tubing squared the ends and secured tension with my moderator. I could pick it up buy the barrel without notable POI shift. A little silicone grease on the ends goes a long way to ensure this. I have had to replace the bottle to bottle adaptor washer/ seal also. I don't push it hard but I do have 2 hammer weight washers installed. I shoot NSA 24.8 grain slugs around 1030fps. Both liners love JSB MRD between 870 and 920fps.
The Wildcat MK3BT Compact is great with the HADES around 930-935fps an MRD as well but it can be pretty sensitive accuracy wise more than the others. Short barrel syndrome?? This has need a new bottle gauge and breach o-rings. Less than a year old. The 600mm liners both have less than acceptable accuracy. Both lead up really fast!
The Impact MK3 does well with the 700mm and 800mm barrels. The 800 has the FX tensioner system and loves 31 and 28.5 NSA slugs. The latter at 1070ish. It has the heavier Huma brass hammer weight and NSA slug probe. I'm on my second 1rst regulator 2nd set of gauges. I'm running my 2nd regular at 155 and feel like the 1rst reg is better suited for much lower 2nd reg pressures if need at all. The MK2 is just more consistent than this is.
At this point I'm considering getting a Tiapan Veteran, Kalibur Cricket or something else that is more robust and less finicky.
Selling the MK2 to my brother for his fist PCP. It should do him a good job for pesting and target shooting from his deck.
Blasphemy

• Haha
Reactions: Macros and efem09
And they don't win EBR either. ;)
In a very respectful manor Not all of us on this forum are competing in EBR and just enjoy the hobby at home with friends and Family haha. Some of us just pest and hunt . I am just saying fortunately there is enough to go around here for all of us Pros and Joes haha.
This is what appears to elude some of the members at times and this is not directed at you in any form just an observation from a knuckle head lol.
(y)

In a very respectful manor Not all of us on this forum are competing in EBR and just enjoy the hobby at home with friends and Family haha. Some of us just pest and hunt . I am just saying fortunately there is enough to go around here for all of us Pros and Joes haha.
This is what appears to elude some of the members at times and this is not directed at you in any form just an observation from a knuckle head lol.
(y)
No worries man.
Mine was a smart azz reply to a smart azz reply!

I agree with everything you've said but will add.......
"there's a certain contingent here that seems to enjoy BASHING a brand (into the ground) more than they enjoy shooting. If you're on the shooter side more than the online gang type, I think you'll enjoy simply experiencing what else is out there."
You very effectively proved my point, while concurrently missing it.

Used to be heavily into target archery. I am realizing that FX is the Mathews of the archery world. Was a decent size group that loved to hate Mathews who made great bows. 🤷‍♂️I have three FX guns and love all of them. Also have a Vulcan 3 and love that with the exception of the cost of .30 cal ammo compared to 22 and 25. To each their own though.

Reactions: carlos_hathcock
You very effectively proved my point, while concurrently missing it.
Yes I got your not very complicated point.....while you concurrently missed the irony of mine.
I also will point out I wasn't disagreeing with you but rather pointing out the existence of the other end of the spectrum that also exists here.

Lots of good options out there, you certainly hit on two of them in Taipan & Kalibrgun. No sense sticking with one brand if they're not batting a high percentage when it comes to your expectations. At risk of getting the basher label here (way past giving a :poop:) - went 0 for 2 in reliability with them & called it a day. Some bad luck maybe, & I've had other duds too, a quick search here on any brand will pull up some less than satisfied customers. Best we can do is learn as much as possible about a certain rifle, then you pays your money & takes your chances.

I had 2 Mathews bows indoor and 3-d shoots , and two botechs one admiral and A bowtech destroyer 350 for the woods. Can't pull a greased string from a cats ??? now server shoulder and chest issues. Which is what turned me into the pcp world several years back. I loved the mathews bows. lol
I'm a veteran of the Mathews vs Hoyt vs Bowtech vs whatever wars too... drove me to whittling my own out of hickory, osage & locust. Which dragged me into the white woods vs heart woods war o_O.
Like you, those days are long gone for me... left shoulder aches at the sight of anything bow shaped, even a crescent moon will set it off ☠️

Yeah, it's time to move on. No need for moral support cause we know you been lookin.
check_out_stare_03.gif

Used to be heavily into target archery. I am realizing that FX is the Mathews of the archery world. Was a decent size group that loved to hate Mathews who made great bows. 🤷‍♂️I have three FX guns and love all of them. Also have a Vulcan 3 and love that with the exception of the cost of .30 cal ammo compared to 22 and 25. To each their own though.
Oh god do I remember the Matthews vs Hoyt vs Bowtech blah blah blah.
It’s is no different here with different makers.
What we see is tribalism. Some folks just want or need to b e long to something and home turf must be defended or the other tribe must be impugned.
OP try what you like. There are so many good air guns available that you cannot make everyone happy with your choice, but who cares? It is your money and it was your experience that motivated the change.

Naturally you need a new airgun(s).
Now having had a few OLD FX rifles -and AA and ... - I know what you mean about "robust" & accurate. Just shoot period. Orings & such should last 10 years and then be replaced only due to age Not due to any leak.
Trying to be a good "airgun friend" I would say the ones you mentioned looking at sound like fun, but, so does contacting Davis for a new old stock FX model, perhaps exactly the one you let get away? Ya do that, I mean at least call him and ask what old school FX he has, fit, finish, just shoot and only 10's. Then try something new.

Just trying to help.

John

Reactions: kd7rsrrze1
I like FX. They're very well made and have been quite reliable for me. The Czech guns are also fantastic shooters, but they all tend to be a bit heavy and chunky for my taste. Personal preference.

I participate in pretty much every shooting/hunting sport there is, not just airgunning, and I spend my money on high-end equipment that is reliable and performs well. I don't spend money on marketing wank. FX is at the top of my list for airguns, and they earned their spot at the top.

That said, I've noticed that many (not all, but many) of the people who disparage FX either have never actually owned an FX gun, or have had one bad experience with them. There was another thread here just a few weeks ago started by a guy who went on and on about how FX guns were overrated and how people shouldn't waste their money on them....and turned out that he had never even owned one.

Just my $0.02