• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Superlight STX Barrels?

Just to add to CC's information; If you look closely at CC's pic, where the liner meets the conical piece on the right, you'll see a brass nut. Inside the conical piece there are 5 O-Rings. That brass nut tightens down, squashing the O-Rings against the side wall, compressing the O-Rings creating a solid-ish connection to the block/receiver. That is what holds it in. There is another thread here where danny5692 has created a 3D printable spacer. So, instead of having them attach to the liner as in CC's pic (3 of them), they attach to the carbon sleeve once installed (2 of them on the carbon sleeve, the third is at the muzzle on the liner as the carbon sleeve ends before reaching the actual muzzle). I just had two printed and hope to test this week sometime (wind permitting).

Carbon sleeve FX Crown. - Airgun Nation

mike 

Superlite is a step forward especially for Crown and Dreamline as it can be made into a “true” free floating barrel. STX is very heavy in comparison and the steel tube IMHO doesn’t add much value especially when you add the carbon liner sleeve. some may say the steel tube adds stiffness but I disagree because the liner is butting or secured against the steel tube with rubber orings…..seriously how stiff are rubber orings? Rubber and stiffness only go together in just one situation I can think of…….🤔🤨🤫

my favorite setup right now is Superlite barrel with carbon liner sleeve installed with only 1 spacer at the very end. This is the stiffest and the closest any FX barrel after the solid ST barrel can get to true free floating barrel. If you put a spacer in the middle then it changes the harmonics and pressure point which means the barrel is no longer free floating. although it’s just my opinion/theory but so far I think it’s working ok.

This is 5 shots at 100 yards with said 600mm superlite barrel + superior heavy + sleeve glued + single spacer at the end on my crown shooting NSA 217 slugs, does have room to improve though. 

A1F0D315-6AD8-4B0E-BA48-203D396B11C3.1642449170.jpeg

Wow qball 

That's kind of the way I was thinking. I have a 700mm .25 cal coming tomorrow and planning on one at the very end. Do you think gluing is necessary even if it fits really tight

Gluing the FX version certainly is not necessary. I do it because I like to remove all possibility of movement/change/variable in the future. 

@qball, Does your carbon liner touch at the breech end, or is a gap left (does the cf touch the brass nut)? I put an o-ring at the interface of cf to brass, not sure why, but I did. 
thanks

I left some space so the brass nut can turn and the liner can be changed out if needed for whatever reason. Don’t think the oring will add anything nor will it do any harm.