Tuning FX Superior liners - uneven crown

I would fix it for the peace of mind but my experience has been that a slightly irregular crown has far less influence than, say, a micro burr left behind from the crowning operation. By "less influence" I mean usually indistinguishable amidst all the other variables that contribute to dispersion at a distance.

Do you think a brass screw method can help here or a lathe is needed?

Crown

If its not right Send it back to the seller/mfg.

You paid good money and got a not perfect product.

DennisB

As I mentioned - every liner which I checked has that problem to some extent and I checked about six of them.

The crown is how Fx makes them. The internal diameter or the thickness of the wall of the barrel/liner has slight variation due to the rifling process. the rifling is pressed in or caused by deformation of the perfectly round tube so the tube isn’t round anymore so you can not get perfectly even crown no matter how you try. This is not a traditional barrel. 

Just shoot it and see if it’s accurate, all my liners crown look like that. If you try to “fix” it you might ruin a perfectly good shooting barrel/liner. 

... micro burr left behind from the crowning operation ...

I did a crowning over the weekend on four of Leshiy2 barrels and once I was there I just re-did on FX liner as well this one without re-facing.

On .22 looks/feels better but the .25's when I push a pellet through I can feel that "wire edge" you describing. I tried many things and just could not get rid of it. {maybe a very first abrasive could be too rough? I did not tried to start with the next grit...)

Maybe shooting 50 pellets through can clean that micro burr and I just revisit with a very slight touch?

The Hunter friends may not be bothered with it, but I would like to shoot and score rings and having it in my mind really pokes.

.......index our liners.

I rolled the Superior Heavy first time this weekend - on four bearings (my arrow cutting jig) .......... it was an eye opening. Next time I buy a liner I am taking my jig to the store and test it right there with a dealer (2-3 hrs away btw but I don't care how far).

This liner I was indexing back couple months ago, the 10 shot/each - pattern center was about 4-5" radius @ 100. To the left of my scope optical center.

Arrow spine indexing jig. The shaft sits on two ends and in the center put a weight. Rotate the shaft and it will show the stiff and weak side of the tube.

IMG_5050.1651759879.jpg

Two bearings on one end and same at the other end

IMG_5051.1651760049.jpg

Make it you can adjust the length

20220429_152458.1651760238.jpg

20220429_153416.1651760691.jpg

I don't have a lathe, but I needed something to face-polish the barrel

20220429_153330.1651760287.jpg

And just out of curiosity I put a FX liner and started rotating. :(