• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Superior Liner quality and consistency

Hi,

Have you noticed that the liner which comes with an airgun is more accurate than the one bought separately? I mean FX claims that every airgun is tested for accuracy so if they discover a poor performing liner they may perform accurizing. However, spare liners may not be tested at all. FX please chime in if I am wrong.

Thanks!

My .22 impact with a 500 mm barrel shot 3 groups in a row at 100 yards. 5 shots each. All under moa. Whatever they did with them, they really work. 

NSA slugs at 990 fps. 20.2 grain with .216 size. 
20210613_204202.1625279507.jpg

20210613_205328.1625279566.jpg

Nope, most consistent barrel on the market thanks to their manufacturing technic. I bought quite a few liners and they are all very accurate. However how you install it does make a difference.

Could you say more on that? How much torque should be applied on a barrel nut?

Torque on the barrel nut is relatively important but the oring placement especially on 700mm liners are very important, it affects the harmonics significantly. Best way to solve this is the carbon liner sleeves. 

And my .22 heavy superior slug b barrel was terrible. I removed the choke and it is now dead nuts accurate! Issue was, it had NO rifling if you want to call their system as having such, in the choke area what so ever. Complete smooth bore. the rest of the bbl. was fine. 

No response from FX USA what so ever!

Knifes 

Pic's of before and after choke removal. 

DSC02605.1625378654.JPG
DSC02656.1625378698.JPG
 The shot gun pattern from the hoked bbl. was only at 50 yards. The now tight group from bbl with choke removed was at 80 yards. 

Being ignored by FX with this issue was one of the reasons I went with an Uragan. if you don't have time for the customer,. This customer has no time for you!

Knife

Nope, we had a shipment of M3's sent to south Africa that all had this weird transverse circumferential ribbing on the liners and were absolutely terrible accuracy wise. It looked like the tubing they use had a manufacturing defect that somehow slipped past them or they ignored. 

A friend bought some superior and superior heavy liners from the Netherlands (krale or huma, I forget which) at the same time which all arrived with the same defect and they also shot poorly. Pushing a pellet or slug through those felt severely ratchety due the ribbing causing intermittent tight and loose spots. The vendor replaced those with barrels from the next batch without question thankfully and the replacements were back to being great barrels. 

Bottom line is I doubt either gets significantly more testing than the other and it remains entirely possible to get a dud on occasion.

They are visible on both and are completely unrelated to the cut ring that indicates the breech end if that what you were asking. The markings were relatively faint on the outside surface and appeared as if a chuck or some such machine part that was gripping the outer tube was intermittently slipping every few cm during manufacture (although I have no actual idea how they manufacture the tubes - just trying to illustrate). It was much more obvious internally and looked like transverse rings superimposed on the normal polygonal type rifling, seemingly formed in a similar way to the impressed rifling itself. 

I found a picture one of my friends sent. Unfortunately it's a WhatsApp photo I've had to crop so it has pretty poor res and his annotations on it, but you can see the internal ribbing. They run the entire length of the barrel and are much more prominent than the normal rifling.

81F184D9-C491-47F3-9AD2-6232D0AB8901.1625460898.jpeg

Not that way for my .22 500mm Superior liner purchased after I got my gun shoots one hole groups at 50 yards and my .25 700mm STX slug liner A I purchased after I bought my Impact has shot more .5 inch groups at 100 yards than I can count.
So if I got a fx Wildcat mk 2 25 500mm and I’m thinking of getting a 700 superior would I need a new shroud or anything wouldn’t it make the barrel longer ? Please get back

Nope, most consistent barrel on the market thanks to their manufacturing technique. I bought quite a few liners and they are all very accurate. However how you install it does make a difference.
Yeah, what he said. It is absolutely critical to make sure everything along the line is snug, not screamingly tight but snug.