• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Superior Liner overpolishing

Hi,

Has anyone experienced liner overpolishing meaning that it fouls faster than a non polished one? Matt mentioned that a frosty glass has less friction than a regular glass given no lube is used.

I polished my liner to a mirror finish and I observed that with JSB .30 2.9g pellets. I need to test is with lubed slugs - it may work better.

Thanks!

Both my Maverick .30 and my M3 in .22 are tack drivers with slugs...I use CRC heavy duty silicone and it increased the speed by about 30fps over no lube!

I use a paper towel on a plate.,.spray some lube on and give a few at a time a quick roll around and in to a tin! Silicone will dry but stays super slick!!!

I've polished barrels in the past but haven't touched either of these...

600mm on my M3 and shooting MOA at 100 with 24.8 grain NSA in .218 diameter at about 935fps!

James from Michigan

@knifemaker, what kind of lube do you recommend? I have some WeaponShield oil. Have you tried slugs with Superior liners? Do you think there is any chance for them to shoot good without any polishing and no lube?

I use Super Lube silicone grease on a Lyman case lube pad. Silicone oil will work also but I prefer the grease. Dow Corning Molykote M77 works very well to treat the bore but it can be really messy. It's something like 65% molybdenum disulfide in a silicone grease carrier.

@knifemaker, what kind of lube do you recommend? I have some WeaponShield oil. Have you tried slugs with Superior liners? Do you think there is any chance for them to shoot good without any polishing and no lube?

I use 10 to 15 weight silicone oil. Matt Der suggested a small amount of Vaseline in the oil nad I tried it. Works wonders!

For the fellow that uses 400 grit lapping compound! The is substantially corser than the finish in the factory FX barrel. I use at least 600 and follow with extra fine crocus cloth and then flitz metal polish. Te Crocus is apx 2000 grit, which is iron oxide which breads down quickly to much finer that the 2000 grit. 

Yes, I do have FX barrels that I shoot slugs thru. Here is a cherry picked one at 80 yards with my hand cast. One shot to settle reg, and 10 more oni target. 

Knife

DSC02656.1624687534.JPG

I use 10 to 15 weight silicone oil. Matt Der suggested a small amount of Vaseline in the oil nad I tried it. Works wonders!

For the fellow that uses 400 grit lapping compound! The is substantially corser than the finish in the factory FX barrel. I use at least 600 and follow with extra fine crocus cloth and then flitz metal polish. Te Crocus is apx 2000 grit, which is iron oxide which breads down quickly to much finer that the 2000 grit. 

Yes, I do have FX barrels that I shoot slugs thru. Here is a cherry picked one at 80 yards with my hand cast. One shot to settle reg, and 10 more oni target. 

Knife

DSC02656.1624687534.JPG

that is crazy accuracy knife!!!!! I don’t think I can hold my gun that steady!!!

my understanding is FX battle is polished from the factory or before they even even get rifling. Granted I don’t have the ability to shoot groups like Knife even if he handed me his gun! 

I have had good luck with ZERO polishing or cleaning even. I do use pledge furniture wax which does seem to help with pellets learned from Tom Holland or field target tech. When it comes to slugs I only shoot NSA which is pre-lubed but after seeing knife’s groups I think I’ll add some pledge to the NSA slugs also, at least I will feel better mentally. LOL