• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Super light barrel system

I have some accuracy issues with my FX Crown in .22 . I suspect this could be due to some lack of rigidity of "a liner in a tube in a shroud " system . So I wonder if the new Super light barrel system could be improve stiffness and accuracy. The assembly is sold with a FX moderator at the shroud end ; don't know if this can be removed or not.

If somebody had some experience with this ..... your opinion is welcome.

Yep, the new superior liners seem to lead up a lot less. The older ones (which I still use as well) tended to require cleaning every few hundred rounds. Polishing or waxing the bore can stay or eliminate this.

Also, I know the older STX barrels with the liner sleeve have some sort of tensioning nut. And the torque on them has to be just right otherwise you may have issues. Too tight or too loose can be problematic.... Beyond that.... harmonics may be an issue.

One more issue was the hammer spring needing polishing. Mine was creating small aluminum shavings off of the guide that over time built up in the hammer tube. Making hammer strike erratic.... leading to erratic velocities, and erratic groups.

Hello!

I have a .22 Continuum that has the light barrel set up. I thought the same thing, more rigidity, so I bought three more of the spacers and installed them spaced evenly except for the last one at the muzzle. FX has stated that the last one needs to be within 1.2" of the muzzle, so that is what I did. After shooting three barrels with this set up, I have basically confirmed that it actually made is the gun less accurate than factory. I just removed the extra spacers last week and it started shooting better groups after about 50 pellets as I had cleaned the barrel as well. I had cleaned all three barrels as well without much change in groupings. I tried 2 different slug 'A' liners (yeah, they still call em liners, not barrels) and 1 Superior Heavy liner, all with pellets NOT slugs by the way. Problem was that last week was rather windy here, so I'm gonna check it out again this coming Saturday (hopefully, it's not too windy) and see how it groups

Not sure why, but that's my story so far.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Hm, that's odd. I have a MK1 Continuum, and never had any accuracy issues with it. I have 2 spacers on the short barrel. The last one is not within 1.2" of the muzzle. probabaly more like 2.5-3" It has a standard pellet A liner.

My other barrel is currently converted to a 500mm barrel using a superior liner. I bonded the liner to a carbon fiber tube using epoxy, and it has only 2 spacers on it. No measurement or science to how the spacers are arranged, simply put them where I felt best about them being.

129757251_10158776034294034_5915731513241631875_o.1613717112.jpg

The last spacer is probably very close to that 1.2"

I've been shooting slugs and pellets thru it with extremely good results.

OK , thanks for your advices ; I'll probably go for a Super Light barrel system . It's sounds more efficient to get rid of the intermediate tubing . Using directly the shroud to support the liner could improve stiffness. 

Anyway one never knows without trying ;sometimes the quest for airguns accuracy seems to be a never-ending story 😄.

Hi, The Crown super light barrels at Pyramyd Air don't come with the FX Moderator. If fact mine arrived without the screw on thread cover. There is one 700mm 0.22cal super light barrel in stock, 500mm and 600mm 0.22 barrels are out of stock. Have you tried to "harmonically tune" your current barrel system? The link below is a good video on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5vcg9IFbKs

Tuning the FX Crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrDZmB5egU

Shorter Video on just the effect of projectile velocity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTSTkC9ACK8&t=2s

No , I don't ...but after this video I'll surely do . Very interesting and clearly explained. Thanks for this.

Hi, I added two more videos. One on tuning the FX Crown and another on the effect of pellet velocity on group size (FX Impact).

I didn't realize that the definition of "Harmonic Tuning" varies some from one presenter/video to another. 

No , I don't ...but after this video I'll surely do . Very interesting and clearly explained. Thanks for this.

No Problem, glad you liked the video. I should have asked a couple simple question first. Is the barrel clean? Are you using good quality pellets? I would suggest JSB 15.89gr or 18.13 gr. If not, start with these simple changes before trying the harmonic tuning.

Yes , I cleaned the barrel thoroughly ; I use JSB 18,13 gr. Then I shot 10 to 15 pellets through the chrony and find out that speed wes erratic , from 885 Ft/s to809 Ft/s. From "Unclehodge" video on harmonics , I suspect the HST is too high ,and so is the reg pressure at 140 bars, so I'm going to follow the procedure explained in this video and correct this problem first.

I have the Crown Continuum which came with the two barrels in .22 The rifle is really accurate on the 380mm barrel at up to 90 yards (which is the length of my home shooting lane.) It is this latest model so it's the mark II with the superior liners in the lightweight sytem. Shootin NSA slugs I have to use the 700mm bbl to get to velocity I need . The system shoots as well as I can clamped in a caldwell turret system.

I'm afraid there's a bit or gimmickry going on with FX and their liners. I called fx usa support and talked to a "tech" about shooting slugs. (still learning) He recommended I buy the superior heavy liner for slugs. When it arrived I checked it's bore dimension, outside dimension and weight. All three were the same as the supplied superior liner. Come to find out the twist rate is the only thing different and, but the way, it it still a choked barrel!

I don't know too much about barrel design but am learning that fx may have made the the right move in the very beginning with the smooth twist barrels for pellets since they are inherently stable but benefit by a bit of twist just to help early stabilization as they leave the barrel. 

So.....in my opinion I think fx have learned that accessories SELL!!!! and folks are always willing to tweak and improve to soup it up a little. No offense fx....I know it's business:)

Well , today I adjusted the FX Crown power wheel as explained in the video , but I discovered also that the screw retaining the slider to the hammer was almost completely loose , so I screwed it in . Don't know it this was the point , but now the gun shoots at 880 Ft/s , with a spread around 6 Ft/s .

The grouping is now quite good , about 1/2" CTC at 55 yards.

I'm afraid there's a bit or gimmickry going on with FX and their liners. I called fx usa support and talked to a "tech" about shooting slugs. (still learning) He recommended I buy the superior heavy liner for slugs. When it arrived I checked it's bore dimension, outside dimension and weight. All three were the same as the supplied superior liner. Come to find out the twist rate is the only thing different and, but the way, it it still a choked barrel!

I don't know too much about barrel design but am learning that fx may have made the the right move in the very beginning with the smooth twist barrels for pellets since they are inherently stable but benefit by a bit of twist just to help early stabilization as they leave the barrel. 

So.....in my opinion I think fx have learned that accessories SELL!!!! and folks are always willing to tweak and improve to soup it up a little. No offense fx....I know it's business:)

The heavy liner is faster twist to stabilize longer heavier slugs (that's what that definition means)...the standard superior is for pellets and light weight slugs like the hybrids! 

Not a gimmick but physics!!! Lol

James from Michigan