• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX STX Superior Heavy Liner Vs FX STX Superior Liner

I'd like to get another 25 cal FX STX Superior Liner or the FX STX Superior Heavy Liner

I only shoot JSB's 33.95's in my Crown's and wonder if the newer FX STX Superior Heavy Liner would do better then the FX STX Superior Liner in accuracy ?

I realize the Heavy is for slugs but if it has more twist would that equate to accuracy for pellets also ?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.15.08 AM.1651166166.jpg

In principle, you want the slowest twist rate that will stabilize your projectile. Increased spin drift and wind drift is one reason. The other is that faster twist rates can amplify projectile imperfections and asymmetry (flyers, spiraling, etc). The projectile stability factor increases downrange as spin rate stays relatively constant, but horizontal velocity keeps dropping, so its not like you need a faster twist rate just to shoot farther. Essentially the 'twist rate' gets faster as the projectile travels downrange.

The superior standard barrels will shoot slugs, so long as the weight is a good fit for the twist rate. FX lists a max slug weight for each of their superior standard barrels, which is a basic guideline. It isn't a hard cutoff at those values listed, but a grey area.

https://www.fxairguns-usa.com/fx-superior-stx-liner-twist-rates/

Reactions: HogKiller
In principle, you want the slowest twist rate that will stabilize your projectile. Increased spin drift and wind drift is one reason. The other is that faster twist rates can amplify projectile imperfections and asymmetry (flyers, spiraling, etc). The projectile stability factor increases downrange as spin rate stays relatively constant, but horizontal velocity keeps dropping, so its not like you need a faster twist rate just to shoot farther. Essentially the 'twist rate' gets faster as the projectile travels downrange.

The superior standard barrels will shoot slugs, so long as the weight is a good fit for the twist rate. FX lists a max slug weight for each of their superior standard barrels, which is a basic guideline. It isn't a hard cutoff at those values listed, but a grey area.

https://www.fxairguns-usa.com/fx-superior-stx-liner-twist-rates/

Thanks for the deeper understanding of barrel twist brother !

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 6.07.11 AM.1651237684.jpg

Reviving this old thread, has anyone experienced drift using 34gr and 36gr slugs when using the superior standard liners specifically the .25 calibre.

Reason being with a 50 yd zero, the 34gr/36gr slugs seem to be drifting 1" or slightly more at 100yds in zero wind conditions, the gun has a bubble to prevent canting also.

Would a Heavy superior assist with this or just amplify the issue, could liner indexing help, or again not the cause ?

Reviving this old thread, has anyone experienced drift using 34gr and 36gr slugs when using the superior standard liners specifically the .25 calibre.

Reason being with a 50 yd zero, the 34gr/36gr slugs seem to be drifting 1" or slightly more at 100yds in zero wind conditions, the gun has a bubble to prevent canting also.

Would a Heavy superior assist with this or just amplify the issue, could liner indexing help, or again not the cause ?

You might want to index your barrel . There's some good information out there on it. All barrels have some curve , I've heard , you want the curve shoot up , and not to the side. In layman's terms. My Fx barrel has a black line on the muzzle from the factory that goes in at the 12 o'clock position. Might help.