• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Streamline .22 or .25cal?

"Have you shot any squirrels with it yet?"

No, I haven't but I live up next to a woods with lots of them. I wouldn't have any qualms with shooting them if they were trying to gnaw into my house or if I wanted to go to the trouble of cleaning and eating them. But I'm not comfortable using them (or any bird or animal) for target practice and letting them go to waste. I have a Leupold 3-9×33 on it which is a great scope and ideal for hunting.

The .25 [12.9"@100yards]will shoot flatter than the .22[13.5"@100yards] if both leave the barrel at the same speed. The 25 is less affected by wind, true but not by much. Like chair gun says @100 yards, 5mph wind the 22 moves 6.9" and the 25 moves 6.3". I would get a impact if it is in the budget, .177 barrel for a indoor bird remover and general plinking. Then a .30 barrel for long rang shooting and hunting.

No good answer to that question if you get the .22 there will be times you wish you had
the .25 I have the .25 in walnut and sometimes I wish I had the .22 cuz the ammo
is cheaper and shot count higher. But I'm getting 35 shots at 45 fpe on power 3 and
then on power 2 I'm down to what a lot of .22 guns get. Power level 1 you could shoot
in your basement in the winter. Either way you go you have options. One nice thing with
mine is I zero my scope at 50 yards on high power and I can drop the power down to
2 and shoot at 25 yards and the zero on the scope is the same. You can't go wrong with
either one. Have fun

Reactions: Airgun_N00B
@Tiptop Yeah, gotcha. We have a ton of squirrels here as well, but they don't cause trouble, so I don't shoot at them. Fun to watch them jump around through the scope though. 

@Kayakairgun Interesting. I watched a video on .22 vs .25, and as you said, the .25 has a flatter trajectory at the same speed, but in his video, at 100 yards, the wind difference was like 4". He didn't shoot the guns at the same time though, so wind may have died down for the .25 cal test, but he said it didn't feel any slower, and the test was repeated at 50 yards, so I don't know. Of course, he had 15-20 mph winds too, so that's probably where the difference is.

@Westwind Yeah, that's a great point. On the bright side, constant refilling, probably keeps you from wasting too many shots :p Do you wish you had a .22 more than 50% of the time though? 

Anyhow, now I'm leaning more towards .25 cal, since most of the pests here in North Florida are raccoon size or bigger (raccoons, opossums, boar, coyotes, foxes [I think?]), and a .25 cal would have a big advantage over such critters. 
As far as plinking, I still have my Hatsan 125 which is a fun plinking gun, and I can always get a cheaper PCP in 22 later (Marauder, or that new Umarex), and use it for closer ranges. 

Also, @Westwind how do you like that walnut stock? Do you think it's worth the extra $150 over synthetic (I know the question varies based on budget, but do you regret getting it)?

So I'm a hand pumper with a 22 and a 25. The 22 is a bobcat and the 25 is a cricket. I love my Cricket it is pellet it on pellet and I can do 225 yards and get a 6-inch grouping. I love it for hunting. My bobcat in 22 can do 75 yards with a 3-inch group. I love the 25 more but I don't like hand pumping it. I find myself shooting the Bobcat more often for target shooting. But even when I'm hunting rats I pull out the 25 and do it at longer distances. So my thing is 22 for paper 25 for hunting.

I like wood over plastic so yes I think it's worth it but that's me but the wood
is kinda plain I would like to hold a laminate and see if I like it. I I always want
what I don't have but I do not regret having the .25 my shooting needs have
changed over the years so the .25 is a better fit now. I have a .177 & .22 
mrods for plinking but the Streamline is my go to gun.

@yeagger Wow, that Cricket is impressive, but 3" at 75 seems pretty awful for a bobcat... Is something wrong with it? Ted's did a lot better in his tests, but it was a 25 cal, so... But the FX Streamline is just over an inch at 100yds in 22. If I go with .25 for the streamline, I'll definitely look into another pcp for .22. The AA TDR-410 could actually be a fun choice, since it's so light, and easy to transport. 

@Westwind Yeah, laminate does look pretty nice. .25 cal honestly just seems like a better gun at this point to be honest. Especially long range, and since the FX guns do so well long range, might as well make the most of it. 

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate the help :)

12 fpe is plenty of power. really if your placing your shot in a kill zone.. head or heart and lung. 12 fpe is plenty . take a look at the brits... most of those rigs are under 10 fpe... thats there limit. for most and they take dove pigions crow and rabbits no problem lots of people love HAWKE SCOPES i was crazy about getting one..IMO ATHLON IS BETTER PAT

I'll put my vote in for the laminate. Unfortunately it's a more expensive option now than it was when the SL was first out. But it really adds a quality feel and look to the gun and adds a little needed weight to the .177 or .22 cal version, IMO. The .25 is heavier so maybe the added weight wouldn't be necessary. My second choice would be walnut.

Definitely a beautiful gun. Might be able to find a used or refurb on www.airguns.net for cheaper, but I doubt it. I wonder if anyone does custom stocks for these. I hear the comb is pretty low, and since you have to high scope rings, it's hard to get a good cheek mount. I thought maybe you could cutout the comb, and put some bars in there, but I think it'd weaken the stock too much. Although, might not matter on the laminate. But if someone like Bwalton made stocks for these for like $400 I think it'd be a heck of a value (I'm fairly certain that's what he charges for his mrod and at-44 stocks), so it wouldn't be worth paying the extra for a stock you aren't going to use. I'll have to DM him, and see if he's made, or would be willing to make a stock for a streamline.

I have both a .25 and .22 Streamline. If I could only have one, it would be the .22. The low power setting is awesome with an insane shot count for basement shooting. .22 is definitely a better choice for hand pumping. With a moderator it's super quiet as well and still a reasonable length. .25 is a bit more specialized for hunting or longer range shooting. The .22 makes a fine small game hunting gun as well. If you really want a long range gun, I think your $1000 would be better spent on a powder burner anyway.

Well, I live in an open area, but it's flat, and while there are houses around, they're quite a distance away. I'm not comfortable using a powderburner here, but an air rifle doesn't shoot far enough to cause damage at 300, 400, 500 yards. And besides, I'm 16, and uninterested in getting a license and all that crap for powderburners.
I do want to shoot at a medium range (50-100 yds), but yeah. Right now, I see more advantages in the .25, but the .22 does have the better shot count and such. But, as I said before, I have a Hatsan 125 .22 for plinking, if I just want to poke holes in paper at 30 yds. 

@tiptop Yeah, but you also have a scope with the turrets pretty far back. Most 30mm scopes don't have that advantage. Speaking of which, the FX No Limit scope mounts look pretty sweet.

@Tomiboy That's good to know. But length really doesn't bother me. I run through our woods with my 10lbs 48" hatsan, and don't have a problem with it at all. Our woods aren't very thick either to be honest. On the bright side, if the length ever does become a problem, I can always take off the ldc, and be on my merry way. Unfortunately, I can't find any weihrauch ldc's that ship to the US. So Sumo looks like the next best thing (I say next best, because even though it's slightly quieter, it's triple the price... not sure if it's got triple the value though, since the difference would only be 1-2db as far as I've seen)