Fx stock hollow moderator (supplied by pyramyd air) vs. FX donny fl upgrade

It's strange. That hollow "can" from FX...sometimes it works, sometimes, it makes no / very little difference.

I tried it in it's full length on a couple of guns, with little sound damping. But then I put a "two segment", of it onto the end of my Cricket II Bullpup, and it made a sizable difference, without adding too much length.

You'll never know until you give it a try.

Mike

Factory one is better

Untitled.1644135715.png

Factory one is better

I agree...Even better when you print them with PETG with a .8 nozzle in vase mode. Make the model solid first and put a 2mm tall hole in for the floor 1.6mm smaller than the part diameter of course, otherwise vase mode won't work right. This prints way faster and makes a stronger part. I like the cone part steeper for added strength.

FX also has extensions in 25mm and 75mm to tune for the best sound reduction. You have to scrape the sharp edge off the aluminum tube before you can insert baffles. This setup is way quieter than anything else. On my .30 impact with two 75mm center sections and 7 baffles it was about half the sound from a DFL Ronin.

You have to call FX USA and ask for them (don't take no for an answer, be nice and persistent). Johan Axelsson sent me a bunch of extensions a couple of years ago.

fx no sale -.1644160810.jpg
FX Single Moderator -.1644161180.jpg

I use a series of printed cone baffles, like heavy-impact has shown... A 25mm extension 😉, and a cage with felt in the end. Easily the quietest mod I have. I've broken a number, so I've printed some thicker/stronger ones. I have some other VERY quiet mods. This one is better. I try to always utilize felt at the end of any mod. It always dulls any sharpness of the report. 

I try to always utilize felt at the end of any mod. It always dulls any sharpness of the report.

I've never used felt but running two 75mm center sections with 7 baffles slows the air so much that it sounds like you're hearing it at half speed or similar to a blowgun.

I'm working on a 40mm carbon fiber shroud with integrated suppressor for my Vulcan 3 right now but the electronic lead screw I build for my lathe won't boot so I've got to figure that out first.

38mm vase mode baffle on the left for the Vulcan 3 and my old style FX baffle on the right.

New Baffles - Copy.1644169951.jpg

I have a follow up question....if the "simple" inserted "cone baffles" work (to further quiet the report) on the stock FX hollow moderator, why wouldn't FX offer them as an "option" or accessory instead of suggesting we or the stocking dealer pay for a donny fl. upgrade. It seems the cone accessory would be cheaper and easier for everyone involved. Or conversely, are we now getting into barrel harmonics and that whole tuning discussion?

I have a follow up question....if the "simple" inserted "cone baffles" work (to further quiet the report) on the stock FX hollow moderator, why wouldn't FX offer them as an "option" or accessory instead of suggesting we or the stocking dealer pay for a donny fl. upgrade. It seems the cone accessory would be cheaper and easier for everyone involved. Or conversely, are we now getting into barrel harmonics and that whole tuning discussion?

FX is in business to make money so they try to jump on trends. DonnyFL was super popular before we dropped the 3D baffle mod and still is so FX made a deal with Donny to supply a moderator option, Good for Donny, good for FX and customer is happy because he only paid $50 for for what used to cost $100 (I don't know the real numbers). Same with magazines. The FX can comes with the gun so FX doesn't make extra money on that. Even though the baffled FX can is far superior IMO, Donny probably sells 1000 of his for every guy that prints baffles for the FX can.

@Long_Gun_Dallas & @heavy-impct: ssshhhhhhh……🤫🤫🤫 don’t tell everyone our secrets!!! 🤣🤣🤣

On high power the empty can with cone baffles are stellar especially with extra length added. Two 75mm sections seems to be the magic length, I went even longer and it didn’t really do much. Also try a larger first expansion chamber about 60-70mm and then 40-50mm finally expansion chamber. I found with only 3-5 baffles in the middle and expansion chambers both ends in certain configurations is quieter than baffles end to end. I also add mesh and aquarium filter pads to the expansion chambers which lower the tone noticeably. In this configuration it’s really quite even with just one 75mm and one extra 25mm section plus caps.

for low power shootings that I do I just use fully 3D printed moderators with same dual expansion chambers and 3 baffles in the middle and they are quieter than my farts……granted that might NOT be a good reference. 😆

Heavy Impact turned me on to his invention with the dual middle sections mated together and his 7 cone baffles. I followed his instructions to the tee, even bought a chamfering tool to cut that inner lip off he was describing. To this day it’s all I use for moderation, except on my wildcat with the 600 barrel and extended air tube. I’ve had to go with the Hugget Snipe and the FX cans and snipes are now my go to.

I recently discovered though on my 30 impact that’s usually in the high 900’s to a 1000 for speed, I had harmonics issues when I dropped the speed down to 880. I was seeing too many fliers, like one every three shots. I couldn’t figure it out, till I decided to pull the fx can set up off snd install a snipe. Then all shots remained steady, no more fliers. 

when I decide to ramp up the power back again I will for sure reinstall the heavy impact moderator.