FX Slug liner and shooting pellets

I'll keep this short... 

I have been doing a lot of testing with slugs in my new FX 600mm .25 caliber slug liner over the past few weeks. It has been a long, exhausting process and I'm still not even close to being finished testing all of the slugs I have at all of the velocities necessary. So today while my sons and I were shooting I decided to just shoot some pellets for fun with my boys. I already know that this slug liner will shoot the JSB 33.95 MKII's way better than the standard STX barrel that came with my gun. I'm talking phenomenal groups, .265"-.305" ten shot groups at 40yds. When I say one hole, I'm talking one hole with just a small part of a second hole starting to show here and there.

So, today I decided to get out some of the H&N pellets that never shot that well out of the original STX liner that came with the gun. I had some H&N FTT, Barracudas and Barracuda Hunters to try out. What do you know... the H&N 27.47gr. Barracuda Hunters were the best of the non JSB's, shot at a whopping 977-980fps and averaged .400"-.430" groups. Not a super group size compared to the JSB MKII's but pretty darn good for a 27.47gr pellet sizzling down range at almost 980fps. Most pellets out of my gun don't do well at over about 960-965fps. I was really surprised at how well all of the H&N pellets shot out of this slug liner when almost none of them shot worth a darn out of the original STX liner that came installed in my Crown. That's a good thing, I'm not knocking FX at all. I love all of my FX guns and am an FX Fan Boy at heart! I just don't understand why they didn't make an STX barrel liner like this in the first place? It shoots the JSB pellets lights out and now I can shoot H&N pellets too if I want to... and all of this out of the slug liner! Who knew? Have a great rest of your weekend!

Stoti

Reactions: 2manyAirGunz
I appreciate all the work you do.

I, too, have the FX slug liner...for my Impact .25 cal pushing 34gr JSB at >980 FPS. 😉

Today, for the first time, I shot H&N Sport Barracuda 30.86gr pellets in my now-neglected FX Royale ----> 46 fpe vs 45 fpe with the lighter JSBs. The accuracy was also better than the JSB 25.4gr and the FX 25.4gr pellets. The rifle has the original smooth twist barrel.

Keep up the good work. We all are beneficiaries of your efforts.

+1

I've been asking about this very thing in .22 but the results weren't good. I thought the slug liner should shoot the larger skirt pellets like barracudas better than the pellet liner.

I heard of good results using VK 22.5gn with the STX pellet liner (.22). Looks like first hand testing is the only way to know.

Congratulations on the tight groups, that recipe is a keeper.

Thanks 2manyairguns!

Heavy, It's been a long drawn out process. I love doing this type of thing but I never expected for the testing to be this long and drawn out and to have such mediocre results. I never expected for the liner to shoot all of these pellets this well either! That was a pleasant surprise for sure. I shot a 5 shot group with the MKII's the other day at 40yds that was .269! I know, that you know, a .25 cal. pellet is .250". That .269" group is the best 5 shot group I've ever shot at 40yds, One hole with a little arc where one of the pellets started to slide off to the side a little bit. If not for that one shot, it literally would have been one hole at like .255" or something crazy. Tomorrow my boys and I are going to the vineyard to shoot eggs out past 100yds, both pellets and slugs. If not for Dale (Varmint Knocker) helping me by making every variation of slug imaginable in different weights, tips and bases, I might have given up by now! I just asked and he made them for me. It really helped narrow down the best base. From there we messed with different weights and then tips to see which combination will work the best. I had to shoot all of these different variations at different velocities too, which sometimes wasn't enough. I know the flat bases are shooting best and I also narrowed down the weights to between about 29-30gr to about 33gr. but that's not as cut and dry either. I've had pretty good luck with the large hollow point and the 2-S shoot well id some slug variations too. We'll see what happens here in the near future. Hopefully I'll have at least 1-2 variations that give some concrete results, over and over again!

Have a great weekend you guys! Stoti

May I ask what reg pressure you guys are running at for your .25 cals?

I just got my 700mm .22 slug liner on Friday and used the morning to dial in the velocity for 30gr piledivers. They shot at an average 870fps with the reg at 148-150 bar. I unfortunately only had 16 piledrivers left when I went to target shooting, so don't really know how well they would do if I kept fine tuning. I got a decent group out of them around .65in at 45yards (all 16 of them). After that, I switched to a tin of H&N Rabit Magnum. OMG were these awful. It started out good with two in one hole then the next shot was 3 in off and the 4th 6in off. The other 5 I shot after were also all over the place. Then I switched to the JSB Monster (25gr) and those performed very well with a group of 0.4in and a velocity of just about 930fps. The JSB Exact also shot very well also at about 930fps.

I have yet to actually purchase real slugs, which is my next endeavor, but I am happy with the results I get with diabolic shaped pellets on the slug liner.

Hi Stoti,

I am trying out the same setup. What fps are you shooting the JSB MK2 at? I am only able to get them up to about 900 fps max. I can shoot the 25.4's at just over 1000 at maxed out settings. At what velocity did the MK2's seem to work best.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Sorry, I just saw this post, I sent you a private message! Stoti

Swiss Army knife , If I follow what you are doing you are shooting pellets using the slug liner? Is there a reason to do that?

I got a impact MK ll a week ago and I’m shooting JSB 34 at 920 . Pretty much one hole at 50 yards. They don’t seem to be real sensitive to a few FPS variation using my pellet liner. I did try the slug liner with the pellets and while I didn’t give it a real fair effort it didn’t seem that there was a point since the pellet liner did so well.

Swiss Army knife , If I follow what you are doing you are shooting pellets using the slug liner? Is there a reason to do that?

I got a impact MK ll a week ago and I’m shooting JSB 34 at 920 . Pretty much one hole at 50 yards. They don’t seem to be real sensitive to a few FPS variation using my pellet liner. I did try the slug liner with the pellets and while I didn’t give it a real fair effort it didn’t seem that there was a point since the pellet liner did so well.

Just as the title says I am doing the same thing as the OP, only I am shooting .22 not .25. I only have one superlight outer housing that is 700mm so I either have the slug liner in it or the pellet liner. Since I was going to do some slug testing I was curious how the slug liner would do shooting pellets. My experience so far is that they not as good as the pellet liner, but I just started to play around with it. One thing that has been bothering me is the fact that my stock regulator fluctuates between 140 and 150bar from shot to shot which obviously results in some really large ES. So not the discussed reg creep as I am setting it at 150 and it hasn't crept past that, but sometimes after a shot the reg pressure stops at around 140 and the chrony confirms that with a FPS that is about 30-40 slower. Then sometimes it goes back to 150.

I had a Royal before, so little in terms of fine tuning and now my Crown Cont. is much more of a challenge. Super fun though to learn and get better at it.

Thanks 2manyairguns!

Heavy, It's been a long drawn out process. I love doing this type of thing but I never expected for the testing to be this long and drawn out and to have such mediocre results. I never expected for the liner to shoot all of these pellets this well either! That was a pleasant surprise for sure. I shot a 5 shot group with the MKII's the other day at 40yds that was .269! I know, that you know, a .25 cal. pellet is .250". That .269" group is the best 5 shot group I've ever shot at 40yds, One hole with a little arc where one of the pellets started to slide off to the side a little bit. If not for that one shot, it literally would have been one hole at like .255" or something crazy. Tomorrow my boys and I are going to the vineyard to shoot eggs out past 100yds, both pellets and slugs. If not for Dale (Varmint Knocker) helping me by making every variation of slug imaginable in different weights, tips and bases, I might have given up by now! I just asked and he made them for me. It really helped narrow down the best base. From there we messed with different weights and then tips to see which combination will work the best. I had to shoot all of these different variations at different velocities too, which sometimes wasn't enough. I know the flat bases are shooting best and I also narrowed down the weights to between about 29-30gr to about 33gr. but that's not as cut and dry either. I've had pretty good luck with the large hollow point and the 2-S shoot well id some slug variations too. We'll see what happens here in the near future. Hopefully I'll have at least 1-2 variations that give some concrete results, over and over again!

Hi, 

I have been reading your post for a month now. It was helpful for new pcp owners like me. With this post, correct me if i am mistaken, it seems the slug liner for fx impact may be used to shoot pellets with no known issues or difference with shooting pellet on a pellet liner. I have an fx impact with the new pellet liner out of the box. But i bought a slug liner to shoot slugs. I have a lot of pellets from jsb in stock and i am hesitant to change my liner to slug because i want to shoot those pellets as well. IN short, i want to shoot both the pellets and slugs at the same time by simply changing the power thru the power wheel instead of changing the barrel kit every time i want to shoot a pellet or slug. 

Thank you.

Thanks 2manyairguns!

Hi, 

I have been reading your post for a month now. It was helpful for new pcp owners like me. With this post, correct me if i am mistaken, it seems the slug liner for fx impact may be used to shoot pellets with no known issues or difference with shooting pellet on a pellet liner. I have an fx impact with the new pellet liner out of the box. But i bought a slug liner to shoot slugs. I have a lot of pellets from jsb in stock and i am hesitant to change my liner to slug because i want to shoot those pellets as well. IN short, i want to shoot both the pellets and slugs at the same time by simply changing the power thru the power wheel instead of changing the barrel kit every time i want to shoot a pellet or slug. 

Thank you.

Just put the slug liner in and leave it. It'll shoot the Heavies just as well maybe better than the pellet liner as Stoti and many more including me have found. That way you can experiment with the slugs very conveniently. May just be a matter of adjusting the scope at that point.

Jking

The mods are about to begin ..huma guage..slug liner...valve and valve housing.

1573356464_11816603455dc783b006fb16.19926998_B9AD5F36-C6CC-46AE-8E80-D780BAD8A277.jpeg

Liners act strange is all I can say, my stx 700mm..25 is shooting the mk2 @ 945 and more accurate than before, sub moa, haven't try slugs just yet

On the other hand, my 0.22 slug liner, 1:18 is terrible on pellets an slugs, but the pellet liner (original) 1:19 shoot slugs pretty good, is weird.

I was wondering the same thing because my .22 pellet liner shoots slugs just about the same as my slug liner.