FX Royals

I believe your level of satisfaction with the Royale at 100 yards will vary directly with the size of your target, and your purpose. Can you hit tin cans and apples at 100 yards with it, yes, not every shot, but enough to be fun. If you are shooting a BR target at 100 yards, your results are going to be poor, as compared to a high power rifle shooting a heavier and higher BC pellet. That's why those rifles were designed, and why they dominate in 100 yard competition. If your expectations are realistic, there is absolutely nothing wrong with plinking at 100 yards with a Royale.

I'm sorry if the performance with yours is not what I experienced with mine. A hundred yard bench gun it is not. Capable of holding 2 inch groups at 100 it is. Yes apples and tin cans and pest birds every time if I've done my part. More than plinking and hoping in my opinion. I believe Ted did a review on one. I think 8 out of ten shotgun hulls at 100. Not a bench gun but very capable. 

I know you speak highly of the Royale.and mine wouldn't shoot like that until I polished the transition part of the bore where it goes from smooth to the twist. Just how there put together. Sometimes there's a small ledge there that leads up quickly and shows up further downrange. Might be worth the effort if your so inclined. 

Nothing to be sorry about. I'm totally satisfied with mine. And yes, with some work 2" groups at 100 yards is feasible. But as I mention earlier, that is not close to competitive against current 100 yard rifles. I prefer to accept the Royale 400 based on its fundamental strengths, and would say the same for other rifles if I were thinking of longer distances.

I believe your level of satisfaction with the Royale at 100 yards will vary directly with the size of your target, and your purpose. Can you hit tin cans and apples at 100 yards with it, yes, not every shot, but enough to be fun. If you are shooting a BR target at 100 yards, your results are going to be poor, as compared to a high power rifle shooting a heavier and higher BC pellet. That's why those rifles were designed, and why they dominate in 100 yard competition. If your expectations are realistic, there is absolutely nothing wrong with plinking at 100 yards with a Royale.

I find this to be very true, particularly as this relates to shooting 100 yard BR.

I shoot 100 yard BR twice weekly with scoring targets, and tried my Royale several times shooting the JSB18’s. Two inch groups possible, but mine didn’t have enough zip to be as accurate as my RAW HP Hm1000X .22 or the RW HP ART barrel .22 at that distance. Nor, was I expecting it to be as accurate for reasons previously mentioned above.

It is my favorite air rifle for reliability, low maintenance, superb accuracy (especially 50yards and under), and 3 power levels. Had the Huntsman Regal XL .22 as well. A real coin toss, as both guns are so close In most categories and high degree of quality and excellence.

The new Revere or HW100 .22 will be my next, but for pesting and primarily 50 yard and less distances, either the Huntsman or Royale are excellent choices.

ROYALE all the way!!! Can't stress it enough. Reason for not hearing much about them is they are virtually TROUBLE FREE! Simple, solid, smooth, incredibly accurate. Sold all my other guns after getting a Royale 500 & Boss (same platforms). They ALWAYS do what I need them to do & they will for you too. Lube & clean every 1500 or so shots & you're done. Freaking awesome guns. Made my longest hunting shots ever a few weeks ago with the Boss, 175 & 178 yards respectively!!

Thank you for all the replies. Just throwing questions out there in this pandemic . I do not hunt, have 4 Diana’s for any pesting and had a thought of 100 competition . Nothing serious , just thinking of heading in that direction some day.

Mitch

Mitch

I just reread your thread and missed seeing your update here, upon reading it again now. 

All solid endorsements for the Royale from many shooters. If you buy a good used Royale or a brand new one, you will be a very happy camper and probably never regret or sell that gun! SPAW ( Ken Hicks ) set me up with mine when I bought it new last year.

But, if you do eventually want to shoot 100 yard BR at a semi-competitive level, I honestly think you need a different platform than the .22 Royale. As mentioned, I have a RAW HM1000x .22 HP, a Daystate Safari .22 HP with ART barrel, and a Royale 400 .22. My Royale is not nearly as accurate for scoring purposes at 100 yards. And, it’s not meant to be either. 

There are several EBR Target Challenges in the BR category, and take a look at the air guns and associated scoring results being posted. You will not see many (or any) .22 Royale’s hanging in there with the higher end HP brands in .22 caliber. That said, if you DO decide to dip your toes into 100 yard BR, these and other informal virtual challenges are a lot of fun. 

PM me if you want to discuss.

Tom