• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Royale 500 .25 or Air Ranger .25?

Are you sure the Air Ranger has a regulator? I called AOA and asked about a regulator for the Air Ranger and they said no, that was about a week or two ago. The Air Ranger uses the Daystate Harper valve system and they claim a regulator is not needed. Here is a post where the Air Ranger regulator was talked about.

http://airgunnation.dev/topic/daystate-air-ranger-regulator/

Mike

The Royale will get at least 60 shots per fill unregulated. Also it's a 220 bar fill where the Ranger is 250 I believe. So the Royale is doing much better with air conservation. The Royale has a 600 mm barrel, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be more accurate. I have a Royale 200 and a Boss and I am very happy with the accuracy of both. Especially the Boss. Last thing is that the Royale has power wheel. So if you want to do some shooting at medium power, you'd get 90 shots per fill and 120 shots on low power. Some folks don't care for that feature, but in the winter, I'm shooting my 200 at low power in the basement and get almost 100 shots per fill. Hope this is helpful. 

My only issue with the Royale is it is ten feet long. Well, not really but you get the point.
I still regret getting rid of my 50# .25 Air Ranger. While no bullpup with Hugget it is noticeably shorter than a Royale. But without a regulator it was a air hog and had a wide velocity spread. The Harper Valve is a far cry from a regulator. Maybe it works better at lower power levels but was nothing special in my Huntsman either.
If you could get the Air Ranger with a in bottle reg I'd be all over it. But without a reg Royale all day. IME, even non reg'd FX have a pretty consistent velocity which I won't say for the mechanical Daystates.

Hah, 10 feet long! I know what you mean. I have an FX Boss (which has the exact same dimensions as the Royale 500) and its taken me some time to get used to the length. But now, other rifles look short! I don't hunt, so carrying it around isn't a problem. The Royale line are so very good with air. I'm going to get a regulator for my Royale 200 and that should be sweet in terms of shot count and even better accuracy... which of course is why I eat and breathe!!

I have a regulated Royale 500 , I'm not guaranteeing but I believe I got 70 shots from 220 bar to drop off. Standard deviation is usually about 2 with weighed pellets. I haven't filled much past 200 bar lately and I'm 70 years old and don't remember much about last month. I've never seen a day state but from what I've read they are about same quality and accuracy.

I sold my .25 Air Ranger (50 fpe version), because it was an air hog. Was only getting ~ 40 full power shots despite a 500 cc bottle. The Harper valve Daystates do not come close to giving the efficiency of a regulated gun. My PCP guns (.22 Royale, .25 Gladiator, .25 Bobcat, .25 AZ Rapid, .25 Cricket, .30 Boss, .30 HM1000x) are all regulated, and shoot circles around the Air Ranger in terms of shot count/efficiency. I love the Daystate quality, finish, etc and if they ever decide to sell regulated guns or offer the regulator option, Ill be the first in line to buy!