Tuning FX Royale 400 tuning question

elh0102

Jul 31, 2018
NC
I have a Royale 400 and love it. If I wanted to tune it down to, say the 12 fpe level, I could back off on the power wheel. But, that doesn't change the reg set point, so it seems to me to be a very inefficient way to detune it. Just wondering, has anyone played with tuning down with a lower reg setting and HST, and If so, how does that compare with just playing wIth the power wheel? I'm sure there is an optimum combination of TP setting and reg set point.

Hey elh0102,

That is a great question to have! 

This is very possible, however, it is not recommended to anyone without experience or knowledge of how these older regulators work. You must write down all distances and measurements (made with calipers to the +/- 0.03mm or +/- 0.005 in) on the regulator before changing anything as it is very easy to do it wrong. You will also need to use a testing rig if you would like to verify your set regulator pressure since the Royale 400 bodies do not have a 1/8th BSP port plug like what is found on the Wildcat MKI and MKII. So you will be "shooting in the dark" with your regulator setting not knowing what BAR you have changed it to. With all that said, we encourage you and any others thinking of doing this, to call in to your local distributor (that being FX USA if you are in the United States) and talk to a technician about the details of this change if you wish to proceed.

Alternatively you can try to turn down the hammer adjuster until desired speeds are reached. If this is not practical with your rifle setup, then we would suggest to leave the regulator alone, order a brass transfer port for your rifle, and turn the transfer port opposite the existing hole and drill a new transfer port hole that is 80% smaller than the standard hole size. If you step up the transfer port size a little at a time by using slightly larger and larger drill bits, you can tune the desired speed with the nozzle effect created by the undersized transfer port hole.

If any further explanation is needed please call in to your local distributor and inquire about these details. 

Thank you,

FX Airguns USA Tech Dept.

Hey elh0102,

We just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into and to let you know that there is more than one way to do this.

The optimal way to do this procedure is as Glem has suggested, using the REG and HST. However, you need to be prepared to possibly mess up your regulator in the process if you do it wrong. We only mean to provide you with options and alternatives we know to work in case you have no experience disassembling the old regulators, and do not want to have someone else tune it for you. Its up to you to decide how much work you wish to do.

For further detail please call in and speak to a technician.

Thank you,

FX Airguns USA Tech Dept.