• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Royale 400/500, Bobcat, or Gladiator?

Over the past few weeks I've been thinking and thinking about all the air rifles I own, and as such I realized maybe my next purchase shouldn't be a .177 like I'd intended. So I thought maybe I should finally cough up the cash and get something with a power adjustment that's light weight and gets a fair shot count?

So can some folks help me out by giving me some info for the .22 FX rifles with the power wheel? What's the lowest and highest settings produce for FPE? What kinds of shot counts should I expect out of the regulated versions?

My FX-400 on the high power setting shoots the JSB 18 gr at 880 fps with 20 fps ES for 60 shots between 180 and 140 BAR. On medium power with. The JSB 15.9 gr pellet I obtain 150 shots at 710 fps with the same ES between 200 and 140 BAR. On the low power setting one obtains ca 175 shots with either the 13 or 16 gr JSB at 590 or 560 fps. My gun is not regulated.

The shot count on the FX rifles, especially with the Royale action is just amazing. I'm getting similar numbers as Tony with my FX 200. Mines regulated so I'm getting a few more shots per 100cc of air. You mentioned light weight. The Royale 200 and 400 are about 6.5 pounds. The Bobcat is 7.7 in .22 and 8.3 in .25. The Royale 500 is 7.4 - 7.7 pounds whether is synthetic or wood. The 500 is .25 caliber only. So the 200/400 is definitely lighter.
Unless you need the power of the .25 for hunting or really long range shooting, the Royale 200 or 400 in .22 is a very versatile rifle. You can use the medium power level for field target and keep it at under 20 FPE. You can plink on the low power forever before you need to refill, and on high power, you can get 35 FPE and MOA at 50 yards and near MOA at 100 yards from the bench. Enjoy the search and decision!

Also something to look into is that both of my Royale's have 3 different power setting on the adjustment wheel. The Bobcat MKII that I had only had 2 power settings. I'm not sure if the Bobcat had High/Low power or High/Medium power, but it was definitely only two settings. I just always shoot on high power so I don't have much experience with the other settings.

It sounds like a 400 or bobcat in .22 is good for my needs. I don't expect to shoot beyond 70 to 75yrs with it, plus I have a .25 marauder and .30 bt65 for when I need longer range power, and a .45 texan if I absolutely have to have the power.

Basically it's going to pull duty as a plinker, urban pest control, and 50yds and under small game/varmint hunting.

I own a .25 regulated Fx gladiator mk2 and I got 125 to 130 shot per fill at full power (45ft/lbs) and around 250 - 260 shots per fill at low power (22ft/lbs). There is only 2 power level on the .25 version.

This gun is very accurate. I shoot only 110 yards and achieve sub moa group most of the time with the right pellets. I am still testing different pellets to find the best one.

Hope it helps