• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Royale 400 .177

Not sure if everyone knows this, I obviously didn't, but do not waste your money buying a FX airgun in .177. I currently own the FX 400 in .22 and love it. I have had it for over 3 years and have had no issues with it. I enjoy the fact that it gets lots of shots and is light. So when I needed a rifle that could replace my AA S410, it was too heavy and power adjuster is not repeatable, I said, well that FX shoots lights out, so just get the one in .177. With the reg and new bottle it gets over 200 shots on low and 140 on high. Well that was almost 6 months ago. It is worse than a springer. It was so bad that I sent it to FX to have them replace the barrel. Which by the way, FX in the states are the WORST people to deal with. It was much better when AoA was the factory representative. I literally had to call them 2 or 3 times a week to stay on top of getting the airgun fixed. Johnathan is useless. He spoke to me once, assured me he would take care of the issue, and even when I left specific messages for him to call me - forget it. Ernest was not much better. From not knowing the replacement barrel was in, to telling me there was nothing more FX could do, it has been a disaster. I am talking about a gun that costs almost $2,000.00 and it couldn't hold a 1 inch group at 30yds! I tried over 15 different pellets, JSB, AA, Crosman, H&N, Beeman, and RWS. FX said they use the 8.4 JSB which couldn't hold 1.5 inches. When I went back to Ernest and told him, hey this thing still shoots bad, he stated: "FX said its shooting to spec". I followed up with really, I didn't see those specs anywhere, what exactly are those specs? His reply...."Don't know but what's they said". So, my question to FX is simply, why the hell are you selling a gun you cannot make? NO one, NO shop should sell anyone a FX airgun in .177. They suck. How can you possibly say you make the best in quality and send out such a shoddy product. The Chinese springer guns shoot better than this crap. The good news is that I purchased this thru AoA and they are standing behind the sale! (Unlike FX) They will let me return it and replace it with a different model. So they deserve all the business anyone can send them. I have worked with them for the last five years and anytime there is an issue they always take of their customer. Thank you AoA. 

It's not just .177s! 
fx has the worst QC for "HIGH END" air rifles. I keep hearing more and more bad things lol
It bet it's frustrating being told 1in groups are up to spec. That alone sounds like bull and the fact that the employee's didnt seem to concerned. 
ernest knows his stuff when it comes to working on things but I think he's in over his head. He went from working on his own on his own time. Now he's got a TON more work and it's on company time now. Now he works there the Fx QC problems won't be a "real" problem to him. But the dude knows alot and can make anything shoot. 
sucks to hear the horrible experience with fx 

"shutik"You don't hear these stories about Daystate or RAW. Get your act together FX and spend some money on quality control instead of marketing.

Actually, I've had a similar experience with both Daystate and RAW. Both guns ended up going back. That's not to say I think they make crappy guns, I just think I was unfortunate enough to get the "one off" from each of those companies. 

As for the RAW, my experience with Martin was great, he was a true gentleman, although at the end of the day when I explained to him I suspected clipping problems and mailed him the action and shroud back for testing, he shot the gun without the shroud and told me it was working fine and sent it back. Afterwards when I still had issues and called him he told me he didn't see the individually wrapped shroud in the shipping package and so didn't know to test it. Then the fill valve blew out on it and I was so discouraged I just returned it to the distributor (not Martin) who ended up being a real horses ass.

The first Wolverine I got wouldn't even shoot out of the box. Couldn't even "cock" the gun so I never got to fire it. AOA, who are my go to and have always been awesome to deal with sent a replacement. The replacement was throwing pellets all over the place. After trying every pellet and accuracy cure in the world, you can imagine my surprise when I finally noticed lead shavings all over the breach block from where the pellets were being torn up as they were pushed into the barrel from the bolt probe. Not one, but two malfunctioning Daystates in a row. 

As pissy as I was at the time (I truly feel your pain OP) I'm still going to order a Wolverine R type when they're available because I know that my one experience isn't a fair measure of the dependability of the brand. I'm actually really excited to try one again because the odds just have to be in my favor, right? haha

Also, I think FX as a manufacturer sells far more guns than any other manufacturer, at least in the last few years anyway. I don't know of any other company where there is constantly a waiting list to get one of their guns. That being said, it stands to reason, if, lets say for the sake of argument that FX sells 50% of the PCP's in the country, (I'm just making that number up to illustrate a point) you're going to hear more stories of issues simply because there are a lot more of them out there. 

I bet if you tried another .177 Royale, chances are you'd get a real shooter and would be pleased as punch. 

My .02 cents anyway. Either way, keep your chin up and try to take comfort in knowing these are just first world problems and not something more serious. And good luck with whatever you end up choosing!!

Regards,
Cliff

"airgun_hack"Not sure if everyone knows this, I obviously didn't, but do not waste your money buying a FX airgun in .177. I currently own the FX 400 in .22 and love it. I have had it for over 3 years and have had no issues with it. I enjoy the fact that it gets lots of shots and is light. So when I needed a rifle that could replace my AA S410, it was too heavy and power adjuster is not repeatable, I said, well that FX shoots lights out, so just get the one in .177. With the reg and new bottle it gets over 200 shots on low and 140 on high. Well that was almost 6 months ago. It is worse than a springer. It was so bad that I sent it to FX to have them replace the barrel. Which by the way, FX in the states are the WORST people to deal with. It was much better when AoA was the factory representative. I literally had to call them 2 or 3 times a week to stay on top of getting the airgun fixed. Johnathan is useless. He spoke to me once, assured me he would take care of the issue, and even when I left specific messages for him to call me - forget it. Ernest was not much better. From not knowing the replacement barrel was in, to telling me there was nothing more FX could do, it has been a disaster. I am talking about a gun that costs almost $2,000.00 and it couldn't hold a 1 inch group at 30yds! I tried over 15 different pellets, JSB, AA, Crosman, H&N, Beeman, and RWS. FX said they use the 8.4 JSB which couldn't hold 1.5 inches. When I went back to Ernest and told him, hey this thing still shoots bad, he stated: "FX said its shooting to spec". I followed up with really, I didn't see those specs anywhere, what exactly are those specs? His reply...."Don't know but what's they said". So, my question to FX is simply, why the hell are you selling a gun you cannot make? NO one, NO shop should sell anyone a FX airgun in .177. They suck. How can you possibly say you make the best in quality and send out such a shoddy product. The Chinese springer guns shoot better than this crap. The good news is that I purchased this thru AoA and they are standing behind the sale! (Unlike FX) They will let me return it and replace it with a different model. So they deserve all the business anyone can send them. I have worked with them for the last five years and anytime there is an issue they always take of their customer. Thank you AoA. 

From everything I know, or have seen posted about Ernst I find this VERY HARD to believe............especially coming from a poster who just registered here today and their very FIRST post is a bashing of FX. Kinda makes ya go "Hmmmmmmmm".

I'd like to hear the OTHER side of this story before making judgement.

Reactions: DeadEyeDill
"BigTinBoat"
"airgun_hack"Not sure if everyone knows this, I obviously didn't, but do not waste your money buying a FX airgun in .177. I currently own the FX 400 in .22 and love it. I have had it for over 3 years and have had no issues with it. I enjoy the fact that it gets lots of shots and is light. So when I needed a rifle that could replace my AA S410, it was too heavy and power adjuster is not repeatable, I said, well that FX shoots lights out, so just get the one in .177. With the reg and new bottle it gets over 200 shots on low and 140 on high. Well that was almost 6 months ago. It is worse than a springer. It was so bad that I sent it to FX to have them replace the barrel. Which by the way, FX in the states are the WORST people to deal with. It was much better when AoA was the factory representative. I literally had to call them 2 or 3 times a week to stay on top of getting the airgun fixed. Johnathan is useless. He spoke to me once, assured me he would take care of the issue, and even when I left specific messages for him to call me - forget it. Ernest was not much better. From not knowing the replacement barrel was in, to telling me there was nothing more FX could do, it has been a disaster. I am talking about a gun that costs almost $2,000.00 and it couldn't hold a 1 inch group at 30yds! I tried over 15 different pellets, JSB, AA, Crosman, H&N, Beeman, and RWS. FX said they use the 8.4 JSB which couldn't hold 1.5 inches. When I went back to Ernest and told him, hey this thing still shoots bad, he stated: "FX said its shooting to spec". I followed up with really, I didn't see those specs anywhere, what exactly are those specs? His reply...."Don't know but what's they said". So, my question to FX is simply, why the hell are you selling a gun you cannot make? NO one, NO shop should sell anyone a FX airgun in .177. They suck. How can you possibly say you make the best in quality and send out such a shoddy product. The Chinese springer guns shoot better than this crap. The good news is that I purchased this thru AoA and they are standing behind the sale! (Unlike FX) They will let me return it and replace it with a different model. So they deserve all the business anyone can send them. I have worked with them for the last five years and anytime there is an issue they always take of their customer. Thank you AoA. 

From everything I know, or have seen posted about Ernst I find this VERY HARD to believe............especially coming from a poster who just registered here today and their very FIRST post is a bashing of FX. Kinda makes ya go "Hmmmmmmmm".
I'd like to hear the OTHER side of this story before making judgement.
Very good points BigTin, there are always two sides to every story. Being in the customer service industry I had much the same thoughts when I first read the OP. I'm not saying for sure that it's the case here but some customers rants are shockingly far from what is actually happening. I've personally worked with Ernest in the past and he is a gentleman through and through.

I would be more than happy to post all the texts that I have from Ernst. The ones with the quotes are from his direct texts. I spoke to him personally multiple times and asked him what FX would or could do to make this a shooter. He said there was nothing else. I had to force him to say he would call the FX factory to see if they could send another barrel that has been tested or a rifled barrel like they had before they developed the smooth twist. "I can try" They were not interested in taking care of the customer. For me to even get a call, I had to have AoA call them directly, give them my name and number so that they would actually call about this gun. Ernst let me know on the first call how busy he was since all the factory work was now going to them. First time poster because I just wanted to save someone else from experiencing what I have. Please note, as stated in my post, I love my .22 and I helped persuade my son in law to get the Impact....in .22. I am not dissing FX on the guns they make .22 and over. I am simply letting others know that they suck in a .177. 

I can only go by my experience with my fx rifles,(bobcat and impact)they shoot like lasers. Could there be a lemon in the batch? its possible i guess but hard to believe two barrels would be bad. They do have a guarantee and im sure Ernest would fix any problem with it as he is a master tuner thats why he runs fx USA . The picture is like a 10shot group at 45yrds
b15390c22b8413e46cbebd7e0e28cfbf.jpg

"BigTinBoat"I have to say that my experience with .177 FX is totally opposite. I just picked up a .177 Wildcat and of the 9 pellets I tried at 25yds. ALL but 3 were under an inch.
AA 10.3, JSB 10.3 and 13.4 were all single hole for 8 shots.
So the OP in this thread would be reasonable to assume that he too should experience a very similar degree of accuracy from his FX .177......
At these airgun prices and as a repeat FX customer with a problem real or imagined, FX needs to satisfy the customer or return his money...
We all would expect that any gun in the $1700-2000 price range to shoot exceptional tight groups with at least one specific pellet....and at these prices there should be zero lemons.

I know some people swear by FX rifles but I hear more problems on these forums about FX rifles than any other brand. Perhaps it's just a numbers game and they sell alot of rifles so you hear about there problems. Personally I think there's a reason why they went out and hired Ernest Rowe. It's one brand I've never had the urge to buy because of the stories I hear.If I'm paying high end dollar on some equipment I certainly want a robust build quality and ease of repair if I have to change a oring.

On the other side of the coin, Im kinda hurt inside by hearing we At Fx are useless.

We gladly accepted the royale .177 accuracy issue and most I love is a challenge. after hours of testing the barrel needed attention it was grouping about 1.5" at 30y, I spend hours in lapping and polishing and spent another hours of testing and got the groups about an 1", Matthew stated he wanted the gun shooting 1/2" groups at 50Y, so there I went spend time to chamfer taper the choke and pellet lap fired the choke with no improvement. Jonathan ordered two barrels from sweden that seen weeks to get and when matthew requested update we in return emailed to sweden for an update till the barrels arrived. when a large shipments of guns and parts arrive the guns have priority for processing so the barrels got overlook and mix in a large lot of barrels with no given name I mean there is at least 1/2 a dozen owners waiting for barrels. I didnt even look or inventoried the barrels when I was ask where's matthews barrels. at least I cleaned both new barrel for 15 minutes then another 30 mins testing each barrel for accuracy not accurate enough so another 30 min in lapping and polishing till one barrels was accurate enough with a grouping that you can cover with a quarter at 30y even had my apprentice to shoot a groups to confirm the accuracy. I showed matthew the groups of that barrel ---

77e552fa5a5ffeb360e782c6af561d65.jpg

he was so happy with the accuracy and wanted it ship right away and weeks later he wasn't satisfied and demanded something done. I told the chain of command the grouping size and stated its not the best or the worst just an average groups at that indoor range at the facility. words got back from sweden that the groups are within spec --- I forwarded the message to matthews and he demanded what spec I respect sweden judgment and no reason to ask why. and that was the last email from Matthews ---- in till now.

With a given time frame when you do your best and it wasn't good enough that's how I feel when I read this post. I tell myself I can do better next time.

"AirGunShooter"
"Kdog"I know some people swear by FX rifles but I hear more problems on these forums about FX rifles than any other brand. Perhaps it's just a numbers game and they sell alot of rifles so you hear about there problems. Personally I think there's a reason why they went out and hired Ernest Rowe. It's one brand I've never had the urge to buy because of the stories I hear.If I'm paying high end dollar on some equipment I certainly want a robust build quality and ease of repair if I have to change a oring.
Keith - The FX rifles we own are VERY easy to work on.
Tom

You would think people would fix them themselves. I'm just not a fan...sorry : (

"10x"
"BigTinBoat"I have to say that my experience with .177 FX is totally opposite. I just picked up a .177 Wildcat and of the 9 pellets I tried at 25yds. ALL but 3 were under an inch.
AA 10.3, JSB 10.3 and 13.4 were all single hole for 8 shots.
So the OP in this thread would be reasonable to assume that he too should experience a very similar degree of accuracy from his FX .177......
At these airgun prices and as a repeat FX customer with a problem real or imagined, FX needs to satisfy the customer or return his money...
We all would expect that any gun in the $1700-2000 price range to shoot exceptional tight groups with at least one specific pellet....and at these prices there should be zero lemons.
Sure, but here is what he said and the reason I posted MY experience

"So, my question to FX is simply, why the hell are you selling a gun you cannot make? NO one, NO shop should sell anyone a FX airgun in .177. They suck. "

What I have experienced is a complete opposite.

And now since we have heard the other side it appears that Ernest did in fact hand work a barrel for him and posted what looks to me to be a single hole group and a single flyer, but the OP was "demanding" 1/2" at 50-yds? with a .177? Not too sure many manufacturers would make that guarantee.

"sniperlabyo"Sorry I forgot to mention the single hole was my target not a flyer.
So the OP is saying this was not "Acceptable"? (with the single hole as the sighting point) at 30yds? Unless the gun was clamped in a vice, that certainly seems acceptable to me. Even in a vice, with the variation of today's pellets, the group size could be attributed to that. Maybe I need to raise my standards?
77e552fa5a5ffeb360e782c6af561d65.jpg

"AirGunShooter"
"DeadEyeDill"It's not just .177s! 
fx has the worst QC for "HIGH END" air rifles. I keep hearing more and more bad things lol
It bet it's frustrating being told 1in groups are up to spec. That alone sounds like bull and the fact that the employee's didnt seem to concerned. 
ernest knows his stuff when it comes to working on things but I think he's in over his head. He went from working on his own on his own time. Now he's got a TON more work and it's on company time now. Now he works there the Fx QC problems won't be a "real" problem to him. But the dude knows alot and can make anything shoot. 
The part about FX being the worst QC for high end air rifles is absolutely not true. Geez, talk about exaggerating!! I own three FX rifles and all 3 function and shoot great. As does my brother's FX rifle. Between the two of us we have over 100, 000 rounds through the 4 rifles, all with no problems. I talk to many people at FT events shooting FX and there may be a problem here or there, but I never hear anyone saying FX has the worse QC.
well I only know one person personally that own an fx and he as well had a lot of problems. Sent back to dealer multiple times.
maybe an exaggeration but from my experience it's not the best 

"DeadEyeDill"
"AirGunShooter"
"DeadEyeDill"It's not just .177s! 
The part about FX being the worst QC for high end air rifles is absolutely not true. Geez, talk about exaggerating!! I own three FX rifles and all 3 function and shoot great. As does my brother's FX rifle. Between the two of us we have over 100, 000 rounds through the 4 rifles, all with no problems. I talk to many people at FT events shooting FX and there may be a problem here or there, but I never hear anyone saying FX has the worse QC.

well I only know one person personally that own an fx and he as well had a lot of problems. Sent back to dealer multiple times.
 maybe an exaggeration but from my experience it's not the best 

Ya think?

So a single person with a single FX gun equals----- "fx has the worst QC for "HIGH END" air rifles. I keep hearing more and more bad things lol"

Oh and did you see Ernest reply and pic of the group? Certainly not 1", and certainly not an "uncaring employee". Sounds to me like Ernest went above and beyond by hand lapping 2 barrels