FX Royale .22 - refinished stock with True Oil

A couple weeks back, the summer was getting hotter and I decided to take on a 'project' with one of my air guns. I wanted to try to refinish the Walnut stock on my FX Royale 400 .22, which was virtually perfect, and there was absolutely no need to do this....I just wanted to try it and see if I liked it.

A friend of mine ( ELH ) had just finished a partial restore of his air gun stock and I got interested in the process. I watched a bunch of "True Oil" stock finishing YouTubes and read through some forums on the approach. I have never ventured into any type of wood re-finishing or restoring before, so I thought I would give it a twirl. Wow, what a lot of work! Between sanding, applying many coats of True Oil, using 0000 Steel wool, etc.....I realized this was a slow process.

However, I could not wait each day to get back out to the garage work bench and sand/apply another coat after 24 hours of drying time. I probably went a bit over board on the finish, but I do have a heavy hand. I read somewhere it is better to apply many very thin/sparing coats of True Oil then to try and glob it on. Anyway, I enjoyed the venture.

Have to say, I made a ton of mistakes along the way, but Ed coached me quite a bit and I hung in there to finish the Royale. Now that I finished one of my guns, I may do this again on one or both of the Anschutz .22 LRs at some point, but maybe not also.

Anyway, here are some pics, and for any of those who have not tried this, I would encourage you to give it a whirl.

Tom

View attachment 370618

View attachment 370620

View attachment 370621

View attachment 370622
Very nice job!

Reactions: tommyb
If you rub each coat of Tru oil dry you won't have problems with dirt and dust.
Minwax Antique oil is very easy to use on Walnut if you want a nice satin "in the wood finish". You can sand it in easily to fill the pores. Then you wipe it completely dry and will have no issues with dirt and dust.

Sirocco stock in Minwax Antique oil. Sanded the stripped wood with 220 then sanded in oil with 320. Easy. Recut the checkers with 3 and 4 corner needle files I heated and bent to a curve on the end like a riffler file. I have checker tools but didn't use them here. View attachment 370988
View attachment 370987
Did you sand in the True Oil while it was still wet?

Im no woodworker.
How does True oil differ, from Polyurethane?
Is True Oil a finish that never really hardens?
Ive used polyurethane before (oak hardwood floors) with great success, and I have always enjoyed the extreme durability and also the gloss or semi-gloss options that polyurethane offeres.
It's a oil based poly that does completely dries. It can be thinned with mineral spirits, paint thinner, or naptha. Tru-oil s pretty thick straight out of the bottle.

Reactions: Airgun Al