FX Royale .22 - refinished stock with True Oil

A couple weeks back, the summer was getting hotter and I decided to take on a 'project' with one of my air guns. I wanted to try to refinish the Walnut stock on my FX Royale 400 .22, which was virtually perfect, and there was absolutely no need to do this....I just wanted to try it and see if I liked it.

A friend of mine ( ELH ) had just finished a partial restore of his air gun stock and I got interested in the process. I watched a bunch of "True Oil" stock finishing YouTubes and read through some forums on the approach. I have never ventured into any type of wood re-finishing or restoring before, so I thought I would give it a twirl. Wow, what a lot of work! Between sanding, applying many coats of True Oil, using 0000 Steel wool, etc.....I realized this was a slow process.

However, I could not wait each day to get back out to the garage work bench and sand/apply another coat after 24 hours of drying time. I probably went a bit over board on the finish, but I do have a heavy hand. I read somewhere it is better to apply many very thin/sparing coats of True Oil then to try and glob it on. Anyway, I enjoyed the venture.

Have to say, I made a ton of mistakes along the way, but Ed coached me quite a bit and I hung in there to finish the Royale. Now that I finished one of my guns, I may do this again on one or both of the Anschutz .22 LRs at some point, but maybe not also.

Anyway, here are some pics, and for any of those who have not tried this, I would encourage you to give it a whirl.

Tom

IMG_9439.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

Looks great! Been threatening to do it with mine for 2 years. Even have all the materials sitting on a shelf but I'm so bad with commitments 🤪 :ROFLMAO:
IMHO you did NOT go overboard. I love the high gloss finish!
For a quick and easy solution, rather than the lengthy strip, sand, and stain, just clean the stock of any oil or dirt from handling and apply a thin coat of Tru-Oil. Wait 24 hrs and coat again.. You might be surprised at the results. If you want it glossier, add more, but only apply it very thinly. It's good stuff.

Reactions: Hy-Score
Congratulations, That came out beautiful.
I've done four so far, the first one many years ago. In fact I ordered the Truoil from a Herters cataloge. That will give some a reference point.
Lol
My latest project is an old Sheridan. I used pieces from the old stock that I have to repair the pump handle, and to my surprise the wood is very light colored. I wound up staining just that peice to get a better match.

The difference between you I so far as I can tell, is I do guns that can't get any worse, and you do beautiful ones.
👍Screenshot_20230707_113238_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tommyb
For a quick and easy solution, rather than the lengthy strip, sand, and stain, just clean the stock of any oil or dirt from handling and apply a thin coat of Tru-Oil. Wait 24 hrs and coat again.. You might be surprised at the results. If you want it glossier, add more, but only apply it very thinly. It's good stuff.
Thanks guys.

Paul - I started out to do just what you suggested. Ie., no sanding, removing old coats, etc.

The problem for me was watching too many Youtube videos, all suggesting the sanding, steel wool, et. al. So, I started sanding a perfectly smooth Walnut Stock. Then, I started reading about pros/cons of using 000/0000 Steel Wool.

I created a ‘monster’ and it was me. 😊😊

Anyway, you’re right. May take the easy way next time, especially if the stock is in good shape.

I will say, I really enjoyed being ‘anal’ and fussy; even though it wasn’t necessary.

One thing I would do differently, apply ‘thinner’ coats.

Reactions: jps2486
Looks great! Been threatening to do it with mine for 2 years. Even have all the materials sitting on a shelf but I'm so bad with commitments 🤪 :ROFLMAO:
IMHO you did NOT go overboard. I love the high gloss finish!

Gerry, give it a whirl. I can’t believe how rewarding this was for me. I have seen your FX guns an$ the stocks look to be pretty nice ‘as is.’ Maybe try Paul’s approach.

Tom

A couple weeks back, the summer was getting hotter and I decided to take on a 'project' with one of my air guns. I wanted to try to refinish the Walnut stock on my FX Royale 400 .22, which was virtually perfect, and there was absolutely no need to do this....I just wanted to try it and see if I liked it.

A friend of mine ( ELH ) had just finished a partial restore of his air gun stock and I got interested in the process. I watched a bunch of "True Oil" stock finishing YouTubes and read through some forums on the approach. I have never ventured into any type of wood re-finishing or restoring before, so I thought I would give it a twirl. Wow, what a lot of work! Between sanding, applying many coats of True Oil, using 0000 Steel wool, etc.....I realized this was a slow process.

However, I could not wait each day to get back out to the garage work bench and sand/apply another coat after 24 hours of drying time. I probably went a bit over board on the finish, but I do have a heavy hand. I read somewhere it is better to apply many very thin/sparing coats of True Oil then to try and glob it on. Anyway, I enjoyed the venture.

Have to say, I made a ton of mistakes along the way, but Ed coached me quite a bit and I hung in there to finish the Royale. Now that I finished one of my guns, I may do this again on one or both of the Anschutz .22 LRs at some point, but maybe not also.

Anyway, here are some pics, and for any of those who have not tried this, I would encourage you to give it a whirl.

Tom

View attachment 370618

View attachment 370620

View attachment 370621

View attachment 370622
Now, you take that masterpiece, and hang it on the wall...right?

Reactions: tommyb
Oil over oil usually works out fine but make sure you're not putting it over urethane. Test with acetone. It won't "gum up" urethane like it does oil.
I have one gun with a real glossy Tru oil finish and it looks good as it really brings out depth in an otherwise plainer piece of walnut. I do wish Birchwood Casey made a semi and satin. Maybe I'll try adding a flatting agent.
If you get a mark on your gun you can sand it out and rub it back in again.

Looks like it turned out awesome. I've used it before; on this pistol stock I re-molded. But in all honesty, I REALLY do not like working with the stuff. I tried using it on another ebony pistol stock as well. Big mistake. The extremely high amount of anti-oxidants in ebony made it so the finish NEVER set up. I mean days went by and it was just not going to happen. I could never keep dirt or dust out of any I did either which is probably my biggest complaint. I even tried setting up a room that had airflow and filters. Nope. Still dirt and dust. Now, I prefer doing danish oil finish. Not as glossy which I actually prefer. And super easy to maintain or touch up (and apply).

A lot of the gloss has come off of this which is perfectly fine by me. Finish is holding up well after several years. Below is also the walnut fx stock I did with danish oil.

DSCF6033_edited.jpg

273852511_10159699537419034_7460996061861378469_n .jpg

Reactions: wijib and tommyb
Now, you take that masterpiece, and hang it on the wall...right?

Ha Ha - no hanging this rifle on the wall for me. It shares equal time with the rest of the guns in the safe. 😀

This is my backyard plinking/pesting gun and gets a lot of use. I also use it for 30 yard target challenges. If it gets some bumps or bruises, I’ll just sand it down and touch it up. Extremely accurate to 40-50 yards, probably due to Smooth Twist barrel mostly. I have it dialed in at 875 FPS with the JSB 18.1 pellet. Hardly ever needs cleaning or maintenance other than o-ring replacements.

Looks like it turned out awesome. I've used it before; on this pistol stock I re-molded. But in all honesty, I REALLY do not like working with the stuff. I tried using it on another ebony pistol stock as well. Big mistake. The extremely high amount of anti-oxidants in ebony made it so the finish NEVER set up. I mean days went by and it was just not going to happen. I could never keep dirt or dust out of any I did either which is probably my biggest complaint. I even tried setting up a room that had airflow and filters. Nope. Still dirt and dust. Now, I prefer doing danish oil finish. Not as glossy which I actually prefer. And super easy to maintain or touch up (and apply).

A lot of the gloss has come off of this which is perfectly fine by me. Finish is holding up well after several years. Below is also the walnut fx stock I did with danish oil.

View attachment 370852
View attachment 370858
If you rub each coat of Tru oil dry you won't have problems with dirt and dust.
Minwax Antique oil is very easy to use on Walnut if you want a nice satin "in the wood finish". You can sand it in easily to fill the pores. Then you wipe it completely dry and will have no issues with dirt and dust.

Sirocco stock in Minwax Antique oil. Sanded the stripped wood with 220 then sanded in oil with 320. Easy. Recut the checkers with 3 and 4 corner needle files I heated and bent to a curve on the end like a riffler file. I have checker tools but didn't use them here.
IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas