FX reveals the "Crown" and the Smooth Twist "X" barrel system!

"CHUCK"That is an excellent question Birdo...I think another question along those lines would be will all future FX rifles have the new barrel system, and also will all past models be able to retrofit the new barrels to use them also?
I'm pleased to see that FX is introducing more models that are ambidextrous. As a lefty, it's more difficult to buy and then sell if needed a true left hand rifle. I like an Ambi stock with a right hand action for the way I shoot. The streamline is definitely an option that meets my needs. I have had Cyclones in the past and they were good and streamline looks like a modernized cyclone.

The problem with the Royale series is they all were right hand only, so I couldn't consider them. I think this Crown is ambi, but with all the adjustments, it won't be my thing to have.

cool vid, thanks for posting. he's of the opinion that airgun companies utilize traditional rifling with little to no research done on barrels with internal characteristics made just for pellet shooting, with the exception of fx. if true, i find that interesting because accuracy is the benchmark by which a rifle is judged so you'd think more companies would invest in pellet-specific barrels. if the fx crown's barrel technology is a success, i expect other companies to follow suit.

"T3PRanch"Twist X Was used in the last EBR contest by at lease one person. UNFORTUNATELY I cannot divulge my source of information BUT it was from someone who would know!

Thurmond
I'd like to offer a caution regarding the speculation the above post will surely generate (and has already):

With apologies and not meaning to insult anyone's integrity or intent, I have learned the hard way not to heed rumors of this type in any arena. In another part of my life I attend THE meetings where the decisions are made and things happen, but what I see reported in the forums afterward is often wildly inaccurate. Especially when confidential sources who "should" know are involved. 

As as far as Ted goes in particular, one would think that IF he used a magic new barrel then both he and FX would be screaming it from the rooftops already. He's been quite open about sponsorships and FX couldn't buy that kind of publicity at any price. 

So back to the caution: When someone raises their hand and says first hand that they used the new barrel, I will be listening. Otherwise, it's just back yard gossip in my book. Again, no offense intended, especially to the poster. That just comes from hard life experiences. 

Reactions: looknup and fe7565
"Tominco"- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EDIT: CROWN UPDATE
It's looking like May/June for USA. 
Tom
yep, just spoke to a guy at AoA about an unrelated subject and wanted to make sure they had my crown deposit on record. he said it was 2 months out at least. so it sounds like it got pushed to the right a little which is not surprising.

I am wondering how many are waiting for a few Crowns to hit the field before purchasing one?

When I was in line to purchase my FX Impact, I added a few months to my waiting after many experienced issues with them. Finally, I could not wait anymore and pulled the trigger on it around Feb 2016. I had no issues with mine so far, but I am hesitant to buy the first batch of Crowns. Not necessarily because I expect bad reviews/experiences...just that most new technologies and designs go through initial growing pains.

@fe7565 - I understand your hesitation and you bring up a good point.
However, if you take away the STX system, the Crown is the Impact re-designed in traditional rifle styling. It's got all the same features as the Impact. I couldn't imagine that FX would not incorporate any improvements it made to the Impact design into the Crown. That gives me confidence that the Crown will perform well out of the box and have much less to worry about. If it were brand new tech, like the Impact was upon its release, then I'd be more hesitant. 
With the crown, the STX is the new piece in the puzzle. IMO, the possibility of having some issue with the barrel is so small I couldn't even fathom what it would be. Even if there was some issue, it would be rectified immediately since that is such an important part of the system. 

My confidence in this rifle is pretty high. 
In fact, I'm actually contemplating changing my Crown order. Instead of buying 1 crown and all calibers of barrels, I'm considering buying 3 Crowns - 1 in each caliber. (Of course, I haven't told my wife this yet.)
Set them all up with Hawke TMX or MTC scopes on adjustable rings and get multiple magazines and single shot trays for all of them. 
But, if I do that it won't be with this first shipment. I want to at least leave SOME of them for you guys to have! ;)

I do hope the rifle will be able to stay assembled if it comes with a custom FX case. That was one of the big improvements they made with the Impact. 
Happy Shooting!
Tom

It looked like the transfer port only had 3 settings. That is actually quite different from the impact. So you have 6 power setting x 3 port settings. 18 power options. Is that how it will work? The port settings might be more of a repeatable and reliable method of adjustment. Could make it easier for comparing settings with other shooters. Velocity might not be quite as critical as with conventional smooth twist so 
18 settings might be fine. I know with my impact all I had to do was move the valve adjuster a bee di..
and My groups would open up. 
Michael