FX Regulators - Problems and Fixes

AirGunShooter - if I were you I would never take those FX guns apart.

Here is what I found with my WC regulator. The difference in OD of the piston and the ID of the belleville washers allows the washers to "slide" between cycles. With the washers not "centered" all the same, the stack length can change. If the measured stack of washers is not the same each time the the pressure is different. Notice in the below pic how I can move the washers. I get a measurement of 6.16mm ID for washers and 5.68mm OD on piston. Then add to this the piston is threaded where the washers ride.
1525816724_2612614365af21d945eabc2.43989531_20180508_161140.jpg

Bigtinboat, you are describing exactly what I went through...every darn time I went to shoot my Wildcat it would be hitting either high or low from where it had shot before. I wrongly, stupidly, and to make it worse stubbornly argued that my Leupold scope at that time was "not holding zero" causing me to rezero every time I sat down to shoot my gun. After sending it back to Leupold several times swearing that it still didn't work right, the supervisor upgraded it to a Leupold 6.5-20x50 Target EFR with a $160.00 custom reticle from their Custom Shop. The supervisor mounted it on his 338 Lapua and swore it was working perfectly before he sent it to me, but when I got it - Bingo! same darn problem as before!

The supervisor patiently and kindly made me understand that the problem was with my Wildcat, not their scope. When I later discovered that the problem was truly caused by my FX factory regulator fluctuating up and down, I felt like such an asshole and called Leupold to apologize and pay for the upgraded scope because it was not their fault...but they wouldn't hear of it. That was the beginning of my personal mission to get Huub to make one of his most excellent regulators for my Wildcat...which also fits in my Streamline by the way. I am just hoping that someday FX breaks down and starts installing Huma regulators in all their rifles at the factory.

Airgunshooter, why don't you send the two Huma regulators in question back to Huma for inspection to be sure if the problem is with the regulators, or possibly your installation of them. E.g. it is very easy when working on the Wildcats to get the transfer port in the feeding pin misaligned and cause the exact problem you're describing.

All the best, Chuck

"BigTinBoat"AirGunShooter - if I were you I would never take those FX guns apart.
Here is what I found with my WC regulator. The difference in OD of the piston and the ID of the belleville washers allows the washers to "slide" between cycles. With the washers not "centered" all the same, the stack length can change. If the measured stack of washers is not the same each time the the pressure is different. Notice in the below pic how I can move the washers. I get a measurement of 6.16mm ID for washers and 5.68mm OD on piston. Then add to this the piston is threaded where the washers ride.
1525816724_2612614365af21d945eabc2.43989531_20180508_161140.jpg
Although I agree it doesn't win the beauty contest, those BV washers are unlikely to cause issues keeping the the very minor movement they make in mind.
We are talking about tenths of mm's of movement here, and I have seen a lot of FX reg'. BV washers which were stacked like this, but they never caused any issues. 
However, I always put them back in line with a Channel Lock (or Knipex in EU :p ) while I'm at it. 
B.t.w, that brass knurled end looks rather marred :-o

Bigtinboat you have hit on the exact problem with FX regulators...there is nothing to keep the stack of Belleville washers straight up and down, and this allows them to slide apart. Another problem is their edges on the cupped side are not ground flat...it would only cost just a few cents more for them to buy the Belleville washers that have the edges ground flat so they make better contact when compressed and relaxed, so as to not slip apart like that. In the Huma regulators the stack of washers cannot get out of place like that because they are contained in a round tunnel that is only just slightly larger than the washers themselves. I learned this from Robert Lane by the way...another of the worlds premier air gun regulator makers.
Chuck

"CHUCK"Bigtinboat, you are describing exactly what I went through...every darn time I went to shoot my Wildcat it would be hitting either high or low from where it had shot before. I wrongly, stupidly, and to make it worse stubbornly argued that my Leupold scope at that time was "not holding zero" causing me to rezero every time I sat down to shoot my gun. After sending it back to Leupold several times swearing that it still didn't work right, the supervisor upgraded it to a Leupold 6.5-20x50 Target EFR with a $160.00 custom reticle from their Custom Shop. The supervisor mounted it on his 338 Lapua and swore it was working perfectly before he sent it to me, but when I got it - Bingo! same darn problem as before!
The supervisor patiently and kindly made me understand that the problem was with my Wildcat, not their scope. When I later discovered that the problem was truly caused by my FX factory regulator fluctuating up and down, I felt like such an asshole and called Leupold to apologize and pay for the upgraded scope because it was not their fault...but they wouldn't hear of it. That was the beginning of my personal mission to get Huub to make one of his most excellent regulators for my Wildcat...which also fits in my Streamline by the way. I am just hoping that someday FX breaks down and starts installing Huma regulators in all their rifles at the factory.
Airgunshooter, why don't you send the two Huma regulators in question back to Huma for inspection to be sure if the problem is with the regulators, or possibly your installation of them. E.g. it is very easy when working on the Wildcats to get the transfer port in the feeding pin misaligned and cause the exact problem you're describing.
All the best, Chuck
Chuck, I have had a R400 which I just couldn't get it to shoot any decent groups at 50m.
I must have had it apart about 10 times, and I swapped out about every part to troubleshoot.
First suspect was the barrel, but after machining a CZ blank to fit the R400, it still didn't shoot well.
I replaced the valve, valve seat, barrel etc. etc. but nothing seemed to work.
Weird thing was that the chrony numbers looked OK. Anyway, to make a long story short, it was the regulator causing the accuracy issue......

After swapping out all O-rings of the regulator, and applying a decent amount of silicone grease (VERY important), it shot like a laser beam, with the original ST barrel, and all the other original parts.
After I sold it, I got several mails from the buyer, saying that he was so happy with it, and that it was his most accurate airgun of all times....... But it sure had caused me pulling out my hair for a few weeks ;)

I won't argue the point any further...I am on record for almost two years now claiming that FX stock regulators are junk compared to the Huma or Robert Lane or Altaros regulators! My Huma regulators in my Wildcat and in my Streamline rifles have worked flawlessly ever since I first installed them. More to the point is the fact that each and every time I take my rifles out of their gun cases to shoot them they hit dead on my point of aim from the first shot to the last shot! And that's what I am talking about! Consistency and Reliability! I'll be damned if I will ever spend two thousand of my hard earned dollars on an FX Crown and then have to do a modification to re-stack the Belleville washers a different way...which voids the warranty also by the way!

I love FX Airguns but hate the way they rush these new prototype rifles into production without fully testing them, and then worry about fixing all the problems later after the fact! Just remember all the problems with the Impacts, and Wildcats too for that matter...for God's sake my Wildcat wouldn't even cycle the magazines...and when it did it left terrible scratches on them. Oh and did I mention that every oring had to be replaced twice because of the air leaks because they used inferior orings? Are you kidding me? Some one should explain to them what "quality control" truly means.

Sorry for the rant, Chuck

"weatherby"
Although I agree it doesn't win the beauty contest, those BV washers are unlikely to cause issues keeping the the very minor movement they make in mind.
We are talking about tenths of mm's of movement here, and I have seen a lot of FX reg'. BV washers which were stacked like this, but they never caused any issues. 
However, I always put them back in line with a Channel Lock (or Knipex in EU :p ) while I'm at it. 
B.t.w, that brass knurled end looks rather marred :-o
I have changed the output pressure setting on Ninja paintball regulators and when you get to the higher setting 2/100's of a MM (in the spring stack) can make a change of 100psi in the output. At 1200psi a difference of 2/10's could easily make the output change 100-200psi.

Well I absolutely love my Wildcat...but here is the rifle I would buy if I were you...the Brocock Commander HR (Huma Regulated)
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/brocock-commander-hi-lite-.25-air-rifle/
This rifle just looks like way too much fun! Thanks to Huub convincing the people at Daystate and Brocock to try putting one of his most excellent regulators in some of their rifles...This Commander has commanded all my attention! I would love to spend an afternoon with one of these! Boy it would look nice with the tan cerrocoat on the air tank!
Best regards, Chuck

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I’m liking that Bantam Sniper HR!" My sentiments exactly Boog! Too right you are mate! Looks to me like they thought of everything! I feel like a little Leprechaun named Tony Belas had some influence on the design of this one...and maybe his sidekick Giles too! My hands are reaching out to my computer screen in supplication...definition? "the action of asking or begging for something earnestly or humbly - "he fell to his knees in supplication."
Always the best, Chuck
:)

"CHUCK"I think this brocock sniper HR is going to give the wildcat a run for its money!
Not unless they do something with the trigger. My Compatto is on par with my WC everywhere except the trigger. I even like the mag of the Compatto better, but with the trigger the WC is able to do better groups with less concentration. I lightened both trigger springs, which helped a LOT, but it's still not up to the WC.