FX Regulators - Problems and Fixes

Hey shooters, I have recently posted a couple threads about my Bobcat II regulator issues. I have searched the forums and other sources of information but am really coming up short on information so that is why I am reaching out to all you FX shooters. Here's the Questions:

1. What problems have you found with the stock FX regulators, and

2. What was the fix?

If you fixed the problem, please identify parts.

"beercanshot"Thank you guys for all you info:
1. Where did you buy your Huma and
2. What size were the external and internal o-rings
I've gotten mine from either Huma direct or Trenier depending on the $$ to Euro conversion at the time. One is usually a bit cheaper then the other.

My WIldcat reg would creep when sitting. The first shot or two would be higher FPS. This would be fine for target shooting as I could just blow off 2 dry fires. I them could likely get 40K shots with it. Not quite as easy to do when hunting. If you are stalking for a couple hours and the reg creeps it's kinda hard to just dry fire while your quarry sits and waits.
With the Huma the first shot is now the same as all others.

I had a bit of reg creep with my Impact. I tore it apart and polished everything in the reg. assembly. I discovered two belville washers out of place as well. New o-rings and now it is doing good. I also set my reg to the speed I wanted at max spring setting. Lower spring settings also give a hi or low first shot. Glad to hear you gave it under control now. 

Continuing Story about my Bobcat II regulator. I started this post a while back and wanted to thank all who responded. Here's whats happened lately. I ordered a Huma regulator and have received it but have not installed it yet. I did take my original regulator out of the gun and replaced the external O rings. I did not have immediate access to the exact replacement O-rings so I bought some #10 Danco's from the hardware store and used them. They fit but the leak did not stop. I removed the regulator again and removed the lock nut and took off the Belleville washers and found that the regulator piston would not move. After watching Earnest Rowes videos, the piston should move. I tried to remove the brass retainer but it was pretty tight, it must have lock tight on it, so I simply used my fingers to work the piston back and forth until it loosened. I then re-assembled the washers and locking nut and re-installed the regulator and it is working fine. No leaks through the regulator and no creep if the gun sits idle.

I hit 130 bar on the first try so I left the regulator setting alone. I plan to shoot it a while and see what happens. I don't know why the regulator piston got stuck or froze up, I have not completely tore it apart yet.

Thanks again to the guys who posted replies

Beercanshooter

Latest Update: I did not use the original FX regulator, I decided since I had the Huma to go ahead and install it. It was no problem at all, the reg was set at 140 bar and when I installed in and pressurized the gun the gauge read exactly 140 bar. four days and no creep on the new Huma. I will begin shooting it in a couple days and will post the shot string information. Once I get it shooting and record the shot string I think I'll post the gun for sale as I would line to buy a laminate Crown.

I would not buy a Crown until Huma comes out with a new regulator for it...it seems quite a few guys are having problems with creep with the Crown regulator and also with the Impact regulator. I can't even imagine spending two thousand dollars on a pellet rifle that has the reg set on 150 bar but constantly creeps up to 170 bar...what a bummer. I have noticed a lot of used Crowns and Impacts up for sale and am wondering if this could be the reason why. Seems like the regulators are FX "Achilles Heel".

This may be why Daystate and Compatto - same company - have decided to install the Huma regulators in their rifles at the factory. Daystate has several new rifles for 2018 with factory installed Huma regulators...one called the Daystate Wolverine "R" - http://www.daystate.com/wolverine-r.htm,
and the other I like is the Compatto Commander: http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/brocock-commander-hi-lite-air-rifle/. 

I think Daystate and Compatto are going to surge ahead of FX in sales due to their superior Huma regulators. You may want to take a serious look at the Daystate Wolverine R Hi-Lite as an alternative to a Crown.

"CHUCK"I would not buy a Crown until Huma comes out with a new regulator for it...it seems quite a few guys are having problems with creep with the Crown regulator and also with the Impact regulator. I can't even imagine spending two thousand dollars on a pellet rifle that has the reg set on 150 bar but constantly creeps up to 170 bar...what a bummer. I have noticed a lot of used Crowns and Impacts up for sale and am wondering if this could be the reason why. Seems like the regulators are FX "Achilles Heel".
This may be why Daystate and Compatto - same company - have decided to install the Huma regulators in their rifles at the factory. Daystate has several new rifles for 2018 with factory installed Huma regulators...one called the Daystate Wolverine "R" - http://www.daystate.com/wolverine-r.htm,
and the other I like is the Compatto Commander: http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/brocock-commander-hi-lite-air-rifle/. 
I think Daystate and Compatto are going to surge ahead of FX in sales due to their superior Huma regulators. You may want to take a serious look at the Daystate Wolverine R Hi-Lite as an alternative to a Crown.
Hi Chuck, to me, the regulator design of the Impact and Crown is definitely not a reason not to buy one, I think the reg. creep issue is blown out of proportions.
Agree, some people encountered creep issues, but in most cases this only happens when hunting the 150-ish bar barrier from the regulator, not so much at lower pressures (.22 for instance)
I even think some people wouldn't have even noticed reg. creep when they wouldn't have read the forums, if you know what I mean ;)
At last, the latest Crown regulators seem to have a updated BV setup to work reliably above 150bar.

Regarding the original Royale regulators...... It is a good design, and it works as it should.
If it doesn't, it is a easy fix with a few o-rings and silicone grease.
Considering how many of them are out there, I even think it is one of the most reliable regulators around.
But ofcourse aftermarket stuff is always cool for the home-tuners, and it just sells. Heck, there even is a replacement regulator for the Edgun regulator, as if there is something wrong with the original one :)
Again, nice to have replacement regulators, but to me, it is often not really a necessity.
(Nothing against HuMa regulators b.t.w, I sometimes use them too, it is a good product.)

cheers,

Gijs

"CHUCK"I am hoping to get my hands on one of these Wolverine R rifles from daystate... if we could just put the FX streamline barrels on the daystate air rifles it would be a match made in heaven
My personal opinion is that Daystate is a very conservative company, and quite a bit behind compared to the competition. This year they are introducing regulated models, but if you ask me, they should have started doing that 10 years ago ;)
Same goes for Air Arms. Decent reliable products, but far from being innovative. A new color or stock option just doesn't do it for me. They have to step forward and come up with something new or refreshing.
Craftsmanship is top notch on both brands, no doubt about that, but the (internal) design is getting old.
Apologies for the off-topic, just my 2 cents :) 

Cheers,

Gijs (Not affiliated with any brand b.t.w, I too have to pay for them myself, like most of us do)

"weatherby"I even think some people wouldn't have even noticed reg. creep when they wouldn't have read the forums, if you know what I mean ;)

I think this is why ALL of the guns have not been returned for regulator problems. Most guys have no clue what is happening to their gun when it sits. They don't have a chrony and/or don't bother checking the gun after the initial tuning. I picked up my WC knowing I would likely be spending for the Huma.I tried to "tune" the original by disassembling, polishing and such, but no luck. It would continue to creep while sitting over night. I think it's likely an issue with ALL of the stock FX regulators. The reg is no where near the "quality" of others I've seen. Rough edges and poor tolerances.
Bought and installed the Huma and it can now sit for months without moving.
Most target guys are re-sighting each session anyway so what does 1 or 2 slow shots mean to them? Nothing except wasting 2 blasts of air, or even 2 pellets. What does it mean to a hunter? or pester? if they don't know they have the problem? It's that unexplained miss.Hopefully it's a clean miss and not a non-fatal hit.

"CHUCK"I would not buy a Crown until Huma comes out with a new regulator for it...it seems quite a few guys are having problems with creep with the Crown regulator and also with the Impact regulator.
How do you think a HuMa reg will look like as a replacement for the crown or impact regulator? It probably won't be a DIY regulator in that case since it's a regulator with an external piston stop and the rest of the regulator housing that's embedded in the breech block. I don't think HuMa will start delivering loose regulator pistons with a set of BV washers... Added to that is that the regulators are very small and should only be taken apart when you know what you're doing and have the right tools. It is very easy to screw up the regulator with the wrong tools or a bit of brute force.

I also understood from Johan from FX at the IWA that the new Crown will be delivered with thicker BV washers to solve the "problem". Yes it maybe can be called a design flaw but there are several ways to work around this. The easiest one is not to work that close to the specified limitations FX gives (I'm also ignorant enough to not listen to this :p )... Another one is the Weatherby mod (take good care of the internal components when doing this). It's also possible to just bring it in to someone who has knowledge of BV washers and how they work because he probably will be able to solve the problem rather quick.

My thoughts: If the crown didn't have a gauge to read the regulator pressure probably only a few people would have noticed it...