FX Pocket Chronograph 3D Printed 1/4x20 Bipod Mount

I ordered a new FX pocket chronograph for $200 and a new flexible bipod to mount it on. Everything I read about them said they come with a 1/4x20 hole for mounting on a bipod and the advertised picture on the website I bought it from led me to believe the same.

A few days later my order is delivered but the chrono doesn't look like the ones in the advertised pics. There's a barrel hanger on the bottom where the bipod mount should be and adding insult to injury the barrel hanger blocks use of the table or fence clip that is built into the chrono. No bipod mount was included so I contacted the seller who told me that he didn't know if FX still ships the bipod mount but I could try them or return the chronograph. I wasn't happy so I designed my own to be 3D printed. I feel like FX is cheating their customers on this so I'm making the file available for free to help others. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5265108 I suggest printing it solid for strength. The threads are printed and fit well.

Remove the 4 screws, separate the two case halves and replace the barrel hanger with the new printed bipod mount. Replace the screws and raise a center finger in the direction of sweden.

I think I'll modify the housing to fit a 4.5 amp hour li-ion battery next because I've heard AAA batteries don't last long in these. This should last at least 5 times longer than the disposable batteries before needing a recharge.

There must be a high demand because I published the design to thingyverse this morning a 3am and it been downloaded 89 times in those few hours.

chrono bipod mount 1 - Copy.1646004865.jpg
chrono bipod mount 2 - Copy.1646004866.jpg

Reactions: doubloon
I was using the FX radar for almost a full year and suddenly started missing the shots. I called my local FX dealer he told me to ship it to him for testing. And me an idiot, sent him the original thread plate in the box as well... I got a repacement = new serial number (also new version) radar back, but of course the back plate with that thread is no longer included with latest radars.

I am also tinkering to print my own threaded bracket but maybe a bit different now. Earlier I had a table top tripod mount, but learned that I am already walking 3-4 times between the car and a bench, I shall minimize the luggage somehow. But instead of simplifying I am making things even worst...for this next incoming season I am adding a one-piece rest to the pile in the trunk...I am working on that rest almost a month I may integrate a radar mount somewhere there.

I think fx is trying to push customers into buying that goofy cf tube to mount to the side of the gun and then hang the radar off of that. I think most customers would rather spend money on a rigid barrel rather than a goofy work around. Adding the bipod plate to the package has to be an insignificant cost in the overall scheme of things so this really lowers my opinion of whoever made it a separate purchase.

... fx is trying to push customers into buying that goofy cf tube ...

From day one I had two adapters, one for mounting on barrel and one for mounting to tripod.

As much I wanted to avoid hanging the radar from the barrel/shroud I always came back to a fact that moving the tabletop tripod around on the bench is still less precision reading versus just hanging the reader from the shroud. I have learned this a long way so don't really feel the loss for the threaded bracket with the new radar unit.

But agree with you that a threaded tripod bracket can give more convenience for positioning.

Just recently (really months ago) saw the old pictures how rusbear in example was attaching the FX radar to the scope bell. I tried that, like the idea but only until the gun is resting on bench, so sort of work around as well.

Getting back to practical tinkering, placing=integrating the FX radar inside the shroud is the best possible place to do.

Would I buy it whatever is a new price tag? Yes I would, but I just don't like collecting loose things I don't use much....