• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Panthera

Not sure if anyone else heard this in the video but there was a quick little statement about there will be other variants of this rifle coming. I can’t see FX not trying to utilize their new valve system, which generates more power using less air, for a hunting platform.
If the .30 can generate 150ft/lbs what would a .35 be able to do; stock setup as well. Just some thoughts I had after I heard the statement about other platforms.

Reactions: mercado and Jlowe
Hello?!? Its airgun made for specific competitions. What’s so nefarious about that? The sky is not falling…
It’s not yet, but ask Donny Du how the current political climate is working out for him. Do you really think that’s a one-off situation? Or more likely a harbinger of things to come? I’m not criticizing any airgun industry folks for making awesome products (which this gun is)……. I’m warning that stupid people voting is imperiling our industry. Believe me, I really hope I’m wrong.

This is gooooooood lol , :ROFLMAO:

It seems as if they went back to single regulator which does actually look like a plus,
really just a reshaped mk2 with a new amp reg mixed with an edgun and a prophet?

Edit: I can see this all making tons of sense for PRS , I just think theres going to be some imaginary dreaming going on of hunting animals at 300 yards now but to each their own

I would think the Panthera 500 would be the main hunting version of this gun. Although a long range hunting gun. Past 100 yards. Maybe to 150 yards

I would think the Panthera 500 would be the main hunting version of this gun. Although a long range hunting gun. Past 100 yards. Maybe to 150 yards
There is no hunting version.

In the video he was shooting the 700mm at 1000 fps with 34 grain, at 150 yards thats still 45 fpe , however with such a light projectile theres a lot that can affect it at the 740ish fps its traveling at 150. The 500 on the same settings would likely (guestimate) be shooting those same slugs around 925ish fps..... with 6mph wind at any spot thats 6 inches of movement and it has 47 inches of drop... I am not saying people can't do it I just think that with hunting first shot placement is 100% key , when hunting this isn't paper where you can take a sighter.

Last edited:
Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
However, for hunting this isn't really feasible
Agree, don't like to add 25 cm to the hunting rig, but like they say its less top heavy, I can live with that compared to more length and would also like to keep the number of shots per fill as well as the larger magazines for the Impact 🙂👍

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Panthera, from FX's own description, is a purpose-built gun made for competitions. FX built this rifle with a specific audience in mind, and not for the general airgun enthusiasts. So, it's just natural that many of you will not like it.

FX, obviously, is trying to broaden their audience by appealing to the NRL22 crowd. I can see the potential here. With rimfire, you're pretty much at the mercy of the quality and availability of your chosen ammo. With airguns, you have more control. You can regulate your velocity and even make your own slugs if that's what you prefer.

I have no use for such a rifle but I think it's cool that FX is doing this. It'll be interesting to see how this new platform will be accepted by the PRS community in the months to come.
100%

Ive been reading all the Panthera discussion and I feel like your comments here are spot on.

Guys griping about the shot count of the small bottle.....says right in the advertising literature that PRS doesn't need many shots per station, so a large shot count isn't something the PRS guys are worried about.

Guys griping bout the length.....says right in the lit that the length is a PRO for the intended use (PRS). Balance and all that.

There are many of us in the airgun world who are quite happy with PELLET guns. We understand the benefits that come from low power and essentially crappy BCs (yes a low BC can be a good thing). We are pesters that don't want to put holes in barns, livestock, houses, or PEOPLE. We like quiet. We are field target competitors who are limited to 20fpe by the rules. We like quiet. We like the challenge of doing more with less. WE LIKE QUIET!!! Up til now FX has been straddling the fence between developing guns that produce more and more power, while still somewhat hanging on to their roots of making pellet guns for the airgun industry. This high power/long range chase is the direction the company has been going for the last few years. And it puts them at odds with most of what airguns have always been. It's been coming, but this is The Great Divergence.

I see the announcement of the Panthera as FX's formal statement that " theres a potentially huge here-to-for untapped market and we're going after them!!!" Competitive rimfire guys being "them."

As @JEFROX stated, I also have zero use for such a gun. I haven't shot a rimfire (or any firearm for that matter) in probably 4 years, and I don't want to. I just don't want or need 100fpe, I don't like the air usage. I don't like the fact that shooting on my property becomes a lot more dangerous. It disagrees with all that I enjoy about airguns. But just cuz I'm a diehard airgunner and plan to continue to be one, that doesn't mean the PRS/NRL guys aren't going to be buying them up like hotcakes, ESPECIALLY if the Panthera is going to be as competitive at that game as the FX advertising juggernaut is suggesting.

I see this as FXs first big step into trying to take a slice of the pie that is the firearm industry.

Did you see the one where they took one hunting?

Allen
Such a large rifle for what they're doing

Not that it matters where they are shooting but damn those ricochets were flying far

"Off hand couldn't think of a better rifle for that?" LOL

That thing is huge for 500mm

20221115_174642.jpg

I love this, lol let's build something for a specific market doing a specific thing but

Let's advertise 90 shots with A but advertise FPE with B

View attachment 311662
Yep I spotted that right away ! Shooting a 40grain slugs at what you want is not going to
give you that many shots say about 1/2 or 1/3...

Guys griping about the shot count of the small bottle.....says right in the advertising literature that PRS doesn't need many shots per station, so a large shot count isn't something the PRS guys are worried about.

Guys griping bout the length.....says right in the lit that the length is a PRO for the intended use (PRS). Balance and all that.

Well I dont agree with FX or their advertising. A long setup in PRS is certainly not an advantage. It is the opposite, just because FX says something doesnt make it true. And the low shot count is a con no matter how you look at it. A 300Bar 300cc bottle would still be a big improvement and there is no reason FX cant use one. Inocom, the company that makes their FX bottles has 300Bar available. I have one in front of me lol. I understand they were targeting a specific market. But lets be honest, they could have made the Panthera even better with a few small changes. Saying its limited because PRS exists is kinda silly. And since I already started digging this hole, Id like to also gripe about the speeds. If they really wanted to make a PRS rifle to compete with rimfires (FX own words); they should have made a something that can shoot 40 grain slugs at 1080fps in a happy range for the reg/valve and still be accurate.

In closing I think FX could have made a really sweet competition rig, that crossed over into other markets. If it had a 300Bar 480cc bottle, I would have pre-ordered a 500mm version in a heartbeat. But the reality is the limitations are going to exclude a lot of could be customers.

Well I dont agree with FX or their advertising. A long setup in PRS is certainly not an advantage. It is the opposite, just because FX says something doesnt make it true. And the low shot count is a con no matter how you look at it. A 300Bar 300cc bottle would still be a big improvement and there is no reason FX cant use one. Inocom, the company that makes their FX bottles has 300Bar available. I have one in front of me lol. I understand they were targeting a specific market. But lets be honest, they could have made the Panthera even better with a few small changes. Saying its limited because PRS exists is kinda silly. And since I already started digging this hole, Id like to also gripe about the speeds. If they really wanted to make a PRS rifle to compete with rimfires (FX own words); they should have made a something that can shoot 40 grain slugs at 1080fps in a happy range for the reg/valve and still be accurate.

In closing I think FX could have made a really sweet competition rig, that crossed over into other markets. If it had a 300Bar 480cc bottle, I would have pre-ordered a 500mm version in a heartbeat. But the reality is the limitations are going to exclude a lot of could be customers.
I personally dont agree with a low shot count being an advantage, but I'm also not a PRS/NRL guy. Are you?
From personal experience shooting in regular and extreme field target where offhand shots are part of the game, I'd rather have a longer gun (to a point of course) than a short little bullpup. Again, though, that's different than PRS/NRL where they're shooting off baricades and props.

My assumption here, with FX making what they're calling a PRS competition gun, is that they got some PRS guys on board and asked them what they want. A friend was at RMAC last year and told me that some big name PRS rimfire guy was shooting an FX and did rather well. I don't follow PRS or RMAC so I don't know the name of the guy my buddy was referencing, but I assume he was shooting an Impact or a Crown. Quite likely that PRS gun with an Impact in his hand threw out a couple ideas to Frederick about how to make the Impact a better PRS gun, one thing led to the next and...... Dollars to doughnuts FX put him on the payroll, paid him some consulting money, or just told him they'll get him a PRS winning gun in return for him telling them what features a PRS gun needs. So, again an assumption, I'd bet the ergonomics and general ideal of the Panthera was 100% what an actual experienced PRS guy told them he wanted.

I personally dont agree with a low shot count being an advantage, but I'm also not a PRS/NRL guy. Are you?
From personal experience shooting in regular and extreme field target where offhand shots are part of the game, I'd rather have a longer gun (to a point of course) than a short little bullpup. Again, though, that's different than PRS/NRL where they're shooting off baricades and props.

My assumption here, with FX making what they're calling a PRS competition gun, is that they got some PRS guys on board and asked them what they want. A friend was at RMAC last year and told me that some big name PRS rimfire guy was shooting an FX and did rather well. I don't follow PRS or RMAC so I don't know the name of the guy my buddy was referencing, but I assume he was shooting an Impact or a Crown. Quite likely that PRS gun with an Impact in his hand threw out a couple ideas to Frederick about how to make the Impact a better PRS gun, one thing led to the next and...... Dollars to doughnuts FX put him on the payroll, paid him some consulting money, or just told him they'll get him a PRS winning gun in return for him telling them what features a PRS gun needs. So, again an assumption, I'd bet the ergonomics and general ideal of the Panthera was 100% what an actual experienced PRS guy told them he wanted.

Boyd Linder or Utah_pew_pew on instagram

Reactions: Franklink
Yep, that's the guy. My guess is that he's behind the concept and ergos of the Panthera.
Oh ya I 100% agree, hes with owner of Utah Airguns right now at a competition in Tennesee, that guy can seriously shoot! great information on his "talk about it tuesdays" on instagram and he shoots an impact and an airforce for the big bore competitions.

I wonder what the increase shot count would be going with a 300 bar vs. 250. Is it worth the increase pressure? I would also wonder how well the regulator could work at maintaining lets say 140 bar when the bottle is at 250 vs. 300 bar. After all this is a competion gun and having a large spread in speed would affect accuracy I suspect. One could always pay extra money if one wanted for a better regulator and higher pressure bottle for that matter, I'm sure someone will decide that dual bottles are better or a slightly longer butt section to allow for a larger tank maybe? Like the impact I'm sure there are things we can change to make it more suited to our taste.

Allen