FX Panthera compact Hunter .25 Cal vs. Sidewinder .25 accuracy at 100 yards.

Today I made some shooting with both rifles at 100 yards.

The difference of accuracy of these two rifles vs my Wolverine HP HR .22 is really big.

And ….. Apparently…. The accuracy of the sidewinder is better.

Once there’s no wind at all I will shoot three groups of five shot with each at 100 yards and will share them.

But, for sure,whomever has a Sidewinder would not miss a Panthera….. That is a fact!

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Again, I’m glad you have so much love for an airgun you own. Many of us never make it to that point.
The panthera hunter is a compact, short barreled hunting rifle that won’t reach the speeds max power that your sidewinder will.
Depending how far you’re shooting, at what speeds, and with what projectiles will strongly shape which gun performs best. That panthera is really not designed for long distances. That’s what the big boy Panthera is for.

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Again, I’m glad you have so much love for an airgun you own. Many of us never make it to that point.
The panthera hunter is a compact, short barreled hunting rifle that won’t reach the speeds max power that your sidewinder will.
Depending how far you’re shooting, at what speeds, and with what projectiles will strongly shape which gun performs best. That panthera is really not designed for long distances. That’s what the big boy Panthera is for.
At this moment both rifles are shooting JSB MKII 33,95 grain.

Sidewinder is shooting at 930 fps and the Panthera at 855 fps. Is it important for accuracy at 100 yards?

Reactions: Bravo1956
Wow, the Panthera is shooting them 855, not bad at all. That’s fast enough. If the little guy doesn’t jump around and is as planted and dead as the Sidewinder, it’s an interesting comparison. But like someone else said, it’s easier to pick on the little brother. Like the Dreamtac compacts, I don’t believe FX marketed the little Panthera as a long bomber. It’s us enthusiasts that believe everything that holds over 3,000psi of air should be a long bomber.

I made more shots to the upper left target with the Panthera because compensation changed without wind. Upper right target with the Panthera has 5 shots but paper ripped, so not all are perfectly marked.

And of course, this is my shooting with a rest but not using a bipod, because I do not own one. I never shoot with bipods.

IMG_2604.jpeg

IMG_2605.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bravo1956
Short guns are always harder to shoot accurately or consistently, every little user input is magnified by the shorter length. If both guns are same length and weight then it’s a fair comparison, if a little compact gun with tiny little barrel can keep up with a full size gun it already speaks volume of Panthera hunter’s capability/accuracy.

If I compare my impact in 500mm compact form to my impact in 700mm form with bipod extended to the front, there is no doubt the longer impact will be more accurate even at the same speed.

Reactions: tibor and Emu
Short guns are always harder to shoot accurately or consistently, every little user input is magnified by the shorter length. If both guns are same length and weight then it’s a fair comparison, if a little compact gun with tiny little barrel can keep up with a full size gun it already speaks volume of Panthera hunter’s capability/accuracy.

If I compare my impact in 500mm compact form to my impact in 700mm form with bipod extended to the front, there is no doubt the longer impact will be more accurate even at the same speed.
There’s a disconnect with how people understand the inner workings of a pcp.
the barrel is like a runway. The more barrel you have, the more runway there is for that projectile to get up to speed. The shorter the runway, the faster that projectile has to increase speed before it’s out of runway. Once the runway is gone, the projectile will start losing speed immediately. So In order for a shorter runway to give you the same speed as a longer runway (or similar speed), it needs more air behind the projectile to get it there. There are 2 downsides to this. First, the shot cycle is so jumpy from the extra air and extra work the action needs to do to provide that air, the Rifle becomes harder to shoot without the same exact hold every single shot. Second, there’s a LOT of wasted air out the barrel which can cause a very turbulent area behind the projectile, which can cause it to wobble or even push it one direction or he other.
these are both detrimental to accuracy, especially at long distance, so to compare a long runway gun to a short runway gun is a difficult thing to do accurately. Ithere is no doubt in my mind That panthera is accurate, but with a short barrel, the force needed to get that projectile moving will be harder to tame by the shooter.
this separates the good shooters from the great shooters On how well they can hold the gun repeatedly every shot.

the barrel is like a runway. The more barrel you have, the more runway there is for that projectile to get up to speed. The shorter the runway, the faster that projectile has to increase speed before it’s out of runway. Once the runway is gone, the projectile will start losing speed immediately. So In order for a shorter runway to give you the same speed as a longer runway (or similar speed), it needs more air behind the projectile to get it there. There are 2 downsides to this. First, the shot cycle is so jumpy from the extra air and extra work the action needs to do to provide that air, the Rifle becomes harder to shoot without the same exact hold every single shot. Second, there’s a LOT of wasted air out the barrel which can cause a very turbulent area behind the projectile, which can cause it to wobble or even push it one direction or he other.
these are both detrimental to accuracy, especially at long distance, so to compare a long runway gun to a short runway gun is a difficult thing to do accurately. Ithere is no doubt in my mind That panthera is accurate, but with a short barrel, the force needed to get that projectile moving will
The Panthera Hunter Compact has a barrel that is 189mm shorter then the Sidewinder.
No doubt the Panthera HC will have a much larger muzzle blast at the same pellet muzzle velocity. That alone will throw the projectile off. Try the 600mm FX Panthera in 25cal for a meaningful comparison.

these are both detrimental to accuracy, especially at long distance, so to compare a long runway gun to a short runway gun is a difficult thing to do accurately. Ithere is no doubt in my mind That panthera is accurate, but with a short barrel, the force needed to get that projectile moving will be harder to tame by the shooter.
this separates the good shooters from the great shooters On how well they can hold the gun repeatedly every shot.
Took out the longer barrels.

More or less same thing….:

IMG_2607.jpeg

The Panthera Hunter Compact has a barrel that is 189mm shorter then the Sidewinder.
No doubt the Panthera HC will have a much larger muzzle blast at the same pellet muzzle velocity. That alone will throw the projectile off. Try the 600mm FX Panthera in 25cal for a meaningful comparison.
My point exactly.

Reactions: Raider03
This is frustrating.. !!!
You are not shooting groups at 100 yards. You are just hitting the paper in the general area that you are aiming for. This is either caused by the guns capabilities, the tune or the shooter. Bring your target in to 80 yards and test them again. Out to 75 yards, most guys and guns are hero’s. Something happens between 80 and 100 that can put your pants on you quick. When you figure out what distance you go from hero to zero, then you can start the diagnostic process.