FX Panthera 700 22 cal. First impressions.

Just received my FX Panthera 700 22 cal. I heard that The Pellet Shop had some so I ordered it and 5 days later it was delivered. I only shot 1 mag today as it was getting dark and the snowstorm didn't help much. Below are my first impressions.

The Pros:
1. The gun comes in a nice dedicated FX gun case, a good thing, because I didn't have a gun case long enough to put the Panthera 700! Yes, we, in the airgun community, are quite used to bullpup guns that are quite compact considering their relatively long barrels.
2. The gun is long but not too heavy or unbalanced, it feels good on its bipod or offhand
3. The build quality is exceptional, those who have experienced FX guns would know.
4. The plenum is part of the shroud and not visible like on an FX Impact, and even without a suppressor, the gun is quiet enough for backyard plinking. I'll tell you more after testing intensively if my neighbors freaked out... But decent suppressors cost more or less $200, so not needing one is quite a significant saving.
5. The vertical grip feels very comfortable
6. The trigger action is excellent.
7. The butt pad is adjustable and very comfy.
8. The mag is longer than the usual FX mags giving enough room for longer slugs.
9. My gun's reg came set at 140 bar, I only shot one mag today but as is, I guestimate that I'd be able to shoot between 50 to 55 slugs from a full tank. Not bad, but then again, that's why I chose a 22 cal.
10. It looks racy IMO. Very subjective but a good look is important. The Panthera looks sexy as F**K

The Cons:
1. The mag is located under the scope and quite protuberant so there is not much space to put a scope close to the bore. I had to put a riser underneath the 50mm lens scope to clear the mag. FX said that for PRS competitors they will release smaller mags (13 shots I think) to allow a smaller sight to bore gap.
2. The gun is long. If you add a suppressor, even a short one like an Impulse, the gun will be even longer. A 22 cal doesn't need one IMO unless you boost the reg pressure really hard but I'm guessing that a 30 cal would definitely need one.
3. There is no news about spare mags yet.
4. The mag has no locking mechanism like on an Impact M3, so after inserting the mag you can feel a bit of a wobble.
5. I wished the pistol grip came with a thumb rest.
6. The bottle capacity is limited to 300cc. Yes, you can put a second bottle under the barrel but then you lose the MLOK/ARCA rail and the gun becomes much heavier and it does destroy its racy look.

This gun was made to shoot slugs, at high speed (between 950 and 1000 FPS). The lightest slug I'll be using is probably gonna be 30gr and the heaviest will be a 40gr. I'm sharing herewith a pic of a "22 cal Javelin 40gr" and a "25 cal JSB Diabolo King Heavy 34gr" that I shoot with my Leshiy 2. You don't need to be an engineer to see that the former is much more aerodynamic.

Panthera 700 22 cal.jpg

Slug vs Pellet.jpg

@Sung, thank you for that.
Ultimately for me, it's the accuracy at 100yd+ that I am interested in. Interested how it compares to the M3.
So the latest update is a very bad. I got a lemon. The reg of my Panthera is like a moody chick, it only works when it's in a good mood. I set the reg at 135and leave it for the night, the next day I find it at 150. Then Instart shooting and it goes down to 120. So I tune it back on. Between 130 and 135 it shoots a Javelin 36 gr with crazy spread ranging from 890 to 935 FPS. Then as I increase the reg past 140 the velocity drops! You read that right, at 140 bar it shoots 800 ish and at 150+ 700ish and at 160 bar it goes down to 615 FPS. almost like an airsoft gun this panthera. So I'm sending it back to FX.

So the latest update is a very bad. I got a lemon. The reg of my Panthera is like a moody chick, it only works when it's in a good mood. I set the reg at 135and leave it for the night, the next day I find it at 150. Then Instart shooting and it goes down to 120. So I tune it back on. Between 130 and 135 it shoots a Javelin 36 gr with crazy spread ranging from 890 to 935 FPS. Then as I increase the reg past 140 the velocity drops! You read that right, at 140 bar it shoots 800 ish and at 150+ 700ish and at 160 bar it goes down to 615 FPS. almost like an airsoft gun this panthera. So I'm sending it back to FX.

All Airguns shoot slower when you increase the reg pressure without also increasing hammer strike. That’s normal

M
Yes and I did every possible combination of tuning the hammer, it has nothing to do with the hammer as FX USA confirmed. Besides, my FX Impact M3 .35 Cal has absolutely none of these problems.

Reactions: FelixS
Fx has said multiple times that you can not just change the reg pressure and expect the gun to shoot exactly the same after the first shot. You need to run a mag or more through the system to see any real benefits. You need to remember that the Panthera has a MASSIVE plenum and will not be as easy to tune as an M3. The gun will take much more care when tuning to get the final results you are looking for.

Again you can not tune the Panthera the same way you have tuned your M3. Two completely different units that will be tuned completely different.

Reactions: Nords
If you up the Reg pressure and you do not increase the hammer weight then it is obvious why the speed will drop with a higher Reg pressure.

The stock hammer simply cannot whack that valve with enough force to open the valve sufficiently at high Reg pressure.

Regulated PCP airgun 101.

Last edited:
Fx has said multiple times that you can not just change the reg pressure and expect the gun to shoot exactly the same after the first shot. You need to run a mag or more through the system to see any real benefits. You need to remember that the Panthera has a MASSIVE plenum and will not be as easy to tune as an M3. The gun will take much more care when tuning to get the final results you are looking for.

Again you can not tune the Panthera the same way you have tuned your M3. Two completely different units that will be tuned completely different.
You don't get it. I always shoot a few hundreds pellets or slugs to break in before trying to fine tune a gun. My Panthera's reg never stabilized and the spreads were absolutely out of this world for a regulated gun. Even a non regulated gun like an AEA semi auto has a better spread. I explained my issues to FX SWEDEN and FX USA and they both concluded that my gun was a defective and asked to send it back. Nevertheless thanks for trying to share knowledge and experience.

Reactions: Triggers and 4X4s
The regs on the Panthera have been shown to take a few hundred rounds before they settle in. Have taken the one apart in a local guys gun and polished the edges and it helped a lot. He is shooting the same gun you are and has zero issues getting over 1000 fps with the 40 grain javelins. It just takes some work to get to the area you are wanting to go. I am willing to bet that after you send yours in and get another one back..... it will behave the same way