FX Panther no-hype review and tests

Exactly. No one is questioning the power potential. What we want to know is at advertised power (.22 LR Rimfire or 95ish FPE) will the air capacity stock 300cc at 250 bar, provide enough shots for a normal 10 or 12 shot NRL-22 or NRL-22x stage. Simple. And in case anyone was wondering, I have FX guns and have won competitions with FX guns. And Cole is correct. We have had a knock down drag out on AGN (and text/email) but we’re still friends…

Reactions: EDventure
Exactly. No one is questioning the power potential. What we want to know is at advertised power (.22 LR Rimfire or 95ish FPE) will the air capacity stock 300cc at 250 bar, provide enough shots for a normal 10 or 12 shot NRL-22 or NRL-22x stage. Simple. And in case anyone was wondering, I have FX guns and have won competitions with FX guns. And Cole is correct. We have had a knock down drag out on AGN (and text/email) but we’re still friends…
If it does that's a bonus, because nowhere have I seen that they advertised shooting matches at max power. (Having enough air in this configuration) Feel free to correct me and show me where they said you can shoot a round or match at full power without refilling.

I've seen other configurations with a front and rear bottle also.

If it does that's a bonus, because nowhere have I seen that they advertised shooting matches at max power. (Having enough air in this configuration) Feel free to correct me and show me where they said you can shoot a round or match at full power without refilling.

Snippet from an online source, describing PRS:
"In a PRS-type match, on the other hand, shooters might be required to get hits on up to 10 steel targets (or tennis balls, or golf balls, depending on the stage design) from 1 to 3 MOA in size (1-3 inches at 100 yards) that must be engaged within 2 minutes, generally from at least 2 and up to 5 unconventional shooting positions, and at distances up to 1,200 yards."

Up to 1200 yards makes me think that's perhaps centerfire version?

I have noticed that max power is given as follows for the 700mm:

• Max. energy**: 96 fpe (.22), 107 fpe(.25), 150 fpe(.30)
** - Using tungsten hammer and: 40gr slug at 1040 fps (.22), 55.5gr slug at 930 fps (.25), 70gr slug at 982 fps (.30)

Out of the box shows the following:
  • Shots per fill* (@900 fps): 90 (.22), 70 (.25), 40 (.30)
* - Using: 22gr hybrid slugs (.22), 26gr hybrid slugs (.25), 44.5gr hybrid slugs (.30)

Reactions: Glem.Chally
I have noticed that max power is given as follows for the 700mm:

• Max. energy**: 96 fpe (.22), 107 fpe(.25), 150 fpe(.30)
** - Using tungsten hammer and: 40gr slug at 1040 fps (.22), 55.5gr slug at 930 fps (.25), 70gr slug at 982 fps (.30)

Out of the box shows the following:
  • Shots per fill* (@900 fps): 90 (.22), 70 (.25), 40 (.30)
* - Using: 22gr hybrid slugs (.22), 26gr hybrid slugs (.25), 44.5gr hybrid slugs (.30)
Correct, that is what is advertised. So running around in multiple threads trying to call BS on a statement that isn't there is nonsense.

I’m assuming you know what a STAGE is in NRL-22? If the manufacturer makes his biggest advertising point that FINALLY an Airgun can shoot the same as the .22 Rimfire guys with slug weight and BC, a person would certainly be led to think that means “equivalent” to .22 rimfire. Doesn’t take a lawyer to see that.

From FX: A Dedicated, Purpose-Built Air Rifle made to win .22lr precision rifle competitions
22LR precision shooters will identify the ability to shoot the same BC slugs and weights they are used to, but with the control and standard deviations that only FX Airguns can deliver.
It feels and shoots like a precision 22LR, enjoying straight back recoil, but with laser sharp precision and accuracy only found with an FX Airgun!

@Centercut, what kind of time constraints can be expected at a shooting stage for PRS or NRL? And I keep seeing 10 shots, is that a standard number of shots per stage within a certain amount of time?
Usually either 90 or 120 seconds depending on the stage and 8 to 12 shots.

Snippet from an online source, describing PRS:
"In a PRS-type match, on the other hand, shooters might be required to get hits on up to 10 steel targets (or tennis balls, or golf balls, depending on the stage design) from 1 to 3 MOA in size (1-3 inches at 100 yards) that must be engaged within 2 minutes, generally from at least 2 and up to 5 unconventional shooting positions, and at distances up to 1,200 yards."

Up to 1200 yards makes me think that's perhaps centerfire version?

But if there's a time limit, stopping to refill in that 2 minutes is gonna hurt your chances at winning.
Again nowhere does it say that it can be shot at MAX power for a stage.

I’m assuming you know what a STAGE is in NRL-22? If the manufacturer makes his biggest advertising point that FINALLY an Airgun can shoot the same as the .22 Rimfire guys with weight and BC, a person would certainly be led to think that means “equivalent” to .22 rimfire. Doesn’t take a lawyer to see that.

From FX: A Dedicated, Purpose-Built Air Rifle made to win .22lr precision rifle competitions
22LR precision shooters will identify the ability to shoot the same BC slugs and weights they are used to, but with the control and standard deviations that only FX Airguns can deliver.
It feels and shoots like a precision 22LR, enjoying straight back recoil, but with laser sharp precision and accuracy only found with an FX Airgun!
Whats the other part of the equation for FPE? Weight and what else?

Please put in bold where they say you can shoot matches at .22lr weight and SPEED. I'll wait.

I know that quote I sent it to you yesterday when you were confused about the same words.

• Haha
Reactions: Centercut
@Glem.Chally, for just a moment please step away from the cliff and think through this. Set your brand loyalty aside for just half a second to objectively consider what we're asking.

The Panthera was announced as a groundbreaking new PCP, capable of rimfire power levels, as well as BCs equivalent to a rimfire. There are even PRS mentions all over the product release information.

So, a new pcp, that can shoot like a rimfire, with the intended use of PRS (and maybe NRL).

Next step: PRS requires all shots be within 90-120 seconds, often requiring 8-12 shots per station. So, worst case scenario, 12 shots in 2 minutes. Wondering if this gun can shoot 12 shots to be competitive against a bunch of rimfires (so you'll need that max fpe and BC) without needing to be refilled is a valid and legitimate question.

So they might have to be shooting at less than max power? Omg might as well stay home.
The whole point of the Panthera (per FXs advertising material) is that it can be shot at rimfire power levels. Might as well stay home? Nah, might as well shoot an Impact (that'll get you through a couple lanes without needing to be refilled) and just preemptively admit defeat to the rimfire shooters, like airguns have so far been doing, pre-Panthera.

@Glem.Chally, for just a moment please step away from the cliff and think through this. Set your brand loyalty aside for just half a second to objectively consider what we're asking.

The Panthera was announced as a groundbreaking new PCP, capable of rimfire power levels, as well as BCs equivalent to a rimfire. There are even PRS mentions all over the product release information.

So, a new pcp, that can shoot like a rimfire, with the intended use of PRS (and maybe NRL).

Next step: PRS requires all shots be within 90-120 seconds, often requiring 8-12 shots per station. So, worst case scenario, 12 shots in 2 minutes. Wondering if this gun can shoot 12 shots to be competitive against a bunch of rimfires (so you'll need that max fpe and BC) without needing to be refilled is a valid and legitimate question.

The whole point of the Panthera (per FXs advertising material) is that it can be shot at rimfire power levels. Might as well stay home? Nah, might as well shoot an Impact (that'll get you through a couple lanes without needing to be refilled) and just preemptively admit defeat to the rimfire shooters, like airguns have so far been doing, pre-Panthera.
I totally understand it's advertised as a PRS gun. What if it gets 90 FPE for 12 shots? Would it be a failure?

The point of the gun per FXs advertising is shooting .22lr weights and BC as shown above. And yes is also capable of 96fpe so they say. But I don't see anywhere that it needs to do all 3 at the same time for the duration of a stage. You're suggesting it won't stand a chance unless it can shoot at max power for a stage without filling. Something they never claimed. (I don't know why it went italics lol)

Don't worry about the cliff, I'm just fine we're having a discussion and I can handle them.

Of course it's not required that it be shot at max output. If a shooter is going to have to intentionally hamstring themselves to less power and BC than the rimfire shooters, they might as well shoot an Impact and just understand they have very little chance of beating the best of the rimfire shooters.

As a field target competitor I choose the equipment that I feel will give me the best chance of winning. I don't think PRS or NRL guys are any different. It'd be a tough pill to swallow, going into a PRS/NRL match knowing that my Panthera can shoot at the level of the rimfires, but can't get enough shots to shoot a whole stage at that power level.

It's got almost 500 cc of air on board and 12 shots at 150 bar or less to make full power I'm betting that it would be able to do 12 shots with a 40 gr at 1000 plus fps which would be right in there with 22 lr
Yes. Please someone show us a shot string of .22/40 grain slugs at 1000fps, using a 250bar/300 cc bottle. That's all I'm curious about.

No i'm suggesting that it's possible that maybe they get 12 shots at 1000 instead of 1040. They would most likely tune it to suit the number of shots needed. There's nothing wrong with the question but Mike telling him how he should be using this gun/reviewing it is nonsense which got my attention. He stated in the original post he's planning on using this as a long range benchrest gun.

Again time will tell.

Reactions: RusBear