FX Panther no-hype review and tests

Hello @RusBear
After a couple a week of use, did you notice in the first few shots of the session that the speed, impact point and regulator pressure are the same as in previous sessions?
thanks for your answer
As a fact my first thoughtful try to shoot FX Panthera to 100 yards distance was this weekend and the results were excellent - video is coming soon. I can surely say that the regulator pressure is at the same level as it was several days ago, the same as the first shot speed. I didn't have tests for the POI change, so can't tell you something about it.

So, here is my brief report and shooting to 100 yards with 40 and 37 grain slugs. And yes, it was cold 21F.

Пантера ИГ 2.jpg

Пантера ИГ 1.jpg

Пантера ИГ 5.jpg

I beat unlimited Rimfire guns in BR matches routinely with 60fpe. I can shoot 1050 if I want …but I stay around 830 fps because NOTHING better happens when I shoot faster. The idea that you will need to shoot 1050 with a 40gr slug to keep up with prs style Rimfire (not unlimited) is ridiculous.

Mike
NRL22 is nothing like N50/BR. Everything changes at 200y with a 2min clock. You want heavy ammo shooting fast and flat to be competitive with the other rimfire classes. Some of the reasons being:
  • Dialing for days between tagrets (ranging from 35-200y) is a distraction and time penalty
  • Splashes from misses are substantially less at 61FPE (830/40gr) than they are at 107FPE (1100).
  • You're going to have a hard time getting the heavy spinners spinning with ~40% less energy
  • Wind drift is less (albeit marginally) at 200y shooting at 1100 than 830 (.217 40gr 2S RBT / RA4 BC 0.163 avg @0-60y / 17.7" twist)
Ballistics are another subject with the obvious variability with different barrel specs for a given projectile and the characteristics of the projectile itself. I've observed repeatedly under varying conditions and configurations that 1090-1100FPS is the superior velocity for 100y precision with a few different rifles and projectiles from 16-17.7" twist barrels that I have machined. This has nothing to do with harmonics and it's not coincidence.

That being said, BC and consistent precision at rimfire velocities are critical for most shooters to be competitive in NRL22. With respects to rimfire-like airgun projectiles, there certainly ARE a variety of airgun slugs that can level the projectile playing field, but rifle form factor / stability eliminates most PCPs from being on par with the typical .22LR that the rimfire folks are using.

The Panthera's form factor and power may be the closest that I've seen to date that could put PCPs in the same arena as rimfires. I'm a little concerned with some of the things that I'm hearing about valve stems getting bent with a tungsten hammer (may or may not have been a fluke) and the rail being wobbly. @RusBear - what are your feeling about the rigidity of the bipod rail and the rifle overall? Also, does it feel stable / solid shooting at 170bar or more?

NRL22 is nothing like N50/BR. Everything changes at 200y with a 2min clock. You want heavy ammo shooting fast and flat to be competitive with the other rimfire classes. Some of the reasons being:
  • Dialing for days between tagrets (ranging from 35-200y) is a distraction and time penalty
  • Splashes from misses are substantially less at 61FPE (830/40gr) than they are at 107FPE (1100).
  • You're going to have a hard time getting the heavy spinners spinning with ~40% less energy
  • Wind drift is less (albeit marginally) at 200y shooting at 1100 than 830 (.217 40gr 2S RBT / RA4 BC 0.163 avg @0-60y / 17.7" twist)
Ballistics are another subject with the obvious variability with different barrel specs for a given projectile and the characteristics of the projectile itself. I've observed repeatedly under varying conditions and configurations that 1090-1100FPS is the superior velocity for 100y precision with a few different rifles and projectiles from 16-17.7" twist barrels that I have machined. This has nothing to do with harmonics and it's not coincidence.

That being said, BC and consistent precision at rimfire velocities are critical for most shooters to be competitive in NRL22. With respects to rimfire-like airgun projectiles, there certainly ARE a variety of airgun slugs that can level the projectile playing field, but rifle form factor / stability eliminates most PCPs from being on par with the typical .22LR that the rimfire folks are using.

The Panthera's form factor and power may be the closest that I've seen to date that could put PCPs in the same arena as rimfires. I'm a little concerned with some of the things that I'm hearing about valve stems getting bent with a tungsten hammer (may or may not have been a fluke) and the rail being wobbly. @RusBear - what are your feeling about the rigidity of the bipod rail and the rifle overall? Also, does it feel stable / solid shooting at 170bar or more?

Its going to be fun seeing what happens when the better NRL22 shooters in this sport use the Panthera this year!

POI shifts???
Will the frame and/or action flex with or without weights attached???
Is that action hogged out too much, looks like some pretty thin action walls on it???
Will the barrel going through plenum theory work out like we hope???
Other problems manifesting???

If those NRL22 Panthera guys can get .2+G1BC projectiles going 900-950 fps and get any and all "possible??" negatives alleviated while achieving comparable precision to 22rf then its gonna be "game on" because this airgun "should provide" lower Extreme Velocity Spreads/ES which will somewhat make up for the higher velocity the rimfire guys have.

Good 22rf ammo's are normally using a .15-ish G1 BC bullet going 1040-1110 fps with a 30-ish edit/ ES for comparisons sake.
So using a slug with a higher BC than .15 for an airgun is going to help even things up to 22rf ballistically speaking especially if ES is as low as, say 8.

If that bulldog Mike N designed a repeater rifle specifically for NRL22 it could be THE 22rf destroyer! His guns are incredibly stout rifles and very precise instruments for sure.

Last edited:
Hi, everybody! Let me introduce myself: Nikolay Boldov from Russia. Moscow, won Extreme Benchrest and American Field Target in 2019 (AZ, Extreme Benchrest) and 50 Yard Benchrest, One Gun Challenge in 2022 (AZ, Extreme Benchrest).

A few days ago, I’ve got my FX Panthera in .22 caliber. I consider this gun as a long range benchrest (150 yards) competition heavy slug (.22 40gr) shooter for my purposes.
My experience of slug shooting starts from 2017 when I began my experiments with 40gr slugs in .22 caliber, so I have a bit of experience in this topic.
I will try to describe my experiments, results, observations on this airgun in no-hype style with undoubtable (as much as possible) video proves here .
Technical details on FX Panthera can be found here: https://fxairguns.com/rifles/the-panthera/

Part 1. First acquaintance with Panthera out of the box

I will not describe Panthera’s appearance and it's main features here (yet) as you can find it in other youtuber’s videos. I will share my tests and results here.
View attachment 322090
View attachment 322091
View attachment 322092
View attachment 322093
Note: I’ve made a mistake saying that tungsten hummer is installed in my Panthera in my first post in social media about this gun. No tungsten hummers yet – just regular one, so this version is straight out of the box, no modification was made.

So, the very first thing I wanted to test is what speed and how many shots can this gun give me with it’s 300cc bottle and huge (156cc) plenum.

The result is 25 shots in 250-142 bar with 40gr slugs at the speed of 273 meters per second (896 fps). Average air consumption is 11,3 cubic centimeters of air per joule, that is a very good result as for me taking into account barrel length and projectile weight.

Here is the video prove and the table of calculations:

View attachment 322095

My first impression.

• I didn’t expect FX Panthera to be able to shoot those heavy slugs at that velocity (it should be rather accurate according to my experience) out of the box.
  • I really didn’t think that it would be possible to make 25 rather consistent shots from 300cc bottle
  • Really happy to have opportunity to shoot 40gr long (12,5mm / 0,5 inch) .22 slugs out of the box with usual magazine
  • I didn’t think that it would be possible to shoot those speeds with usual tube-like probe. I had to use pin probe for that needs in all my previous airguns.

Part 2. Know your gun power abilities​

The next step I’ve taken to get acquainted with my FX Panthera in a better way is knowing it’s power parameters. My thoughts were the following. Panthera has a huge power plenum of 156cc and it is not an easy task to take it all out during shooting (at least this comes out of my previous experience with this type of airguns). And my thoughts were that using MAX hammer spring tension is not a bad idea, because on high pressures I usually use, the hammer can barely harm the valve. So, there is nothing bad in setting the hammer to maximum power level (that is a bit above 4 micro wheel settings) and testing the gun on different regulator adjustments.

I’ve made my tests on 120 – 200 bar with the step of 10 bar and made 4 shots on each to get average velocity of that setting. I’m not sure if using regulator on the pressures above 170 bar is “legal” so don’t try to repeat. 😊

Here is the chart of results that I’ve got (just to remind – 40gr .2185 slug)

BarHammer setAverage velocity
FPS
Average velocity meters per second
120MAX827252
130MAX860262
140MAX892272
150MAX909277
160MAX938286
170MAX958292
180MAX975297
190MAX995303
200MAX1001305

You’ve got to take into account that the slugs I use are of rather big diameter - .2185 and of unusual shape – they are more like .22lr ammo. Usually slugs like H&N of the same weight gives +25-30 fps speed on the same settings (from my experience with FX Impact M3).

My intuition tells me that one of the most interesting setups for me (besides the one show in part one of that blog) will be the following:

175 bar reg pressure,

2,85 microwheel hammer settings

970 fps (294 meters per second) with my 40gr .2185 slugs

So, I decided to test that setup from 250 bar in the bottle and got 16 good shots. Here is the prove:

If everything goes fine, I plan to go outside and shoot at my shooting range tomorrow to at least 100 yards distance.

Part 3. Be wise with your hummer strike power

Past weekend was not the best to make accuracy tests outdoors, so I decided to have some tests and tuning indoors – in my workshop.

Is that a wise decision to use maximum hammer hit strike on lower reg pressures like 150 bar? Absolutely not. It will not increase the velocity of the projectile, but will raise your air consumption per shot to unreasonably high values. Here is what I’ve got during my test with reg pressure of 150 bar and 40gr .2185” slugs. 3 shots per every power settings were made and average result was put into the table.

Reg pressureMicro
adjustment
FPSMeters per second
150 bar1.25584178
150 bar1.5686209
150 bar1.75793242
150 bar2883269
150 bar2.25915279
150 bar2.5915279
150 bar2.75922281
150 bar3922281
150 bar3.25918280
150 bar3.5918280
150 bar3.75918280

So, as I got higher with micro wheel adjustment after 2.25 position, the sound of the shot became louder and the gun definitely vibrated much stronger every time. There is no need to go on higher hummer strike power – just the waste of air and destabilization of the projectile due to huge amount of useless air coming after it.

It is the simplest and obvious example of how it works. There is a curve of velocities going up, as we raise the hummer power from the lowest level, then you reach the maximum velocity and then stabilizing without any profits on velocity, but loss in air consumption. That is how it work with big plenums. Note: In case with low volume power plenum guns the curve will go down after the reached plateau of velocities if you will continue to increase hummer strike level.

I will not deny that there are some situations and reasons to go up to a bit higher hummer strike power after reaching the plateau, but it is the matter of very special purposes and should be done wisely with full knowledge of what you do and why.

Hi, everybody! Let me introduce myself: Nikolay Boldov from Russia. Moscow, won Extreme Benchrest and American Field Target in 2019 (AZ, Extreme Benchrest) and 50 Yard Benchrest, One Gun Challenge in 2022 (AZ, Extreme Benchrest).

A few days ago, I’ve got my FX Panthera in .22 caliber. I consider this gun as a long range benchrest (150 yards) competition heavy slug (.22 40gr) shooter for my purposes.
My experience of slug shooting starts from 2017 when I began my experiments with 40gr slugs in .22 caliber, so I have a bit of experience in this topic.
I will try to describe my experiments, results, observations on this airgun in no-hype style with undoubtable (as much as possible) video proves here .
Technical details on FX Panthera can be found here: https://fxairguns.com/rifles/the-panthera/

Part 1. First acquaintance with Panthera out of the box

I will not describe Panthera’s appearance and it's main features here (yet) as you can find it in other youtuber’s videos. I will share my tests and results here.
View attachment 322090
View attachment 322091
View attachment 322092
View attachment 322093
Note: I’ve made a mistake saying that tungsten hummer is installed in my Panthera in my first post in social media about this gun. No tungsten hummers yet – just regular one, so this version is straight out of the box, no modification was made.

So, the very first thing I wanted to test is what speed and how many shots can this gun give me with it’s 300cc bottle and huge (156cc) plenum.

The result is 25 shots in 250-142 bar with 40gr slugs at the speed of 273 meters per second (896 fps). Average air consumption is 11,3 cubic centimeters of air per joule, that is a very good result as for me taking into account barrel length and projectile weight.

Here is the video prove and the table of calculations:

View attachment 322095

My first impression.

• I didn’t expect FX Panthera to be able to shoot those heavy slugs at that velocity (it should be rather accurate according to my experience) out of the box.
  • I really didn’t think that it would be possible to make 25 rather consistent shots from 300cc bottle
  • Really happy to have opportunity to shoot 40gr long (12,5mm / 0,5 inch) .22 slugs out of the box with usual magazine
  • I didn’t think that it would be possible to shoot those speeds with usual tube-like probe. I had to use pin probe for that needs in all my previous airguns.

Part 2. Know your gun power abilities​

The next step I’ve taken to get acquainted with my FX Panthera in a better way is knowing it’s power parameters. My thoughts were the following. Panthera has a huge power plenum of 156cc and it is not an easy task to take it all out during shooting (at least this comes out of my previous experience with this type of airguns). And my thoughts were that using MAX hammer spring tension is not a bad idea, because on high pressures I usually use, the hammer can barely harm the valve. So, there is nothing bad in setting the hammer to maximum power level (that is a bit above 4 micro wheel settings) and testing the gun on different regulator adjustments.

I’ve made my tests on 120 – 200 bar with the step of 10 bar and made 4 shots on each to get average velocity of that setting. I’m not sure if using regulator on the pressures above 170 bar is “legal” so don’t try to repeat. 😊

Here is the chart of results that I’ve got (just to remind – 40gr .2185 slug)

BarHammer setAverage velocity
FPS
Average velocity meters per second
120MAX827252
130MAX860262
140MAX892272
150MAX909277
160MAX938286
170MAX958292
180MAX975297
190MAX995303
200MAX1001305

You’ve got to take into account that the slugs I use are of rather big diameter - .2185 and of unusual shape – they are more like .22lr ammo. Usually slugs like H&N of the same weight gives +25-30 fps speed on the same settings (from my experience with FX Impact M3).

My intuition tells me that one of the most interesting setups for me (besides the one show in part one of that blog) will be the following:

175 bar reg pressure,

2,85 microwheel hammer settings

970 fps (294 meters per second) with my 40gr .2185 slugs

So, I decided to test that setup from 250 bar in the bottle and got 16 good shots. Here is the prove:

If everything goes fine, I plan to go outside and shoot at my shooting range tomorrow to at least 100 yards distance.

Part 3. Be wise with your hummer strike power

Past weekend was not the best to make accuracy tests outdoors, so I decided to have some tests and tuning indoors – in my workshop.

Is that a wise decision to use maximum hammer hit strike on lower reg pressures like 150 bar? Absolutely not. It will not increase the velocity of the projectile, but will raise your air consumption per shot to unreasonably high values. Here is what I’ve got during my test with reg pressure of 150 bar and 40gr .2185” slugs. 3 shots per every power settings were made and average result was put into the table.

Reg pressureMicro
adjustment
FPSMeters per second
150 bar1.25584178
150 bar1.5686209
150 bar1.75793242
150 bar2883269
150 bar2.25915279
150 bar2.5915279
150 bar2.75922281
150 bar3922281
150 bar3.25918280
150 bar3.5918280
150 bar3.75918280

So, as I got higher with micro wheel adjustment after 2.25 position, the sound of the shot became louder and the gun definitely vibrated much stronger every time. There is no need to go on higher hummer strike power – just the waste of air and destabilization of the projectile due to huge amount of useless air coming after it.

It is the simplest and obvious example of how it works. There is a curve of velocities going up, as we raise the hummer power from the lowest level, then you reach the maximum velocity and then stabilizing without any profits on velocity, but loss in air consumption. That is how it work with big plenums. Note: In case with low volume power plenum guns the curve will go down after the reached plateau of velocities if you will continue to increase hummer strike level.

I will not deny that there are some situations and reasons to go up to a bit higher hummer strike power after reaching the plateau, but it is the matter of very special purposes and should be done wisely with full knowledge of what you do and why.
Thank you Nikolay, for a nice test, for the work and time you put into it for the benefit of others. 👍

Reactions: Mike.H and RusBear
Reactions: RusBear
A little more perspective.....

FX Panthera 700mm OAL = 49 inches
Taipan Veteran Short OAL = 23.6 inches (x2 47.2 inches)
View attachment 328060
Well, I really do not like Bullpups for hunting there is really no advantage for me so I much rather take a longer gun with ton more power and a low profile .....anyday.

Its going to be fun seeing what happens when the better NRL22 shooters in this sport use the Panthera this year!

POI shifts???
Will the frame and/or action flex with or without weights attached???
Is that action hogged out too much, looks like some pretty thin action walls on it???
Will the barrel going through plenum theory work out like we hope???
Other problems manifesting???

If those NRL22 Panthera guys can get .2+G1BC projectiles going 900-950 fps and get any and all "possible??" negatives alleviated while achieving comparable precision to 22rf then its gonna be "game on" because this airgun "should provide" lower Extreme Velocity Spreads/ES which will somewhat make up for the higher velocity the rimfire guys have.

Good 22rf ammo's are normally using a .15-ish G1 BC bullet going 1040-1110 fps with a 30-ish edit/ ES for comparisons sake.
So using a slug with a higher BC than .15 for an airgun is going to help even things up to 22rf ballistically speaking especially if ES is as low as, say 8.

If that bulldog Mike N designed a repeater rifle specifically for NRL22 it could be THE 22rf destroyer! His guns are incredibly stout rifles and very precise instruments for sure.
Steve, one thing I haven’t seen mentioned in this comparison is that that rimfires are generally easier to shoot, for obvious reasons (not as much going on inside from the time the trigger is pulled until the bullet departs the barrel). You shoot both, and showed Saturday at XFT why Rimfire is still significantly superior to airguns in EFT and PRS type events.

Reactions: mtnGhost and qball
A little more perspective.....

FX Panthera 700mm OAL = 49 inches
Taipan Veteran Short OAL = 23.6 inches (x2 47.2 inches)
View attachment 328060

As long as my gun is longer than everyone else’s guns I’m happy, longer the better! Wait…..what gun are we talking about again? 😂

Last edited:
Steve, one thing I haven’t seen mentioned in this comparison is that that rimfires are generally easier to shoot, for obvious reasons (not as much going on inside from the time the trigger is pulled until the bullet departs the barrel). You shoot both, and showed Saturday at XFT why Rimfire is still significantly superior to airguns in EFT and PRS type events.

Completely agree! Airguns are much more complex with a heavy weight/hammer flying forward striking a valve pin then the slug gets pushed forward......all these movements create multiple forces in different direction making recoil management quite difficult especially with guns have really heavy hammer like the unregulated big bore guns. I'm hoping the Panthera is as settled as the Crown with a medium to low power tune which is very similar to a medium weight 22LR rifle.

From multiple videos of Pathera shooting there is still significantly more recoil from a Pathera compared to a descent 22LR, but at least it seems the recoil is relatively straight back thanks to the chassis design. Then add some chassis weight and a heavy scope it might be really settled or relatively close to a 22LR. I'll find out when I get mine......eventually.

Do you walk and stalk? Panthera seems to be good for fishing or stationary shooting with little movement.
Absolutely, I mainly walk and stalk pretty dense Bush/Jungle too,....I fell into the Pup thing early on ( way before FX even started making them ) Pups are super sexy but there's more disadvantages then advantages when you walking and stalking and shots opportunities happen at a wide range of distancies,....I take a rifle with a low scope to the bore and a low profile over a pup anyday, anyday.

Pups really are only an advantage if you are in combact in a room to room situation 😉 I guess nowaday everyone feels like they are a special operator when walking around looking for squirrels :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:
Pups really are only an advantage if you are in combact in a room to room situation 😉 I guess nowaday everyone feels like they are a special operator when walking around looking for squirrels :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You say that because you haven’t seen a squirrel like the ones I have to deal with….
1675142007315.jpeg

That might be part of it as well?!
22RF's are usually heavier than AG's which helps stability. Also with the 22RF the carbon left in the barrel acts as a lubricant AND with the better ammo whatever "EEL SNOT" lubricant they use on the bullet sure works well. That's a good combination!
Barring any problems with a 22RF gun and as long as the barrel has been fouled - it also seems the first round out of a RF is more consistently going where it should and especially with the really high quality RF's like Vudoo, RimX, etc.

Wouldn't it be cool to have tracer slugs in XFT or PRS so we could see where every shot lands to help solve what's going on down there on the way to the target and where the heck we missed??!!🙂

That might be part of it as well?!
22RF's are usually heavier than AG's which helps stability. Also with the 22RF the carbon left in the barrel acts as a lubricant AND with the better ammo whatever "EEL SNOT" lubricant they use on the bullet sure works well. That's a good combination!
Barring any problems with a 22RF gun and as long as the barrel has been fouled - it also seems the first round out of a RF is more consistently going where it should and especially with the really high quality RF's like Vudoo, RimX, etc.

Wouldn't it be cool to have tracer slugs in XFT or PRS so we could see where every shot lands to help solve what's going on down there on the way to the target and where the heck we missed??!!🙂
But Steve, you only missed ONE of 48 with your Anschutz Saturday at XFT, and that was off hand!!! Great shooting~~~!!! The high airgun was 41/48.
We shot the NRL-22X match the following day at Rio Salado, and it quickly became apparent that .22RF is WAY superior to even the best .22 Airgun sluggers... The Airgun division winner did shoot a .22 FX Pantera and was at about 46%. The winning rimfire was over 65%... So not even close.
PS., sorry Nicolay for hijacking your thread - again. :(

Last edited:
But Steve, you only missed ONE of 48 with your Anschutz Saturday at XFT, and that was off hand!!! Great shooting~~~!!! The high airgun was 41/48.
We shot the NRL-22X match the following day at Rio Salado, and it quickly became apparent that .22RF is WAY superior to even the best .22 Airgun sluggers... The Airgun division winner did shoot a .22 FX Pantera and was at about 46%. The winning rimfire was over 65%... So not even close.
PS., sorry Nicolay for hijacking your thread - again. :(
Thanks Mike. It finally came together for me is all I can say???

As you know I can't stand low hit ratios matches so PRS/NRL with an airgun isn't for me. Heck even with a 22RF it's very hard to do and part of the reason why I threw in the towel on that sport.

46% is really good shooting considering the distances and difficultly levels of the X stages and I suppose that's pointing to the Panthera as a good airgun option for PRS/NRL.

But like you mentioned still not quite up there with 22RF.

Reactions: Centercut