FX Panther no-hype review and tests

Hi, everybody! Let me introduce myself: Nikolay Boldov from Russia. Moscow, won Extreme Benchrest and American Field Target in 2019 (AZ, Extreme Benchrest) and 50 Yard Benchrest, One Gun Challenge in 2022 (AZ, Extreme Benchrest).

A few days ago, I’ve got my FX Panthera in .22 caliber. I consider this gun as a long range benchrest (150 yards) competition heavy slug (.22 40gr) shooter for my purposes.
My experience of slug shooting starts from 2017 when I began my experiments with 40gr slugs in .22 caliber, so I have a bit of experience in this topic.
I will try to describe my experiments, results, observations on this airgun in no-hype style with undoubtable (as much as possible) video proves here .
Technical details on FX Panthera can be found here: https://fxairguns.com/rifles/the-panthera/

Part 1. First acquaintance with Panthera out of the box

I will not describe Panthera’s appearance and it's main features here (yet) as you can find it in other youtuber’s videos. I will share my tests and results here.
IMG_20230111_085922.jpg

IMG_20230111_085946.jpg

IMG_20230111_090047.jpg

IMG_20230111_090052.jpg

Note: I’ve made a mistake saying that tungsten hummer is installed in my Panthera in my first post in social media about this gun. No tungsten hummers yet – just regular one, so this version is straight out of the box, no modification was made.

So, the very first thing I wanted to test is what speed and how many shots can this gun give me with it’s 300cc bottle and huge (156cc) plenum.

The result is 25 shots in 250-142 bar with 40gr slugs at the speed of 273 meters per second (896 fps). Average air consumption is 11,3 cubic centimeters of air per joule, that is a very good result as for me taking into account barrel length and projectile weight.

Here is the video prove and the table of calculations:

Макс выстрелов на штатной настройке, редуктор на 140, поджим на 2.png

My first impression.

• I didn’t expect FX Panthera to be able to shoot those heavy slugs at that velocity (it should be rather accurate according to my experience) out of the box.
  • I really didn’t think that it would be possible to make 25 rather consistent shots from 300cc bottle
  • Really happy to have opportunity to shoot 40gr long (12,5mm / 0,5 inch) .22 slugs out of the box with usual magazine
  • I didn’t think that it would be possible to shoot those speeds with usual tube-like probe. I had to use pin probe for that needs in all my previous airguns.

Part 2. Know your gun power abilities​

The next step I’ve taken to get acquainted with my FX Panthera in a better way is knowing it’s power parameters. My thoughts were the following. Panthera has a huge power plenum of 156cc and it is not an easy task to take it all out during shooting (at least this comes out of my previous experience with this type of airguns). And my thoughts were that using MAX hammer spring tension is not a bad idea, because on high pressures I usually use, the hammer can barely harm the valve. So, there is nothing bad in setting the hammer to maximum power level (that is a bit above 4 micro wheel settings) and testing the gun on different regulator adjustments.

I’ve made my tests on 120 – 200 bar with the step of 10 bar and made 4 shots on each to get average velocity of that setting. I’m not sure if using regulator on the pressures above 170 bar is “legal” so don’t try to repeat. 😊

Here is the chart of results that I’ve got (just to remind – 40gr .2185 slug)

BarHammer setAverage velocity
FPS
Average velocity meters per second
120MAX827252
130MAX860262
140MAX892272
150MAX909277
160MAX938286
170MAX958292
180MAX975297
190MAX995303
200MAX1001305

You’ve got to take into account that the slugs I use are of rather big diameter - .2185 and of unusual shape – they are more like .22lr ammo. Usually slugs like H&N of the same weight gives +25-30 fps speed on the same settings (from my experience with FX Impact M3).

My intuition tells me that one of the most interesting setups for me (besides the one show in part one of that blog) will be the following:

175 bar reg pressure,

2,85 microwheel hammer settings

970 fps (294 meters per second) with my 40gr .2185 slugs

So, I decided to test that setup from 250 bar in the bottle and got 16 good shots. Here is the prove:

If everything goes fine, I plan to go outside and shoot at my shooting range tomorrow to at least 100 yards distance.

Part 3. Be wise with your hummer strike power

Past weekend was not the best to make accuracy tests outdoors, so I decided to have some tests and tuning indoors – in my workshop.

Is that a wise decision to use maximum hammer hit strike on lower reg pressures like 150 bar? Absolutely not. It will not increase the velocity of the projectile, but will raise your air consumption per shot to unreasonably high values. Here is what I’ve got during my test with reg pressure of 150 bar and 40gr .2185” slugs. 3 shots per every power settings were made and average result was put into the table.

Reg pressureMicro
adjustment
FPSMeters per second
150 bar1.25584178
150 bar1.5686209
150 bar1.75793242
150 bar2883269
150 bar2.25915279
150 bar2.5915279
150 bar2.75922281
150 bar3922281
150 bar3.25918280
150 bar3.5918280
150 bar3.75918280

So, as I got higher with micro wheel adjustment after 2.25 position, the sound of the shot became louder and the gun definitely vibrated much stronger every time. There is no need to go on higher hummer strike power – just the waste of air and destabilization of the projectile due to huge amount of useless air coming after it.

It is the simplest and obvious example of how it works. There is a curve of velocities going up, as we raise the hummer power from the lowest level, then you reach the maximum velocity and then stabilizing without any profits on velocity, but loss in air consumption. That is how it work with big plenums. Note: In case with low volume power plenum guns the curve will go down after the reached plateau of velocities if you will continue to increase hummer strike level.

I will not deny that there are some situations and reasons to go up to a bit higher hummer strike power after reaching the plateau, but it is the matter of very special purposes and should be done wisely with full knowledge of what you do and why.

Part 4. Brief review of FX Pantera and first try to shoot 40gr slugs to 100 yards​

Part 5. RECORD?!?!?​

Not much text this time - everything is in the video. 100 yards, .22 40gr slugs, 60 shots (6 groups by 10 shots) one by one without stop, single shutter made video as a prove - 0,97 MOA! It is not a hype - it is a fact. Amazed with FX Panthera stability, never met something like that before!

Last edited:
Thanks Nicolay, good report, I see you used Cole’s format @Franklink for reviews. I think what a lot of us want to see is how the gun does at the “.22 LR rimfire” equivalent power, since that’s what is advertised here in America. So 40 grain slug at 1030 to 1050 fps for 94 FPE. Shot count from 250 bar fill and also accuracy with those slugs that are readily available in America at the rimfire speeds.

Your testing is at 71 FPE. We haven’t seen that yet from anyone, since most reviewers are shooting the Panther with lighter 34 grain slugs at 1030 to 1050 fps (80 FPE)

Keith Gibson at 68 Whiskey shot the .25 caliber 41 grain ZAN slugs at 960 fps and got 15 shots from a 250 bar fill (84 FPE). Nothing wrong with that at all, since the gun is designed to compete against .22 Rimfire. Keith has had equivalent success as you in big tournaments.

We’d all like to see from you how the gun does as advertised. Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't see anything from FX about shooting at the same power levels as a .22 rimfire . Only that it will compete in the accuracy department.

Thanks for all the information. Some guys will be demanding you tell them how the barrel is attached. Heads could explode.
" This ability to precisely control air flow paired with the world-class FX Superior STX barrel using premium slugs will yield competition wins, and not just in airgun competitions. .22LR precision shooters will identify the ability to shoot the same BC slugs and weights they are used to"

Haven't seen it advertised as matching .22lr power. In the official FX release anyways.

Edit now I see they put out max power numbers as 96fpe in .22.(using tungsten hammer weight) But no shot count listed at max power. I imagine it wouldn't be great.

Last edited:
I think what a lot of us want to see is how the gun does at the “.22 LR rimfire” equivalent power, since that’s what is advertised here in America. So 40 grain slug at 1030 to 1050 fps for 94 FPE.
I wonder why people get .22 to the extreme. This power level can be achieved in .30 easily with a standard Impact and 600mm barrel. Is .22 dictated by the RPA law? Or maybe there is some other logical explanation?

I wonder why people get .22 to the extreme. This power level can be achieved in .30 easily with a standard Impact and 600mm barrel. Is .22 dictated by the RPA law? Or maybe there is some other logical explanation?
.22 has a better ballistic coefficient than .30

Thanks for sharing!

Question: you reg is 170 bars? That seems high without the tungsten hammer, does your speed increase if you lower the reg? Someone said that the 700m version can shoot 35 grain at 1000fps with reg at 135 or 145 bars.
Yeah my 700 is sending a .22 34g at 996-1000 at 135bar iirc. But that is with the hammer adjustment getting close to being tapped.

I thought he lost 142b as his get setting? Maybe I'm misheard/read. Edit: Oh I see in the picture it's that high.

Reactions: qball
Thanks for sharing!

Question: you reg is 170 bars? That seems high without the tungsten hammer, does your speed increase if you lower the reg? Someone said that the 700m version can shoot 35 grain at 1000fps with reg at 135 or 145 bars.
No, my Reg was at 145 at the moment I made the test, described in the first post. The photo was made later, when I continued my studies.

Thanks Nicolay, good report, I see you used Cole’s format @Franklink for reviews. I think what a lot of us want to see is how the gun does at the “.22 LR rimfire” equivalent power, since that’s what is advertised here in America. So 40 grain slug at 1030 to 1050 fps for 94 FPE. Shot count from 250 bar fill and also accuracy with those slugs that are readily available in America at the rimfire speeds.

Your testing is at 71 FPE. We haven’t seen that yet from anyone, since most reviewers are shooting the Panther with lighter 34 grain slugs at 1030 to 1050 fps (80 FPE)

Keith Gibson at 68 Whiskey shot the .25 caliber 41 grain ZAN slugs at 960 fps and got 15 shots from a 250 bar fill (84 FPE). Nothing wrong with that at all, since the gun is designed to compete against .22 Rimfire. Keith has had equivalent success as you in big tournaments.

We’d all like to see from you how the gun does as advertised. Thanks.
Hi, Mike. To tell you the truth I don't know what the Cole's format is - never heard about it - I write this blog in the way I feel to be right and logical, not making anyone's orders on topics and so on.
I really don't plan to get into and power competitions here, my aim is accuracy for benchrest shooting with slugs.

Hi, Mike. To tell you the truth I don't know what the Cole's format is - never heard about it - I write this blog in the way I feel to be right and logical, not making anyone's orders on topics and so on.
I really don't plan to get into and power competitions here, my aim is accuracy for benchrest shooting with slugs.
OK, it wasn't criticism, just commenting that your logical format is what Cole uses for all his long-term reviews (and it's a very good format). I think if that's your intent with the gun, you should state you're looking at it not as a PRS gun but as a mainly benchrest gun. That would clear things up for everyone...

OK, it wasn't criticism, just commenting that your logical format is what Cole uses for all his long-term reviews (and it's a very good format). I think if that's your intent with the gun, you should state you're looking at it not as a PRS gun but as a mainly benchrest gun. That would clear things up for everyone...
Why don't you just let him present the gun he bought in whatever way he chooses? You seem the only one confused.

From the first post.............................."I consider this gun as a long range benchrest (150 yards) competition heavy slug (.22 40gr) shooter for my purposes."

Last edited:
And I also would like to know if the marketing claims are true, which is really all @Centercut is asking this FX employee to demonstrate.
Of course the interpreter for Mike. Do you have any reason to think this gun with 150+cc plenum won't make 10 fpe more than the impact with a 72cc one? (In .22)

You guys really come off as bitter and petty.

Of course the interpreter for Mike. Do you have any reason to think this gun with 150+cc plenum won't make 10 fpe more than the impact with a 72cc one? (In .22)

You guys really come off as bitter and petty.
I think you're reading more into what I said than I meant. I'm just curious to know if what FX claimed in all the product release info is true. Centercut and I often disagree. In fact, one of the nastiest spats I've seen here on AGN was between him and me.

Reactions: Centercut
I think you're reading more into what I said than I meant. I'm just curious to know if what FX claimed in all the product release info is true. Centercut and I often disagree. In fact, one of the nastiest spats I've seen here on AGN was between him and me.
The product release says a max power of 95fpe in .22. What reason would you have to think that's not true? An M3 with a plenum half the size can do 85. I don't see it as far fetched at all. And you obviously called him an FX employee as some kind of derogatory slur. Come on dude.