FX new A.M.P regulator. Any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to Weatherby’s mod if anyone needs it.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crownimpact-regulator-mod-tutorial/

It describes reconfiguring the stack of Bellevilles (spring washers) from a series stack ()()()()() to using nested pairs in series (())(())((. That doubles the spring rate (makes it harder to compress) but halves the available travel. The former is a good thing if the original stack was getting squeezed flat from adjusting to a pressure that is too high for them. The latter can negatively affect repeatability/consistency but with the relatively large number of washers in the regulator, it should not be a problem and indeed does not seem to have surfaced for those who have made the change.

Another change was adding a flat washer to prevent the acetal (plastic) piece from being damaged.

BTW, toward the end of the thread someone noted taking theirs apart to do the mod but it already had been set that way from the factory. He said it was creeping 10 bar anyway, but that he lubricated everything well and reassembled and it came down to 2-3 bar. So that may be something else to be mindful of.

I kinda skimmed the thread but it looked like it was hit or miss as to whether the mod fixed the creep on some rifles. That is not surprising to me because the most common cause in my experience is some sort of imperfection in the valve seat. Could be a tiny scratch from a piece of grit zipping through the valve seat, from long term wear of having cycled many thousands of times, or from the surfaces being misaligned/out of square (more of an issue with large apertures on some regs). Also, note that a brand new regulator will often creep until it has been cycled perhaps as much as a few hundred times so it’s a good idea to first give it a break-in period before pursuing other remedies.

FWIW, I have never experienced creep from having the setpoint adjusted too high. I had briefly looked for a spring rate curve to see if the force climbs significantly as they near full compression but didn’t find anything definitive. Based on the geometry, I would expect the opposite but it may be counterintuitive...to my way of thinking, anyway 😀

So I heard that higher than serial number 189760 already has the AMP reg, is that right? The AMP reg is not like the one you can Reduce the pressure without degassing? I don't think so cause mine has a higher number, it has the 10 mm Spring washers, and the 16mm plastic piston valve. Don't think I would want to decrease the reg pressure with this setup. What makes the AMP special?

So I heard that higher than serial number 189760 already has the AMP reg, is that right? I don't think so cause mine has a higher number, it has the 10 mm Spring washers, and the plastic washer post and valve. Don't think I would want to decrease the reg pressure with this setup. Wish they would release some info and not just leave us guessing? Can crown owners, with the 10 mm washers, get the AMP reg as a replacement upgrade?

That would be the gen 3 regulator. If you want an upgrade I'd suggest this: 

https://www.huma-air.com/FX-Impact-and-FX-Crown-Tuning-Regulator-Gen-3

Doesn't newer impact and crown already have the amp reg?

…Generation 3 Impact X's (after Serial Number 183534) have the long (16mm) piston and large (10mm) housing (These are called AMP regulators)

Generation 2 Crowns (after Serial Number 180760) had the long (16mm) piston and the large (10mm) housing (These are called AMP regulators)…

The AMP regulators are able to be adjusted down without releasing pressure, but it is still recommended to fire at least 1 shot every 1/4 turn while adjusting down, to ensure nothing goes wrong. 

FX Airguns USA

Doesn't newer impact and crown already have the amp reg?

…Generation 3 Impact X's (after Serial Number 183534) have the long (16mm) piston and large (10mm) housing (These are called AMP regulators)

Generation 2 Crowns (after Serial Number 180760) had the long (16mm) piston and the large (10mm) housing (These are called AMP regulators)…

The AMP regulators are able to be adjusted down without releasing pressure, but it is still recommended to fire at least 1 shot every 1/4 turn while adjusting down, to ensure nothing goes wrong. 

FX Airguns USA

It's a little confusing the Gen 2 reg has the 16 mm piston but it has 8mm springs and the gen 2 crown has the gen 3 amp reg.? 

I have a puzzle with the Crown AMP reg, I got my hands on a slug liner and was testing it, so I increased the reg pressure to 150 bar and after 2 mags of shooting the reg pressure had dropped to 140 bar. I contacted fx and was told to just reset the reg back to 150 said the springs might be seating in? After testing one mag full the reg had crept up to 152 bar. I let it sit over night and today the reg read 150 so I started testing again but after one mag I found the reg had moved down again to 145 bar. WTF is going on? Anyone have any ideas? 

I have a puzzle with the Crown AMP reg, I got my hands on a slug liner and was testing it, so I increased the reg pressure to 150 bar and after 2 mags of shooting the reg pressure had dropped to 140 bar. I contacted fx and was told to just reset the reg back to 150 said the springs might be seating in? After testing one mag full the reg had crept up to 152 bar. I let it sit over night and today the reg read 150 so I started testing again but after one mag I found the reg had moved down again to 145 bar. WTF is going on? Anyone have any ideas?

It would seem that the spring washers and regulator might need cleaned and greased. My amp regulator does the same thing. They run about 5 bar lower while doing fast shot strings, and creep up to the max settings after settling in. I think it has a bit to do with the delrin/nylon piston. I've been thinking about how a brass piston with a thin delrin/nylon sealing disk would work out.

It would seem that the spring washers and regulator might need cleaned and greased. My amp regulator does the same thing. They run about 5 bar lower while doing fast shot strings, and creep up to the max settings after settling in. I think it has a bit to do with the delrin/nylon piston. I've been thinking about how a brass piston with a thin delrin/nylon sealing disk would work out.

Thanks for the comment, I've had problems with this AMP reg since the start. I've already cleaned it out and checked the orings and springs all looked ok. I'm going to test it again and see if the set screw is turning with each shot. But I'm switching it out for a huma reg as soon as it shows up.

To: FX

We shouldn't have to have this conversation! 

Thanks for the comment, I've had problems with this AMP reg since the start. I've already cleaned it out and checked the orings and springs all looked ok. I'm going to test it again and see if the set screw is turning with each shot. But I'm switching it out for a huma reg as soon as it shows up.

To: FX

We shouldn't have to have this conversation!

Could be gauge issue as well. Maybe get a Wika gauge or one of the new sets of digital models from FX? 

Need a word of advice? Trow away the junk regylator from you $2.000 gun, and replace it with a HUMA. 

WHat Huma type deoends on your serial number( nicely explained on the HUMA site.)

it is a WORLD of differrence with the decent Huma regulator. And i know, the AMP reg.. Is junk, just like the shamelessly admitted first type of $3-4 pressure gauges! (See lromo video of impact mkII)

One should expect a recall, to changevthe gauges to type 2( not the figital ones) 

While shooting, the plastic covers kept falling off! Needed to replace 2 of them, on a 6 months old gun that i paid $1850!! Never above 145 bar/ dhot about 3.000 pellets.

also 2 internal air leaks. And funny! NO WARRANTY ! Needed to pay parts & labor! And i treat it like a baby. 

The admittkng of the Chine, crap gauges, sold on thousands of +$1900 airguns, and laughing with it, dropped the bomt on me. Sold the Crown, and will never in the

rest if my life, spend one euro/dollar on FX stuff. JMHO ! 

I know the dont give a damn but i fees like they spit in my face!!

No warranty/retailer excuse :” hahaha, you must have had a Monday moring gun”’!

Need a word of advice? Trow away the junk regylator from you $2.000 gun, and replace it with a HUMA. 

WHat Huma type deoends on your serial number( nicely explained on the HUMA site.)

it is a WORLD of differrence with the decent Huma regulator. And i know, the AMP reg.. Is junk, just like the shamelessly admitted first type of $3-4 pressure gauges! (See lromo video of impact mkII)

One should expect a recall, to changevthe gauges to type 2( not the figital ones) 

While shooting, the plastic covers kept falling off! Needed to replace 2 of them, on a 6 months old gun that i paid $1850!! Never above 145 bar/ dhot about 3.000 pellets.

also 2 internal air leaks. And funny! NO WARRANTY ! Needed to pay parts & labor! And i treat it like a baby. 

The admittkng of the Chine, crap gauges, sold on thousands of +$1900 airguns, and laughing with it, dropped the bomt on me. Sold the Crown, and will never in the

rest if my life, spend one euro/dollar on FX stuff. JMHO ! 

I know the dont give a damn but i fees like they spit in my face!!

No warranty/retailer excuse :” hahaha, you must have had a Monday moring gun”’!

Thanks this guy already ordered one. As soon as I saw the plastic piston I knew it was going to be a problem!

It’s just a shame FX puts so much R&D into producing a fine “expensive” product, except the regulator design. At least something sure isn’t right with some of them. Anyway Huma has my business.

Thanks this guy already ordered one. As soon as I saw the plastic piston I knew it was going to be a problem!

It’s just a shame FX puts so much R&D into producing a fine “expensive” product, except the regulator design. At least something sure isn’t right with some of them. Anyway Huma has my business.

The only R&D they do, is for a few guys! And hou made the correct decision to order a Huma. And they know it @ FX Sweden! So why not instantly build in a Huma instead of Chinese junk? Gauges are ghe same story! I call it scandalous! Putting ,self claimed, junk parts into guns that costs around $2.000 !!

And they only show the youtube vidros of the South-qftican dude, who gets all for free. IF it shoots, and air stzys in, it are good guns. BUT you MUST buy decent gauges and a decent regulator on top! To me, this sounds NOT normal!

Sold the Crown, i will NEVER spend onother €/$ on any FX stuff! I am a working class guy, that needed to save a LONG time to buy a FX Crown, to come to the fact, that there zre $3-4 Chinese gauges on it(who’s covers fall onto the floor while shooting). Also, the so called AMP regulator(junk) and internal air leaks, WITHOUT ANY $ warranty!!! No, they joke around, saying it must be a “Monday-morning” gun! 5-6 god da***d old!! And the “drop” was the shamelessly admitting, that THOUSANDS of FX guns have CRAP pressure gzuges!! Recall? NO WAY! My first gauge stayed stuck at 100 bar, about 1 month old/ +/- 1000 pellets. NEEDED TO PAY THE GAUGE! 

Im pretty sure the SA guy & champion dhooters need yo pay zip!!

And while typing this, i STILL can’t believe it, that they put Junk parts into $2000 guns! But they do!

Done for me. Lost a LOT of money! Thx FX !!!

Aside from the gauges and regulators that you guys take issue with, how did/do your FX rifles shoot?

I never had the Streamline on the range to shoot groups, but the Wildcat, Crown and ImpactX I had on the range all did 1moa or better at 100 yds.

The WC had a Huma reg, the Crown and Impact have AMP regs. All three gave single-digit ES shot strings.

Just to put things into perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.