• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX MKIII BT randomly inconsistent

Hi y'all I'm having accuracy issues with my new MKIII. I got it a couple of months ago and have it tuned for 960fps with Javelin 22 slugs (23grs .218 head).
Then today while I was shooting I started getting pretty bad groups. Prior I was easily putting 5 or more pellets in one ragged hole at 50yards and within an inch at 100.
Today I'd get a couple slugs touch in a separate groups. Two left, three right, one left, 2 right etc. I also noticed that the holes in the target at time were more ragged instead of a nice hole punch in the paper. I'd also have some shots there were just very low, but a few inches at least.
Is there something I should be looking at or checking? I don't know my way around an air rifle yet so please be patient if I ask something dumb.
Thanks

Hey y'all so I just went to chrono and test.
It was

When it was in that 750-850 range the gun wasn't cocking properly. Sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. There was also a small mechanical grinding sound when I went to cock it. Then it just stopped and I got those 1000fps strings.

Last edited:
Hey y'all so I just went to chrono and test.
It was

When it was in that 750-850 range the gun wasn't cocking properly. Sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. There was also a small mechanical grinding sound when I went to cock it. Then it just stopped and I got those 1000fps strings.
I wonder if IHS is maxed out causing cocking issues and inconsistencies.

I’m no expert on the mk3, but I had a similar issue with my mk2 when the hammer weight got stuck inside the hammer. If you’re having inconsistencies THAT bad, and your reg is staying constant, I’d look for mechanical issues with the hammer/cocking assembly. There’s been issues with the rear adjusters getting gouged up and hammer damage occurring. If you’re rear block is getting gouged or the hammer is damaged in any way (could be possibly with the grinding you’re hearing while cocking) the. It would certainly cause the issues you’re seeing.
id remove the power wheel, and pull the hammer and weight out to see if there’s scoring or damage.

I’m no expert on the mk3, but I had a similar issue with my mk2 when the hammer weight got stuck inside the hammer. If you’re having inconsistencies THAT bad, and your reg is staying constant, I’d look for mechanical issues with the hammer/cocking assembly. There’s been issues with the rear adjusters getting gouged up and hammer damage occurring. If you’re rear block is getting gouged or the hammer is damaged in any way (could be possibly with the grinding you’re hearing while cocking) the. It would certainly cause the issues you’re seeing.
id remove the power wheel, and pull the hammer and weight out to see if there’s scoring or damage.
Gotcha. Can you point me to a good resource on disassembling this thing?
The sounds also completely stopped after shot 7 this morning.

So kept going. Got some more awesome shots then it dropped it again. I looked at the wheel and this is what I see.
I'm not sure how to degass this gun? Its the BT model

20220724_140335.jpg

Hi y'all I'm having accuracy issues with my new MKIII. I got it a couple of months ago and have it tuned for 960fps with Javelin 22 slugs (23grs .218 head).
Then today while I was shooting I started getting pretty bad groups. Prior I was easily putting 5 or more pellets in one ragged hole at 50yards and within an inch at 100.
Today I'd get a couple slugs touch in a separate groups. Two left, three right, one left, 2 right etc. I also noticed that the holes in the target at time were more ragged instead of a nice hole punch in the paper. I'd also have some shots there were just very low, but a few inches at least.
Is there something I should be looking at or checking? I don't know my way around an air rifle yet so please be patient if I ask something dumb.
Thanks
I have the same gun with exact same problems minus the grinding. Did you figure out what was wrong I'm ready to use mine for a boat anchore