• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX mk2 700mm carbon fiber sleeve?

Duh. In the title. I have the same gun, Power Plenum, .22. It has a Standard Superior liner. My original pellet liner shot slugs beautifully, then everything went to pot. I tried a CF sleeve with no benefit, then Slug A no better, then Superior no better, til I figured out I had bent the sleeve that the liner fits inside while struggling to take off the shroud. Now I have the Superior in, shooting very well again after replacing the bent sleeve. So I don't know whether the CF improved anything, and with the gun shooting well I don't want to make any changes to find out. Anyway, what liner, slug, and tune? 

I can't get good results with NSA or Knockouts, and only OK with Hybrids, but H&N 23 gr .218 works great. My reg is at 95, wheel on Max, hammer preload adjuster at 0.726, valve adjuster at 0.350 which is just beyond the third line, getting about 920 fps. I did not find that faster is better, but some folks here are shooting over 950. Before I bent my sleeve my pellet liner was shooting the 23 gr .218 H&N well at about 890.

If it doesn't shoot slugs well without the sleeve it's not going to shoot them well with it. The carbon sleeves will help with a harmonic tune a little and tighten up on POI drift but they are not a magic fix. Some barrels like the STX and Superior will be a bit more picky on which slugs they will shoot but may do OK with the lighter weights when the gun is tuned properly. The STX Slug A and Superior Heavy will take to the slugs much better and will shoot some pellets well also.

I’m playing with my tune now so I can’t give you specifics yet. I have .25 700mm barrel with superior liner. I know the sleeve isn’t a magic fix, I just figured if I am going to have to start from scratch I want upgrade components as I go

my setup is very close to yours except I have the superior heavy. If you want to shoot slugs in .25 then just get the superior heavy and then put the carbon sleeve on. the superior liner doesn’t have enough twist rate for most of the slugs, it’s made for the hybrids. The carbon sleeve Shrunk my 100 meter groups from mostly 2-4 inch groups and some 1-2 inch groups to mostly 1-2 inch groups and some sub 1 inch group. It reduced the harmonics problem tremendously! 

Also don’t bother with lower reg pressure, it’s not good for accuracy and wastes a lot of air. Just go straight to 140-150 bars and use hammer spring to get the speed you want. Watch Matt duber’s video on how to tune a high power gun.