• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx Mavrick sniper .25 cal or .30 cal

Many people suggest that .25 is the most versatile caliber. Cost of pellets and air consumption as noted above are the pros to .25 as compared to .30.

.30 allows you to take out some larger medium sized game and also increases your effective range as it’s sending more energy down range, but at the cost of air and cost per round.

If you’re just small hunting birds within 100 yards or less, the .25 should be plenty adequate for your needs, but to some people bigger is just better. There’s videos of people pesting pigeons at 300+ yards with a .30 cal impact

Many people suggest that .25 is the most versatile caliber. Cost of pellets and air consumption as noted above are the pros to .25 as compared to .30.

.30 allows you to take out some larger medium sized game and also increases your effective range as it’s sending more energy down range, but at the cost of air and cost per round.

If you’re just small hunting birds within 100 yards or less, the .25 should be plenty adequate for your needs, but to some people bigger is just better. There’s videos of people pesting pigeons at 300+ yards with a .30 cal impact
This is true. I would say the .30 may actually be the very most versatile for taking a wide range of game.. from squirrels to hogs with same fun just tuned different.

Reactions: Jnine
Hey people I'm trying to decided if I should get my new fx maverick in .25 cal or .30 cal can you help with pros and cons for both I'm hunting birds at 78+ yrd
The .25 has more options for ammo, has plenty of power for the use your looking for and you will get more shots per fill, and will have enough power if you do find a need for some small game , squirrel, raccoon , pests like that

Why not .22?

I've got Mav Snipers in both .22 and .30. Both have been surprisingly (to me) accurate out to the 100 yards I have shot them. With their big plenums and longer barrels, both have plenty of power for the heaviest pellets (I am a 99+% pellet shooter).

For birds (or even ground squirrels) out to at least 100 yards, a .22 Mav Sniper shooting the heavier 25.39 grain pellet will really get the job done. The 25.39 .22 pellet will have a better BC as compared to the .25 cal 25.39 due to its smaller cross-sectional area. Its weight will help with any wind, and its better BC will allow it to carry good energy to the target.

I've only shot a .25 cal Mav in the Compact model. But if your heart is set on .25 or .30, I can't see where one could go too far wrong with a .25.

If you’re ready to deal with poi shifts if you don’t baby it, then any cal will be fine.

That’s why FX are selling carbon sleeve and barrel tensioner.

This is just my own experience with the Mav I used to own. Other will said otherwise.

But if you have your heart set on the maverick, get it on the classified for around $1200.

Last edited:
Hey people I'm trying to decided if I should get my new fx maverick in .25 cal or .30 cal can you help with pros and cons for both I'm hunting birds at 78+ yrd
.25 , As you can tune it down for close up low power shooting in a barn and tune it up for long range Dove, Pigeons or Starlings at 100+
More flex with the .25 and less expensive.
JMO

Patrick

Reactions: Hard2hurt223
I have a Maverick in .25 with a DonnyFL Ronin on it. My main goal was to push the instant off switch for squirrels while not drawing any attention from close neighbors. I can tell you it is PERFECT for this task. Like many of us, once you catch this sickness you want to try more, and I have wanted to try it in .30. I had the chance to do a direct comparison with a friend's .30 and as many have stated, it was noticeably louder. The report was a little louder and the sound of the impact, even when hitting a tree rat, was much louder. If I had a place to go where I didn't care about sound levels and I needed to take shots beyond 100 yards often, I would have a .30 for that, otherwise I see no reason to ever need anything but my .25.