• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Maverick vs RTI Prophet

I am looking for people who have experience with both. .22 version. I have a Maverick on order, but who knows when they will be available. I could get a RTI Prophet now if I wanted to instead.

I am looking for more of a slug shooter since I already have a Taipan Vet and a FX Wildcat MKI that shoot pellets great. They are both about the same price. Also looking for easy tuneability. Not the most patient or tech savvy in that regard. Any input would be great.

Get a Maverick or wait until RTI introduces a slug barrel. I built a slug barrel for my RTI but liked it better as a pellet gun. The advantage the FX has is you have quite a few options to get a slug to work. You have 2 Superior straws and slug straw to try. The drawback is that kind of versatility is weak compared to a 15mm solid barrel. But if that solid barrel doesn’t shoot what you want, you’re done. For now, I would go with the Maverick if you can ever get one.

I've got both.

A Maverick Compact and and an RTI Prophet Performance, both in .22 .

Just as shooters, I like the Maverick better, but that's a personal thing more than a, "tuner" thing. My range is shorter than most, so "tuning" is not a big deal to me.

I like the Maverick better at the shoulder, it's also quieter without the addition of an add-on silencer. My Prophet is much louder than the Maverick, even though the Prophet was "tuned" by the seller to shoot the 18.1 gr pellets at a slightly lower pressure than the Maverick. Right now, the Prophet has an additional silencer, the Maverick, does not.

I see the shorter Maverick as a little more what I like in a rifle (shorter, easier to maneuver in tight areas), as the Prophet is more of a long range gun. That said, I must say that I shoot...offhand. No bipods or benches used here. I've got a red dot (Meprolight 21, delta dot) on the Maverick, a scope on the Prophet. One thing that I don't...like about the Prophet is the panels on the side of the gun. They have hard, somewhat sharp corners on them and easily try to dig into the back of your thumb. One guy, in this site, made a 3D cover for that area for his gun, another guy removed the offending plate and filed the sharp edges away, which is what I may do.

The triggers are both adjustable in both. Both very nice.

** Something that may help you, no matter which gun that you buy, there are more vertical grips available to make your hand position MUCH more comfortable. I have a "vertical" (0 angle from the barrel centerline), and a 15° grip on my Prophet. Both are much more comfortable than the original AR-15 style grips that come on both guns. Like this one - https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ergo-tdx-0-flat-top-deluxe-zero-angle-suregrip-black/FC-874748009188.html

Have fun.

Mike

yeah. I have been watching some reviews on the prophet. It looks to be more of a pellet barrel. But they say you can shoot pellets at faster speed and stay stable with the prophet performance version.

pellets will be pellets no matter the speed and pellets will never out shoot slugs after 70-80 yards in the same caliber unless there is no wind at all. 

to FX’s credit and Prophets defense it’s not easy to make a barrel that can shoot both slug and pellet well. FX definitely cracked the code on the .22 superior barrel, never seen any barrel that is any where near as good with both types of ammo.