FX Maverick VP 22 as first pcp

Hi newbie here , I have been looking at the fx maverick vp 22. to use as a cheap Quiet,. trainer for benchrest (currently shooting 22lr), no silencers in aus

the maverick seems to have a good shot count even with the smaller bottle on the vp,the local shop tried to sell me a aselkon (turkish).

half the price of the maverick 1200 vs 2400. I was keen on the umarex gauntlet2 but cant find dealers in aus as of yet.

any advice/ thoughts

why not if you got the funds .. youll need support equipment to, like a tank, compressor, various hoses fittings and fill adapters scope ...personally if i was just starting out and wanted a good setup for less specifically to get bench time id get a kratos 22, westhunter 6-24X, an altaros external reg, a used firemans tank, a yong heng, a caldwell rock jr rest and rear bag, and whatever hoses and fittings i needed on ebay ..

Ben,

Welcome to the wonderful world of PCP airguns. You can’t go wrong with a FX for its accuracy, reliability, flexibility, service and reputation. The only hesitation I would have is cost. There are fine alternatives for less but few, if any, can beat a FX.

I own a couple of them, including a Maverick with .22 and .30 barrels, and I am highly satisfied. I am also relatively new to PCPs. My start was a highly recommended economy PCP and a hand pump for backyard plinking. I quickly realized I love PCPs and began upgrading. Backyard plinking is still the only thing I am doing but I wanted better equipment. So if you have already decided on PCP and an additional AUS1000 is not painful to you, I would say a Maverick VP may be the best value choice. Buying anything less may very well be a waste of money.

I would suggest you also consider the Impact, it is superior in ergonomics and flexibility if you have the extra cash. I have played with both Impact and Maverick a lot. If you have sensitive ears, Maverick has the hammer and valve right next to your ear. It doesn’t bother me but the sound is obvious. Those items are located in the middle of the gun for the Impact, much nicer (but of course more complex so may hurt the reliability or repair cost). The only thing I don’t like about the Impact is the huge magazine besides the higher price. You may actually prefer the large capacity of the Impact magazine.

No matter what you choose to buy, PCP guns are fun!

Charles

The Maverick is a great gun, but perhaps not the best for your application.

I read into your post (maybe inaccurately or assuming too much) that you want the airgun as a trainer for (competitive?) benchrest shooting? If so, I would not really recommend the Maverick due to its bullpup configuration. Bullpups just don't settle down at the shooting bench as steady as a traditional stocked rifle. Unless your current .22 LR rifle is also a bullpup. training with the Maverick would not as directly translate to shooting your current rifle.

Perhaps the less expensive Dreamline Classic would be a better gun for your needs?

Ben -

The Maverick is a fine gun. I have the short (Compact) version.

ANY rifle can be shot off a bench, Don't let anyone tell you different. ANY rifle that you set up is going to have its own nuances that you'll have to deal with in your setup. 

The bullpups bigger situation, is many people do not like the mechanical sounds coming from the receiver. Many call is a "ping", but it's actually much more than a...ping. It's the trigger action, the movement of the sear, the movement of the hammer, hammer spring, the hammer hitting the valve, the valve opening and letting the air out of the cylinder. So yeah, there's a lot of mechanical sounds...right there under your ear. Some like to complain about it, some (like me) just ignore it as a part of shooting a short rifle.

Have fun with your new quest.

Mike

Reactions: Reg Creep
A PCP is a great practice tool for powder burners. If shooting from a bench, I would choose the Crown with a Saber Tactical stock over the Maverick. The Maverick will shoot quite well off the bench, but it is a bullpup and shoots like a bullpup. There is a ping. It's not a big deal on a Maverick, put a pcp bullpup has the action right under your head and ear, and it's noticeable. If your 22lr bench rifle is a bullpup, the Maverick would make sense for training. If you want to hunt with the gun as well, then a Maverick is more appealing. I use 380mm and 500mm barrels in my Crown because I hunt with it, and any longer on that rifle feels quite long in the woods. I still walk about with the Maverick and a 700mm barrel. Just off the bench and for overall shooting pleasure, the Crown is absolutely amazing: smooth, accurate, and quiet.

For any PCP you're going to shoot a lot, a dependable air source is essential.

A regular crack habit is probably cheaper. You've been warned.

well it seems my biggest problem with any of the fx guns is availiability,3-6 months, waiting for dealer to see what he .can get.

the second hand ones seem to be nearly new price.

worst case i can get the aselkon mx9 and perhaps trade it back later on a fx (i am a bit keen on the 2 x reg design) you never know i may be happy with the aselkon.

meanwhile i ordered a comp from ebay vevor brand,258$ with code https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/194261369816

hope its ok, i have had ok luck with other vevor stuff previously ... .

well it seems my biggest problem with any of the fx guns is availiability,3-6 months, waiting for dealer to see what he .can get.

the second hand ones seem to be nearly new price.

worst case i can get the aselkon mx9 and perhaps trade it back later on a fx (i am a bit keen on the 2 x reg design) you never know i may be happy with the aselkon.

meanwhile i ordered a comp from ebay vevor brand,258$ with code https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/194261369816

hope its ok, i have had ok luck with other vevor stuff previously ... .
You just have to search the internet a bit. While shopping for an FX Maverick, I saw every FX model available somewhere.