• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Maverick Tuning...SORT OF

I'm jumping in on this thread for advice, seems like you guys have tried a lot of different combos. I recently purchased the Maverick with 600mm barrel. Regs set at 140/110. I shoot the JSB 34 grain pellets on PW7 with those reg pressures and like the accuracy. Great groups at 45-50 yards and also have a 6"x6" target at 115 yards that is easy to hit. I also shoot JSB 25 grains on PW4 and at 45-50 yards they make a nice group. However, I cannot get the JSB 25 grains to shoot straight at the 115 yard target, they miss right. I have to adjust 4-5 MOA left of target to get them to hit at 115 yards with no wind. I have leveled the rifle and scope to make sure it's not a cant issue. Any thoughts on why this is occurring with the 25 grain pellet? Thanks.
Is it always the same 115 yard target in the same spot?

If yes, my guess is that its wind. Somewhere along that 115 yard walk out to the target. The 34g are 9 grains heavier, that’s a lot - so they may buck the wind better.

I’ve got a .25 that I prefer the feel of the rifle better when shooting the 25g, but the 34g have been more consistent on breezier days. So I wind up with two tunes: the 25s at 900fps and the 34s at 875fps after turning in the hammer spring a bit…

I’m using the .25 for 100 yard target shooting. Wind is ALWAYS a factor at 100 yards +

-Ed

Maybe try indexing your barrel...
Is it always the same 115 yard target in the same spot?

If yes, my guess is that its wind. Somewhere along that 115 yard walk out to the target. The 34g are 9 grains heavier, that’s a lot - so they may buck the wind better.

I’ve got a .25 that I prefer the feel of the rifle better when shooting the 25g, but the 34g have been more consistent on breezier days. So I wind up with two tunes: the 25s at 900fps and the 34s at 875fps after turning in the hammer spring a bit…

I’m using the .25 for 100 yard target shooting. Wind is ALWAYS a factor at 100 yards +

-Ed
Yes, same 115 yard target in same spot. There wasn't any wind to speak of the 2 times I tried the 25 grain JSB's and both times the pellets were missing right of target at that distance. I thought my gun or scope might be canted so I double-checked all of that and made sure it wasn't. I get that wind can be a factor at 100yards but the pellet is moving @ 5-6 inches right at that distance when there is little to no wind. That's a lot of movement. It's a 6" square target and I have to aim off the target to hit it. At 45 yards the 25's are basically spot on so I'm struggling to understand how they can be accurate at 45 yards and miss miserably at 115?

Yes, same 115 yard target in same spot. There wasn't any wind to speak of the 2 times I tried the 25 grain JSB's and both times the pellets were missing right of target at that distance. I thought my gun or scope might be canted so I double-checked all of that and made sure it wasn't. I get that wind can be a factor at 100yards but the pellet is moving @ 5-6 inches right at that distance when there is little to no wind. That's a lot of movement. It's a 6" square target and I have to aim off the target to hit it. At 45 yards the 25's are basically spot on so I'm struggling to understand how they can be accurate at 45 yards and miss miserably at 115?
Todays wild guess, or oh you're kidding as you hit your head on the wall moment, take the barrel out and make sure the transfer port is tight, then make sure the shroud is on snug. AND, just for giggles try shooting without a suppressor. I doubt you're clipping but leave no pellet unturned. If you are using a FFP scope make sure your Parallax is spot on. Not just focus but the thing doesn't move when you move your head.

Reactions: Sideout
I'm jumping in on this thread for advice, seems like you guys have tried a lot of different combos. I recently purchased the Maverick with 600mm barrel. Regs set at 140/110. I shoot the JSB 34 grain pellets on PW7 with those reg pressures and like the accuracy. Great groups at 45-50 yards and also have a 6"x6" target at 115 yards that is easy to hit. I also shoot JSB 25 grains on PW4 and at 45-50 yards they make a nice group. However, I cannot get the JSB 25 grains to shoot straight at the 115 yard target, they miss right. I have to adjust 4-5 MOA left of target to get them to hit at 115 yards with no wind. I have leveled the rifle and scope to make sure it's not a cant issue. Any thoughts on why this is occurring with the 25 grain pellet? Thanks.
It sounds to me like the pellet hitting right of point of aim when shooting out to 115 yards is simply spin drift. Not a problem with the rifle. It's just normal for a right-hand twisting projectile. If you have the strelock pro app and you go to the trouble to learn how to plug in all the numbers (I quit using it because it's too complicated for me), it will give you an estimate of how far to the right the pellet/slug will hit. Keith from the 68 Whiskey youtube channel used that app and kind of walked through it and said that it always under-estimated the spin drift so he had to mentally figure his projectile at longer distances would hit even more to the right than the strelock app guessed.

grungy

Reactions: Sideout