Tuning FX Maverick - shroud removal

I'm preparing to install the carbon sleeve for my FX Maverick 0.25 cal. Am I to understand correctly that all I need to do is twist the shroud off? I believe, if I also understand correctly, there's a bit of loctite holding in. I've not been able to so far just twist it off - assuming it's because of some loctite in there. I've really not seen any videos for the FX Maverick showing how it comes off. Thanks.

maverick shroud.1636948635.jpg

Tracy,

You should be able to just unscrew it while mounted, no "Loctite" should have been applied. I would suggest by your photo, to put the assembly back in the breach and then try to unscrew the shroud from the sleeve screw. If the sleeve screw comes out attached within the shroud, that is a problem. Not likely though as the sleeve screw is usually very snug compared to the shroud. I hope this is encouraging considering your dilemma, but trust me, it will come off. When reassembling put a little silicone on the sleeve/barrel screw and just snug the shroud down, no cranking needed. Keep us posted.

Patrick

I was finally able to finally get it off - took a rubber shim that I have for bicycle accessories that attaches to a handle bar to get the proper grip. It's a little tough to grab it as slippery as that tube is. Thank you much for offering advice.

UPDATE:

... and, well, I spoke too soon - now getting that jam nut (I believe is what I've heard it called) is very hard to unscrew; again, because the tube is so slippery -- any advice to how to get enough grip would be wonderful.

I was finally able to finally get it off - took a rubber shim that I have for bicycle accessories that attaches to a handle bar to get the proper grip. It's a little tough to grab it as slippery as that tube is. Thank you much for offering advice.

UPDATE:

... and, well, I spoke too soon - now getting that jam nut (I believe is what I've heard it called) is very hard to unscrew; again, because the tube is so slippery -- any advice to how to get enough grip would be wonderful.

20211114_205512.1636952138.jpg

If it is this sliver nut after removing the shroud you can still remove that by re-installing the barrel back into the gun until it seats and use a 10 mm wrench to spin nut off.

If you take the liner and barrel and shroud all off you can look down the liner and see if the liner is centered in the barrel. I noticed a little lip and when I placed the carbon sleeve over the liner there was several inches of bare liner not covered by by the carbon sleeve. There were three O rings which were replaced on the liner. I put two on the breech side and one down barrel. This seemed to really center the liner in the barrel, and l loved the tight grouping that seemed to result from my efforts.

Hope this helps

If you take the liner and barrel and shroud all off you can look down the liner and see if the liner is centered in the barrel. I noticed a little lip and when I placed the carbon sleeve over the liner there was several inches of bare liner not covered by by the carbon sleeve. There were three O rings which were replaced on the liner. I put two on the breech side and one down barrel. This seemed to really center the liner in the barrel, and l loved the tight grouping that seemed to result from my efforts.

Hope this helps

That can help. I've had excellent results using PTFE tape between the liner and CF tubing, as well as between the tubing and barrel sleeve.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am struggling to get my shroud off. I cannot turn the shroud loose.

I have tried it with barrel mounted, shroud does not move, the barrel housing with shroud just unscrews from the barrel attachment at ‘breech’ end.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Use a good strap wrench while the barrel is in the rifle.
If that doesn't work, chuck the barrel in a vise with wood on both sides and see if you can grip and turn it with both hands (usually works). If not, use the strap wrench.